COVID vaccine and extremely high blood sugars

D

Deleted member 551829

Hi there, I had my first AstraZeneca jab on Saturday and found starting 12 hours after I had chills, sweats, nausea, headaches and high BS for about 24 hours. It felt exactly the same as when I had covid but only lasted a fraction of the time. All of the side affects have stopped now apart from the high BS. I’m normally a 5.5 over night but each night I’ve been waking to 11-12. how long has this lasted for people??
I have been with over 12 since end of July and going worse. Out of the blue and the only thing that changed that day 29 of july, was that I had my first dose of Pfizer.

D

Deleted member 551829

Hello, kind of similar story, how long did it take for the levels to return to normal?
I just did follow your advice. It never occurred to me to do that.
Thank you. I now realize how important it is to report it as Drs. won't listen.

D

Deleted member 551829

Hi. I have been diabetic for 40years. I had the COVID vaccine on Friday and my blood sugars since have been in the 20’s. I normally have really good control barely going above 11 but today I can not get them below 20. I feel awful. I’ve been sick too. I’ve tried changing my insulin cartridge to see if it was that but at the moment I’ve doubled my insulin and barely eaten. Anything I do eat seems to come back up. Has anyone else had this after the vaccine. The nurse told me it could be high for a couple of days after and not to worry unless it goes into the 30’s.

Hi. Im in a similar situation since the first dose of Pfizer 4 months ago. I haven't had the second as I now I'm afraid of the out of control bs could be worse. I'm 59 and tonight, I've reported it to the MRHA.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I have the same problem and I'm so glad to read I'm not alone on this as my drs keep rejecting the idea that my sudden out of the roof blood sugar might be related to the vaccine I have received back in July. Prior to the vaccine I have been keeping away from medication and sometimes I could even lower to 4.7 and 7.5. I've diabetes type 2 and diagnosed about 14/15 years ago.
Since the vaccine, there is no way my blood sugar will drop from 12. I'm now taking Metformin but, funnily enough, after eating almost to nothing, more sensibly, walking about 7 miles and having taken the Metformin, my blood sugar goes and rises! today, from 12.5 before eating breakfast and taking metformin to 14.4 after 3 hours and walking between 6 to 7 miles.
some days being without food for almost 16 hours, I had 20.8.
I am delaying the second dose until I have answers instead of my Drs saying its got nothing to do with the vaccine. I've lost all trust since they don't even know but insist it isn't related to vaccine.
Mine was Pfizer. I don't know what to do anymore.
Hi @JudithT , the thread you replied to is a rather old thread, and it's in the type 1 section of the forum.
I think you'll get more replies if you start a thread of your own in one of the general or type 2 parts of the forum.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @JudithT , the thread you replied to is a rather old thread, and it's in the type 1 section of the forum.
I think you'll get more replies if you start a thread of your own in one of the general or type 2 parts of the forum.
I had noticed that most of the replies were from T1D, so you have explained that nicely for me.

I am T2D on orals, and I had 2 * Pfizer fizzers, and a Moderna chaser. Not had this problem. However, being diabetic does increase the risk of serious reaction to Covid (the real thing, not the imitation vaccine) and it is noted that the body goes into autoimmune meltdown some time after the Covid has run its course, and it is this reaction that proves fatal, not the covid itself. So yes, log these events with a yellow card as mentioned in the pamphlet they hand you at the clinic. If enough people report the same reaction then they will have to investigate it.

Putting my shoe on the other foot. Having the vaccine seems to stop the autoimmune reaction in most people, since the hospital and ITU admissions have dropped since we started the vaccinations. Not having the vaccinations seems to be a more risky business than treating higher than usual bgl levels,

Caprock94

Anyone experiencing higher blood sugar levels as a result of actual Covid? I am Type 2, no meds. Tested positive for Covid this morning. Symptoms are mild so far, and hoping they don't get any worse. I am vaccinated. However, my blood sugar levels seem to be running about 25% higher than normal.