Cramps

cyeoumans

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am on metformin plus a statin and I am getting cramps in my legs and toes at night and during the day. I called my doctor (go) he has told me it's the metformin ? I have read online it's the statin does anyone have any advice.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had cramps when I was on Simvastatin which cleared up when I stopped taking them. I have taken 3 different statins but not had cramps with those. It might be worth switching to a different statin to see if the cramps go away.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't recall anyone complaining of cramps due to metformin - lavatorial problems, yes, leg cramps, no. However, reports of muscle problems when on statins are extremely common. My money would be on the statin, although your cramps could be for a totally unrelated reason. Advice? If it were me, I would drop the statins and see what happened.
Sally

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello. I had cramps and really severe muscle ain in legs when taking one kind of statin but since it has been changed Ive been fine. :)

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hello. I had cramps and really severe muscle ain in legs when taking one kind of statin but since it has been changed Ive been fine. :)

I was with pains in legs n muscles with simvastatin since changed to amlodipine I have been fine .
Just a little cankles swelling initally then all has been fine since . :)

Best to revist your GP - explain all pain and cramps etc
Ask about the statin possibly too - there are other options that may be more suited ?
Only your GP can advise and prescribe with your meds .

bob chennells

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I stopped taking stations. Had night cramps muscle probs during the day. I now feel 10years younger no cramps or muscle probs.78yrs. Male

Reactions: 2 people

Tigerkitty1950

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I stopped statins was suffering muscle fatigue, I get some cramps now and then just drink Tonic water, it has quinine in it,
cramps usually mean low potassium, look it up for potassium rich foods

Reactions: 4 people

Aldebaran

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I didn't have cramps on Metformin but I don't take a statin. Hope you get it sorted. Cramps are horrible.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've always been prone to cramp in my feet and in recent years, in my hands and hips if I moved in a certain way. Since diagnosis (and so taking metformin) cramp instances have increased and also I get it around ankles and up lower leg. Interestingly I no longer get it in my hands or hips. I've been off medication for two months and still get cramp. I've never been on statins.

I love bananas but never eat them now. I'll have to investigate other oats soy sources.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
when i started LC, statins and metformin, I drank more water and took some extra salt for the leg cramps
I also got back pain around the flanks for a week

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't recall anyone complaining of cramps due to metformin - lavatorial problems, yes, leg cramps, no. However, reports of muscle problems when on statins are extremely common. My money would be on the statin, although your cramps could be for a totally unrelated reason. Advice? If it were me, I would drop the statins and see what happened.
Sally

Not knowing what the OP has been given statins for its a bit dangerous telling him to stop taking them, his best way forward is to speak with his GP and get them changed

sjhume

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I was with pains in legs n muscles with simvastatin since changed to amlodipine I have been fine .
Just a little cankles swelling initally then all has been fine since . :)

Best to revist your GP - explain all pain and cramps etc
Ask about the statin possibly too - there are other options that may be more suited ?
Only your GP can advise and prescribe with your meds .
i've been getting bad cramps (mostly at night) for the last few years.Sometimes i get up to 4 attacks a night. I'm on statins and Amlodopine plus Alopurinol and Renvella for my kidney problems. I wonder why my doctor has put me on both and if its them causing cramps

Shazza74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Wet weather
I've suffered severe leg and feet cramps since I was a teenager with no explanation of why. I'm now 40 and only diagnosed May this year as type 1 after being rushed into hospital with DKA and BS of +30. I've not been on any other meds. I believe I've been suffering the cramps from high BS levels and no diagnosis. I believe this due to other symptoms for years such severe thirst, thrush and fatigue but doctors look at me blankly when I mention this.

Funny thing is the cramps have now gone!

sjhume

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've suffered severe leg and feet cramps since I was a teenager with no explanation of why. I'm now 40 and only diagnosed May this year as type 1 after being rushed into hospital with DKA and BS of +30. I've not been on any other meds. I believe I've been suffering the cramps from high BS levels and no diagnosis. I believe this due to other symptoms for years such severe thirst, thrush and fatigue but doctors look at me blankly when I mention this.

Funny thing is the cramps have now gone!
I too suffered severe thirst but so do many diabetics especially when not diagnosed. Had 4 cramps in my left calf again last night. Wish mine would just go!

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
i've been getting bad cramps (mostly at night) for the last few years.Sometimes i get up to 4 attacks a night. I'm on statins and Amlodopine plus Alopurinol and Renvella for my kidney problems. I wonder why my doctor has put me on both and if its them causing cramps
Quinine is helpful to prevent cramp
I sip it tonic water with slices of lemon in .
Love the sharpness of the taste .

Totally understand your point with the Amlodopine
possibly cause of cramps ?
I asked my GP same thing .
He told me it wasn't related .
Hence he put me on quinine meds .
Prevents the painful cramp at night .

Last edited by a moderator: