1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

COVID vaccine and extremely high blood sugars

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Violingirl, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Peter03

Peter03 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Still okay I am staying optimistic

2. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Fairygodmother

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Fairygodmother

@ glitter queen I’ve also found the one that was referred to in the brief webmd report; it goes into more detail and looks at what might be causing blood sugar rises. I think one of the things that may have come out of these early studies is that we need to keep our blood sugars well controlled if we hope to escape covid’s scythe. As an oldie I’m also reluctant to change my lockdown, mask, distance etc behaviour even when I’ve had the second jab of the AZ.
    Since having the first I’ve needed to increase basal by a unit for daytime and a unit for nighttime.

5. StewM

StewM Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It does certainly read like the Vaccine essentially gives you a 'mild' version of the Covid effect on Blood Sugar readings. Also from reading through the forum posts on this topic, it seems like Veteran Diabetics are getting hit harder than Newbies (regardless of actual age). So, based on that, if you're having a bad reaction to the Vaccine you probably want to everything you can to avoid any further risk.

Obviously, all speculation on my part.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. FracturedPixel

FracturedPixel · Newbie

Jumping in to add, I received my 2nd dose of AZ on the 14th April 2021 and have been having stubborn episodes of high blood glucose levels, which require way more insulin than normal to bring down. usually can't get them down for a few hours. Still experiencing these episodes 4-5 days later.

• Hug Hug x 2
  7. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi,

I wouldn't disagree regarding the "hands, face, space" protocol.
    I have a second AZ lined up in mid May. Haven't heard anything else from my surgury like I did with the first.
    I just registered my NHS number on the gov.uk site & got a slot at a center set up on a race course near my home city.

My personal view is it won't make me immune, or a non asymtomatic. But the vaccine should soften the blow if it should decide to show..?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. Peter03

I hope this does not last too long its been six weeks now for me, yes it better than having covid but it cannot be good to keep having high bg,s, I am at least now how to control my bg,s with increased Basel and bolus but those that don't control their bg,s all the time could be suffering without knowing

• Hug Hug x 2
  9. smcc

smcc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I had my first AZ dode on Feb 6 and had no upset at all. The second dose was 2 days ago, April 18. Since yesterday morning, 18 hours after the second dose, My BG levels have been high despite increased doses of Tresiba and Humalog insulin and I have added a few extra doses of Humalog to keep things on an even keel. I feel perfectly well and I can only hope that this situation will not last too long.

• Hug Hug x 3
  10. Allen50yearsT1

Allen50yearsT1 Type 1 · Member

My BS is a bit more stable now, thankfully. I've increased my Basal by 25%, to 40u injection per day. I do this in the mornings for obvious reasons. I split the injection into 4, so 10u each one, 1 to left arm, 1 to right arm, 1 to left thigh and 1 to right thigh. I do the same for any Bolus more than 10u. My 2nd Pfizer is this Friday, so expecting another spike as my antibodies will be increased I suspect.

• Hug Hug x 3
  11. Peter03

At last my bg,s are starting to return to normal, so anyone worrying about taking the second jab don't it seems to be not affecting my blood suger reading as much as the first

• Like Like x 4
  12. smcc

smcc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My BGs were back to normal over the past 2 days and I have been able to reduce my insulin to pre-vaccine levels.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Fairygodmother

I had the second dose yesterday and my blood sugars are raised today but that may also be because I’ve got the lightheaded reaction, again, and am mostly staying still. It doesn’t help that it’s a lovely day and I’d really like to be out and about. Tomorrow WILL be better.

• Hug Hug x 3
  14. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Due my second AZ at 5pm. Fingers crossed I am not as poorly as last time. Have paracetamol ready. Plus a newly primed pen of Fiasp just in case.

• Hug Hug x 2
  15. Fairygodmother

Hope you don’t get a nasty reaction tomorrow!!!
    I’m feeling much better now, it hasn’t lasted as long as after the first dose but will wait to see when blood sugars settle down.

16. Fairygodmother

Blood sugars are still swooping high two days after the second jab of the AZ, it’s really annoying as they’d just begun to settle well again although on higher doses of insulin than before the vaccine. It’ll be interesting to see if the increased insulin need is permanent though I’m optimistic that the current rollercoasting seesaw will eventually settle.

17. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

@Fairygodmother Hurrah! Wouldn’t know I’ve had the second. Blood sugars behaving too. Hope yours settle down too.

• Winner Winner x 2
  18. Peter03

I will say no they will not remain high, although I know it feels like it's lasting forever, mine are at last returning to something like normal but I'm not there yet, so I hope your bg,s get back to normal soon

• Like Like x 1
  19. Hopeful34

Hopeful34 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

That's great @becca59. Glad you didn't have a bad reaction this time round. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Hopeful34

Hopeful34 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hope they soon settle @Fairygodmother. Take care, it can make you feel really off it when your blood sugars are running high.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook