CPEP Test

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't love a box, I just love a proper diagnosis so I know what I am dealing with. That's what makes me feel better. Imagine being in the type 2 'box' when you are actually a type 1, as many people have been and dangerously so, or in a type 1 box on insulin when in actual fact you were a type 2 and could have done it on diet alone maybe or a type 3c and boxed up as a type 2, the diagnosis matters as does the different treatments. You are right in that we are all individuals with varying physiology and thresholds etc, but type 1s are 'all the same' in terms of their diagnosis and eventual insulin requirements but that's not to say their numbers in relation to glucose levels or blood tests or C Peptide levels or reactions to food or amounts of insulin are all the same (same for type 2). I'll be honest, I find your post a little flippant considering it is a serious disease we are all coping with. Besides which you are wrong and your post may confuse people.
I’m wrong? Wouldn’t that be an opinion? I was being lighthearted yes, flippant? If you so. I’m not sure what that means, is that when you don’t care what someone who assumes they are correct, replies to your post on the internet says? You could be correct (again) please forgive me, I’ll toddle off to my sad and serious box, seems a bit full but I’ll try to squeeze in.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning lovely people.

Can we please keep the topic in line with Duncan's query & not tune it in to "bicker's world."

Many thanks in advance.. :)

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Low C-peptide (below the normal range) will result in a rapid deterioration onto insulin, which supports type 1. Sometimes beta cells are killed by a virus.

My understanding is that a virus does not equate to an autoimmune disease.
You appear to be saying that T1 can have multiple causes.
However further down you yet again define T1 as an autoimmune disease.

To my mind this suggests that there still isn't a clear definition.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low CPEP and no antibodies on diagnosis.
Generally diagnosed as T1 but lacking any evidence of autoimmune disease.
Where does that fit into the great scheme of things?

just my opinion here.
Repeated cpeptide should be done over time if the initial diagnosis is unclear. A LADA/type1 would get progressively results over time. If you’ve quickly ended up on insulin and low carb didn’t work I’d say that too adds weight to the type 1 position and vice versa. Sadly not every case is clearcut in the early years and if you wait too long (10yrs plus of uncontrollable type 2) then it may never be clear why a pancreas has stopped producing insulin. This is why any unclear case should have c peptides, and more than one if necessary.

Antibodies don’t always show up in all type 1 diagnosis and can fade over time once they’ve “destroyed” the relevant cells and finished their job.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Wouldn’t a virus fall into type 3? Same as injury, disease and surgery? Ie lack of insulin but not autoimmune.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting

T1 is an autoimmune disease. Sometimes the immune system is triggered by a virus. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4539350/

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Hi, can a type 2 also be (become) type 1 and visa versa? Sure why not, Are all type 1’s the same? 2’s? 3’s? 1.5’s? But we do love a box, it makes us feel better. I think you could be an unusual type, maybe type 47? :) I hope you find some answers.

Technically a t2 can become T2 as well but they just get call t1 with insulin resistance

Although rare I’m sure a t2 could get an autoimmune issue that can cause t1 as well