Type 1 Covid

Jonboy73

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey guys, what are people’s thoughts on tonight’s ruling? Does that include us as the high risk society?

Reactions: jjraak

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys, what are people’s thoughts on tonight’s ruling? Does that include us as the high risk society?

Well, they spend the rest of the year telling us we are all doomed, our feet will fall off, our eyesight will deteriorate, our hearts will give out, our diabetes will get progressively worse, it's inevitable, we are ill, we are weak...well you get my drift! The answer will be yes. x

Reactions: jjraak and Jonboy73

Em16

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, DN said today that if blood sugar well controlled then effectively its the same risk as a non diabetic....however, I know I have read that diabetics are more prone to/struggle with any infection/illness more because their immune system responds differently - I understood this to mean irrespective of whether sugars controlled or not (although of course good control must be a positive thing). Having said that I'm new to all this, and I've been googling all over the place.....so my info might be wrong (!) Would be really good to hear from some people here who have lots of info re this.

Reactions: jjraak

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, DN said today that if blood sugar well controlled then effectively its the same risk as a non diabetic....however, I know I have read that diabetics are more prone to/struggle with any infection/illness more because their immune system responds differently - I understood this to mean irrespective of whether sugars controlled or not (although of course good control must be a positive thing). Having said that I'm new to all this, and I've been googling all over the place.....so my info might be wrong (!) Would be really good to hear from some people here who have lots of info re this.

That's easy for her to say. I agree that the better controlled you are the stronger you will be to fight off a virus but how on earth does she know how having diabetes will exacerbate Covid 19? You are right about the immune system, ours are compromised no matter how fit everything else may be, so that may make it harder to fight off the virus if we do catch it. I wonder whether she meant we are as likely to catch it in the first place as a non diabetic, if we are well controlled?

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Uncontrolled diabetes amplifies risks for all sorts of nasties, so be a safe as possible.

Problem is there are many who do not know they have an underlying condition like the poor 23 year old with undiagnosed Leukaemia.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
This is a great question. Some of us with good to great to in remission control are effectively a large observational study - I hope someone accounts for us like Type 1 Grit.

I know I have only had 1 cold in 5 years since managing my condition; it took a flight back form Spain with people literally coughing in the seat next to me and behind for me to get that mildly for a couple of days.

I have thrown my hat into maintaining remission with a mostly animal based diet, and heavy by average standards weight training. Others who do less exercise have a few points lower HbA1c's which is their protocol. Time will tell, but I think if you don't have the bio markers of diabetes and you feel great and don't get sick, it's got to increase your chances.

4mum_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Obviously I'm T1 and also have Sarcoidosis. I work in a secondary school so in contact with a lot of students and staff all day. Just heard a 5 month pregnant woman has been told to stay at home for the foreseeable future. My family are concerned for me and think I come under the vulnerable category. Any thought where I could go with this and how to approach my employer. I work 3 days a.week.