Type 1 Covid effects

Christina66

FULLY VACCINATED TYPE 1 - can anyone share their experience of catching Covid after being fully vaccinated please?
I’ve searched on this group and can only see old posts re vaccination.
My consultant has “advised caution for all those with diabetes” and that “people with diabetes have a higher risk” and to “social distance and wear a mask still”.
I’ve lost two people to Covid and my best friend is currently very ill with it and she had no underlying conditions. I volunteer at my local Community centre but I’ve told them I can no longer volunteer from 19th (when all restrictions are removed) as I don’t want to put myself at risk. A local cafe posted on Facebook that they will continue with the current safety measures and they have been ridiculed and challenged by people all over the country and they’ve now switched off comments. I’d posted my thanks to them and I, daily, have people laughing at my thanks. Is this what it’s going to be like if I continue to wear a mask? I know we’re all unique with different underlying conditions but I’d really value YOUR experience. Any type 1’s who’ve had Covid then please share.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I’m a type 2 so not exactly what you’re asking, I also have asthma and I’m a few years older than you, I am double jabbed (second dose was 24th April).
I have been taking all precautions I can throughout the pandemic but still got ill on 8th July and tested positive the following day. I have suffered mild fever, runny nose, hacking cough, fatigue and I’ve lost my sense of smell. I will be continuing to wear a mask in crowded spaces from 19th (well 20th actually as that’s when my self isolation ends) and I don’t care if I’m ridiculed. I will use a three layer fabric mask with a five layer filter insert, which I believe gives more protection to the wearer as well as those around them.

EK297

I think a lot of businesses are continuing to ask people to wear masks. And a lot of people will continue to mask up, social distance and so on. There are some people that will think this is ridiculous. Honestly, though, you need to do what you feel comfortable doing.

I will be continuing to wear a mask in any situations where I’m coming into contact with people I don’t know in enclosed spaces.

I tested positive for COVID shortly after my first vaccine. I felt pretty awful but it was something I was able to manage at home - the hardest but was trying to handle a very hyperactive four year old! I was incredibly tired, and my blood sugars were a bit crazy. There as never a point for me where I felt hospital treatment was even a worry - felt more like a bad cold/mild flu-type illness that o could manage on my own.

Hope this helps!

Em

Christina66

Yes, thank you. I’m guessing you’re younger than me though if you have a 4 year old so it would be great to hear from any over 50’s who’ve experienced Covid. So sorry you’ve been through that but I really appreciate you sharing your experience. Thank you.

Christina66

I’m a type 2 so not exactly what you’re asking, I also have asthma and I’m a few years older than you, I am double jabbed (second dose was 24th April).
I have been taking all precautions I can throughout the pandemic but still got ill on 8th July and tested positive the following day. I have suffered mild fever, runny nose, hacking cough, fatigue and I’ve lost my sense of smell. I will be continuing to wear a mask in crowded spaces from 19th (well 20th actually as that’s when my self isolation ends) and I don’t care if I’m ridiculed. I will use a three layer fabric mask with a five layer filter insert, which I believe gives more protection to the wearer as well as those around them.