1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

COVID vaccine and extremely high blood sugars

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Violingirl, Feb 21, 2021.

1. JudithT

JudithT · Member

I have been with over 12 since end of July and going worse. Out of the blue and the only thing that changed that day 29 of july, was that I had my first dose of Pfizer.

• Hug Hug x 1
  2. JudithT

JudithT · Member

I just did follow your advice. It never occurred to me to do that.
    Thank you. I now realize how important it is to report it as Drs. won't listen.

3. JudithT

JudithT · Member

Hi. Im in a similar situation since the first dose of Pfizer 4 months ago. I haven't had the second as I now I'm afraid of the out of control bs could be worse. I'm 59 and tonight, I've reported it to the MRHA.

4. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @JudithT , the thread you replied to is a rather old thread, and it's in the type 1 section of the forum.
    I think you'll get more replies if you start a thread of your own in one of the general or type 2 parts of the forum.

5. Oldvatr

Oldvatr Type 2 · Expert

I had noticed that most of the replies were from T1D, so you have explained that nicely for me.

I am T2D on orals, and I had 2 * Pfizer fizzers, and a Moderna chaser. Not had this problem. However, being diabetic does increase the risk of serious reaction to Covid (the real thing, not the imitation vaccine) and it is noted that the body goes into autoimmune meltdown some time after the Covid has run its course, and it is this reaction that proves fatal, not the covid itself. So yes, log these events with a yellow card as mentioned in the pamphlet they hand you at the clinic. If enough people report the same reaction then they will have to investigate it.

Putting my shoe on the other foot. Having the vaccine seems to stop the autoimmune reaction in most people, since the hospital and ITU admissions have dropped since we started the vaccinations. Not having the vaccinations seems to be a more risky business than treating higher than usual bgl levels,

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Caprock94

Caprock94 · Well-Known Member

Anyone experiencing higher blood sugar levels as a result of actual Covid? I am Type 2, no meds. Tested positive for Covid this morning. Symptoms are mild so far, and hoping they don't get any worse. I am vaccinated. However, my blood sugar levels seem to be running about 25% higher than normal.

• Hug Hug x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook