Cramp? and VLC

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm 5 weeks into very low carbing (apart from two slip-ups last weekend at a rock festival) and the weight is finally shifting downwards. Morning fasting levels always in the 4's.

Now I love a good stretch when I wake up, but unless I'm very careful, it results in cramp like muscle spasms in my legs that can go on for a good 40-50 seconds and can be quite painful. While the spasm goes on, my feet can be stuck in a funny angle too! It's actually quite interesting.

Anyone else?

wiflib

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Very occasionally I will get the sort of cramp that twists the ends of my feet and toes - as you say, to a funny angle :shock: . But I don't get any sort of cramp very often, and certainly no more frequently when I'm low carbing.

How's your salt intake in the hot and humid weather we've been having? My rule of thumb is, if the sweat on my upper lip doesn't taste salty, I need a little salt. For me that's just adding a little bit to my food, which otherwise is completely free of added salt, even in cooking.

Hope that helps

Viv 8)

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm one of those people who refuses to believe that salt is harmful. I don't go out of my way to avoid it and I enjoy a good sprinkle on my beef. Green beans are just not right without salt too.

I know about the magnesium, calcium and potassiam thing too but I bet my GP will be horrified if I ask for the tests and I don't want to suppliment without them. As long as the spasms are simply that and not an indication that something else could be wrong then I shall put up with them. It's become a bit of a party trick!

wiflib

josie38

Hi,

You could try drinking low-cal tonic water. The quinine in it helps with cramps or try eating a banana for the potassium.

You have a very interesting party trick - hope you dont stick like it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Josie

clearviews

Dislikes
Arrogance, sarcasm and liars
I guess if you are very low carbing then bananas are just not in there. Haven't had one for at least three years.

I have not had the cramp thing for sometime but have had occasional bouts recently while doing an 11 day Optifast experiment, lost three kilos and maintained that. I do supplement with magnesium but think I could now confidently go veggies alone to ensure my levels are in the right range. I have always had good potassium results so no concern there, despite the lack of bananas in my diet.
I did start to take 1/8 tsp of sea salt with each gass of water I was drinking recently. Not sure why they have gone away but the cramps are very painful when they do happen.

wiflib

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks guys.
You are right CV. I don't eat bananas even if I could. Horrid, slimy things. I used to wait until they had gone really soft and make banana cake. I'm not eating fruit at all at the moment, but a nightly G&T is on the books.
I'll let you know if it works :wink:

wiflib