craveing sugary junk food

linkinparkfan

Dislikes
I still eat like am not a diabetic LOL
i keep craveing food like cake and high sugery foods? like i had some honey today and it tasted soo good i dont know what to do

louiseb

have you tryed eating low carb alternatives that will satisfy your sugar craving but not have as much as an impact on your bg.
try a few pieces of very dark choclate like at least 75% cocoa.
also have you looked at the low carb receipe section you make your own cake and adapt the receipe to make it alot lower carb.
ill go find you a receipe I use for choclate cake

the_anticarb

Dislikes
Spiders, winter, bills, ignorance, prejudice
A good substitute for hot chocolate - practically carb free:

Light soya milk (0.5 g carbs/100ml)
teaspoon of green and blacks cocoa (barely any carbs in such a small quantity)
canderel to taste.

Warm up milk, make a paste with the cocoa and some cold milk and the canderel, add in, stir enjoy.
You could even add some squirty cream if you felt like really treating yourself.
Just make sure you get the light soya milk not the kind which is sweetened with apple juice

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Hang on in there, Linkin. It's a phase - if you can resist you'll get through it and you'll stop having the cravings. You've been addicted to sugar, just like an addiction to alcohol or tobacco, but the withdrawal isn't as bad and doesn't take as long. We've all been through it - you will come out the other side. Try not to give in to it at the moment - once you've got it under control this first time, you can give yourself very occasional little treats - counting the carbs for your insulin! - in the future!

You are in charge, remember. Not your body.

Lol

Viv

linkinparkfan

Dislikes
Like tonigh i had 2 pancakes with honey on and some choclate and banna milkshake i went up to 18.7 or something but it went back down? so it cant be that bad if am eating sugary foods i know i have to go hospital if i reach 20.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've still got the mind of a teenager - does that count? :wink:

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
Oh, Linkin! You were only 1.3 away from going to hospital! I'm glad it went down again, but it really doesn't do your body any good. It can't be easy for you, but do try not to give in so spectacularly. Well done for testing afterwards, though - now you know that it nearly put you into hospital, it might help you not to do it again.

Have you asked at your doctor if there's a local diabetic support group in your area? That might help you get in touch with people your own age so you can learn how others cope. They're out there - they're on here, too. Read around a bit more.

Viv :)

louiseb

viviennem said:
Oh, Linkin! You were only 1.3 away from going to hospital! I'm glad it went down again, but it really doesn't do your body any good. It can't be easy for you, but do try not to give in so spectacularly. Well done for testing afterwards, though - now you know that it nearly put you into hospital, it might help you not to do it again.

Have you asked at your doctor if there's a local diabetic support group in your area? That might help you get in touch with people your own age so you can learn how others cope. They're out there - they're on here, too. Read around a bit more.

couldnt agree more excellent advice viv

mrburden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I became diabetic at age 11. When I was told that so many things I loved would be off my diet I instantly craved every one of them. I remember buying packets of custard cream biscuits and sweets, eating them all one after the other and then, feeling so guilty (and scared) about it, spending most of an afternoon running up and down stairs to lower my blood sugar! None of my friends ever bought such large amounts of sweets so I think it's like most things - if you were allowed them you wouldn't want them but being told not to makes you want it more.
When I worked in a bakery I was allowed to take any of the products that I wanted, but the last thing I wanted was a cake!

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Is this 20 goto hospital thing person specific?? when i look in my meter in the last few months i have several reading reaching nearly 25, and when that high i have washed hands and tested again to be sure the reading is correct.. ive always just thought, 'oh thats not good'

louiseb said:
viviennem said:

couldnt agree more excellent advice viv

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I was replying to what Linkinparkfan posted about what he'd been personally told to do. In your place I would discuss those readings with your doctor or another HCP. It is, as you say, 'not good'.

Do you know what you'd eaten to cause it to go so high? I note you're on insulin, which I know nothing about, but maybe someone else can help.

Viv

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
ah, ok so just a personal thing between Linkinparkfan and his HCP i just wondered as i had seen other people mention similar things in other places

in mycase yes i know what sent me high it was home made veg curry soup, and while there was nothing in it that should have caused such a spike, speculation is that as some of the contents were pureed they had a much faster affect rather than a gradual rise

viviennem said:
I was replying to what Linkinparkfan posted about what he'd been personally told to do. In your place I would discuss those readings with your doctor or another HCP. It is, as you say, 'not good'.

Do you know what you'd eaten to cause it to go so high? I note you're on insulin, which I know nothing about, but maybe someone else can help.

Viv

linkinparkfan

Dislikes
louiseb said:
have you tryed eating low carb alternatives that will satisfy your sugar craving but not have as much as an impact on your bg.
try a few pieces of very dark choclate like at least 75% cocoa.
also have you looked at the low carb receipe section you make your own cake and adapt the receipe to make it alot lower carb.
ill go find you a receipe I use for choclate cake

thanks the drink really helps instead of the real thing

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you like cheese? Sometimes when I want a snack, I eat some really strong cheddar, I love it but it's so strong you can only eat a tiny bit.

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had some that was strength 7 from Waitrose the other day, heaven! It smelt wonderful.
Cathedral City Vintage is a nice one that isn't supermarket own brand, so you should find it many places.
I want some cheese now, but have none here :cry: