COVID vaccine

jonnyboy12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone first time on here,52yr old male I was diagnosed with type 1 April 2022, I have had three COVID vaccines,first two were astra zenica and final one was given on 28/12/21(Pfizer) with in two weeks I had diarrhea for 8weeks approx,had a telephone appointment with local Dr seemed to think it was gastroenteritis,(stool sample) came back all clear, shortly after I contracted the classic symptoms, finally went to docs tested my bloods which were 141mmol/mol also ketones 4.4 rushed into a+e first insulin shot managed to get home 5hrs later,I now take novarapid&lantus and the libre2 sensor which I find a godsend,down to 42mmol/mol now,I just wondered if anyone had a similar story to me after the vaccines or is it just a coincidence p.s nobody in my family has diabetes,sorry it's a bit long winded,thanks guys

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I think it’s going to be impossible in any individual cases to know why it happened. You’ll never know if it would still have happened without the jab, in all likelihood yes. Covid itself is causing a lot of type 1 and type 2 cases. Is the vaccine? Not officially or provably - so far. Many type 1 have no relatives with it. Theres always a first in each family.

jonnyboy12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally I think it’s going to be impossible in any individual cases to know why it happened. You’ll never know if it would still have happened without the jab, in all likelihood yes. Covid itself is causing a lot of type 1 and type 2 cases. Is the vaccine? Not officially or provably - so far. Many type 1 have no relatives with it. Theres always a first in each family.
Thanx for the feed back,my thoughts entirely,just wondered if anyone had a similar experience to mine,I suppose time might tell anyway onwards and upwards

SugarBuzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
**** doctors. Airport travel.
Hi everyone first time on here,52yr old male I was diagnosed with type 1 April 2022, I have had three COVID vaccines,first two were astra zenica and final one was given on 28/12/21(Pfizer) with in two weeks I had diarrhea for 8weeks approx,had a telephone appointment with local Dr seemed to think it was gastroenteritis,(stool sample) came back all clear, shortly after I contracted the classic symptoms, finally went to docs tested my bloods which were 141mmol/mol also ketones 4.4 rushed into a+e first insulin shot managed to get home 5hrs later,I now take novarapid&lantus and the libre2 sensor which I find a godsend,down to 42mmol/mol now,I just wondered if anyone had a similar story to me after the vaccines or is it just a coincidence p.s nobody in my family has diabetes,sorry it's a bit long winded,thanks guys

Wow. There is not any way of knowing 100% what caused your type 1 diabetes - but there never is. That is where the usual "gaslighting" refrain comes in. For example "I had X amount of covid injections, but got covid X amount of times" - "yeah but it would have been so much worse had you not been vaccinated" and there is not really anything you can say to that other than roll the eyes. How many times did you contract covid btw?

If I were you I would be more than suspicious about this "Coincidence" and would contact someone that deals with possible vaccine injury claims - the worst that can happen is they could tell you that you possibly do not have a case.
A type 1 diabetes autoimmune reaction induced by the vaccine? It is more than plausible.
However rare any vaccine side effects might be they are obviously not rare for those that have been affected (especially those that have even died)

What is indisputable is that to be diagnosed with type 1 insulin dependent diabetes over the age of 50 is quite rare (especially assuming no previous pre diabetes or type 2 problems) so something strange has obviously happened. Most people are diagnosed before adulthood (age 21) and that tapers off sharply heading towards age 40. I am sure if we were to poll at what age type 1 diabetics were diagnosed here we would see a pattern that follows that.

As a side note. What happened to the Astrazeneca injection? At the time it was used as a political football by the government - touted as a great post-Brexit "British" success and then it seemed to get quietly phased out. Very strange.

Last edited:

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What is indisputable is that to be diagnosed with type 1 insulin dependent diabetes over the age of 50 is quite rare
It is rarer than type 2 but, as 30% of people diagnosed with type 2 are later realised to actually have Type 1, it is not as rare as you think.
In the UK we have had a prime minster and speaker of the House of Commons diagnosed with Type 1 in their 50s.

There is a myth that most people with Type 1 are diagnosed in childhood. This is NOT true. More than half of the people with diagnosed Type 1 (as opposed to those who were incorrectly diagnosed with type 2 and has not been corrected) are diagnosed over the age of 20.
Sadly, doctors are only starting to learn this. Hence the common misdiagnosis of type 2.

Last edited:

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What is indisputable is that to be diagnosed with type 1 insulin dependent diabetes over the age of 50 is quite rare (especially assuming no previous pre diabetes or type 2 problems) so something strange has obviously happened. Most people are diagnosed before adulthood (age 21) and that tapers off sharply heading towards age 40.
to add to @In Response’s comments, having previously had pre diabetes or type 2 is entirely unrelated to developing type 1. Type 2 (of which prediabetes is a precursor) does not “turn into“ type 1. It’s a myth that it does if you end up on insulin. It’s still type 2 (unless misdiagnosed). They are two distinct conditions that have high blood glucose in common. The causes are quite different and management is (or should be) different too. For starters lack of insulin production is quite different to the insulin resistance inherent in type 2 in approaches to diet. I‘m not sure where you seek your medical information and understanding but the sources seem dubious.

SugarBuzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
It is rarer than type 2 but, as 30% of people diagnosed with type 2 are later realised to actually have Type 1, it is not as rare as you think.
In the UK we have had a prime minster and speaker of the House of Commons diagnosed with Type 1 in their 50s.

There is a myth that most people with Type 1 are diagnosed in childhood. This is NOT true. More than half of the people with diagnosed Type 1 (as opposed to those who were incorrectly diagnosed with type and has not been corrected) are diagnosed over the age of 20.
Sadly, doctors are only starting to learn this. Hence the common misdiagnosis of type 2.
It's not a really a myth. Stats back it up.

But I will await your proof that the majority of people with type 1 diabetes are not diagnosed way before aged 50 and this tails off towards the age of 40 (as in a downward curve).

Last edited:

SugarBuzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Obviously "There are no problems with the vaccines" . But it's strange that the vaccine compensation scheme have increased there staff dealing with applications from 4 to 80.

Exactly. LOL.

"The vaccines are so safe and effective we have had to increase our staff dealing with vaccine compensation claims".

More cognitive dissonance for the brainwashed to lap up I guess.

mariavontrapp

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
After the third booster (Moderna) I had a very extreme immune response. At first I only noticed the damage to my ears - sudden hearing loss in one ear, gradually came back but tinnitus remains. However, I had my HbA1c three weeks after the booster and it had shot up to 107mmol! (normally 40s and 50s, diet controlled). I was hoping it would settle down, but sadly my diabetes has taken a complete down turn and we are gradually adding more drugs. Do I think it was the vaccine? Definitely. (I am not an anti-vaxer)

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
After the third booster (Moderna) I had a very extreme immune response. At first I only noticed the damage to my ears - sudden hearing loss in one ear, gradually came back but tinnitus remains. However, I had my HbA1c three weeks after the booster and it had shot up to 107mmol! (normally 40s and 50s, diet controlled). I was hoping it would settle down, but sadly my diabetes has taken a complete down turn and we are gradually adding more drugs. Do I think it was the vaccine? Definitely. (I am not an anti-vaxer)
I hope that your levels settle back down soon and that your tinnitus subsides.

In the news recently it has been reported that 1000s say they have developed tinnitus after covid jabs. Scientists are currently investigating. I'm not sure I'm allowed to post links here but there is more info out there which a quick Internet search will take you to.

jenny.p

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello!
I had a very similar experience to yours. I had AstraZeneca vaccine x2 in May 2021 and then July 2021. Pfizer was my booster in December 2021 and then diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes on March 20th 2022. I have wondered whether the vaccine triggered some immune response. Maybe I was susceptible to T1 anyway and this tipped it over the edge. I’m not sure, but wanted to share as it is a very similar story to your own. Just to add I’m a 34 year old female with no family history of diabetes.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
What is indisputable is that to be diagnosed with type 1 insulin dependent diabetes over the age of 50 is quite rare (especially assuming no previous pre diabetes or type 2 problems) so something strange has obviously happened. Most people are diagnosed before adulthood (age 21) and that tapers off sharply heading towards age 40. I am sure if we were to poll at what age type 1 diabetics were diagnosed here we would see a pattern that follows that.
Diagnosed cases of LADA (sometimes confused with T2, or called 1.5) are rising as more doctors realise they need to test for it.
So not so unusual to be diagnosed later in life.

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM and Antje77

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I hope that your levels settle back down soon and that your tinnitus subsides.

In the news recently it has been reported that 1000s say they have developed tinnitus after covid jabs. Scientists are currently investigating. I'm not sure I'm allowed to post links here but there is more info out there which a quick Internet search will take you to.
However, covid itself causes tinnitus.

nel c

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
to add to @In Response’s comments, having previously had pre diabetes or type 2 is entirely unrelated to developing type 1. Type 2 (of which prediabetes is a precursor) does not “turn into“ type 1. It’s a myth that it does if you end up on insulin. It’s still type 2 (unless misdiagnosed). They are two distinct conditions that have high blood glucose in common. The causes are quite different and management is (or should be) different too. For starters lack of insulin production is quite different to the insulin resistance inherent in type 2 in approaches to diet. I‘m not sure where you seek your medical information and understanding but the sources seem dubious.
I was diagnosed with type 1 in February this year aged 42. The diabetic consultant said it was rare and if I'd have been 60 or older it would have been type 2. I know type 2 is more common, but type 1s have markers in their blood that type 2s don't have. I find it scary that a diabetic consultant would say that.

nel c

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I've had a very similar experience to you. I was diagnosed in February at age 42. I had previously had 3 COVID vaccines, (2 astra zenica and 1 pfizer) I also contracted COVID after the first 2 vaccines. Nobody in my family that I know of has diabetes, and I can go back quite far. It could just be coincidence but lots of people have suffered complications because of either COVID or the vaccines.

Reactions: Debandez and Mo R

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed with type 1 in February this year aged 42. The diabetic consultant said it was rare and if I'd have been 60 or older it would have been type 2. I know type 2 is more common, but type 1s have markers in their blood that type 2s don't have. I find it scary that a diabetic consultant would say that.
Sorry but that’s rubbish. I find it scary too that a so called expert can get it so wrong (or being generous choose such misleading wording that it totally changes the facts). It’s an old fashioned and inaccurate myth that only children get diagnosed as type 1. Plenty of type 1 in here were diagnosed as adults. There is nothing that says over 60’s must be type 2 either. Don’t know that I’d trust that consultant with my care if they’d said such baloney to me - I’d never trust them.

Reactions: nel c

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It is not rare these days for over 50s to be diagnosed type 1. The problem is with blanket assumptions by medical professionals, usually GPs, that diagnose type 2 when the patient never was in the first place. Been there and got that T shirt at the age of 54. Some years ago I attended a day conference In Leeds. The room was full of people diagnosed over 50 and all complaining about their Gp assuming they were type 2. Many, myself included, ended up in hospital very Ill.

Reactions: TriciaWs and nel c