Crazy reading post evening meals

RichCrock

Does anyone ever have ridiculous high readings two hours after eating and testing when eating a coconut based curry and rice. I calculated approx 90gs carbs (15g to 1 unit) so gave myself 7 units to cover. Reading was 6.1 before two hours later 12.8! Any suggestions is Thai or basmati rice very very slow releasing and coconut milk?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

RichCrock

Re: Crazy reading post evening meals

@Nomistheman thanks for the suggestion I haven't done the course yet only 5 months diagnosed. Thinking I should have taken insulin after eating not before and tested a little later maybe 3 hours due to the nature of the carbs.

blink

as far as i am aware if you test 2 hours after eating you will get a false reading as you insulin is still working and your carbs from your meal will be taken affect. try checkin around 4 hours after you have eaten/taken your insulin as this will give you more of a try reading.

let us know how you get on.

benjygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
disrespectful people

I always check 3/4 hours after eating. I'm always on the high side after 2 hrs. Rice makes my BG absolutely soar so I don't eat it very often, if I do I only have a tablespoonful.

benjygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
disrespectful people

I always check 3/4 hours after eating. I'm always on the high side after 2 hrs. Rice makes my BG absolutely soar so I don't eat it very often, if I do I only have a tablespoonful.

LemonTree

Dislikes
High sugar levels :(

Rice does weird things to my sugar level so I guess it's VERY slow release. I can test 1- or 2 hours after eating rice at dinner time and I'll be in normal range, at bedtime it will be over 10 then by morning it's back to normal with no correction doses! I'd suggest just having a small amount like Benjygirl suggested.

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Rice seems to screw me up as well.

I've been having some very off readings lately, sent some numbers to my DSN today to look at and shr reckons it looks like the honeymoon is ending.

Direct quote from her
"All the evidence and research suggests that it is you fasting pre meal blood glucose values that influence your longer term control and overall HbA1c value. In practice, after a carbohydrate meal of reasonable quantity, I would expect to see a BG value of anything from a subtle change up to a BG value of +5-10mmols (even higher) above what their pre meal value was (depending on the person, sensitivity to carbs, time of the day and also the nature of the carbs eaten). Once the Novorapid finishes working (between 3-5 hours typically) then the BG comes back into range (if the dose was correct).

My advice at this stage is to try and not worry about those +2hour readings. Do discuss them with the doctor when you see them ….do use your ½ unit pen in the meantime to control things if you are not happy or feeling unwell in the 8-9’s…"

I've got my three month appointment on the 23rd, will talk to the quack then, see what he says.

Hiya

I usually find that after eating a curry it takes a while for my sugars to go back to normal. I'm on 10g of carbs to 1 unit, but even when I calculate it accurately it still takes a while for my BG to stabilise. My DAFNE diabetic nurse has said that if you eat something fatty it can take longer for the insulin to work. I personally wouldn't worry about testing exactly 2 hours after a meal as my novorapid can take between 2-5 hours to bring my levels down!!

Best of luck!

Luckystar96

I wouldn't call a reading of 12 ridiculously high. It is very difficult to keep sugars tight all the time. What levels does it come down to before the next meal when you've eaten the curry?
I do know that coconut milk is extremely high in fat (even the low fat one) and that will slow down the release of glucose from the meal. I'm on a pump and its recommended when eating a meal high in fat to extend my bolus for a few hours afterwards.

RichCrock

Thank you for all the very helpful replies I am sure I am fretting over nothing and it would seem for this type of meal I am testing to early. Interesting though as not read this kind of stuff anywhere yet. Will definitely start easing off rice. Still getting use to all this. It can really suck. Poor us lot ey....

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I don't mind in this case, I don't like rice anyway. :D

ono

Hi Rich, apart from splitting the dose (say 70%ish before eating, and 30% after an hour) which could work for the rice in general, the fat in coconut milk also delays the absorption of the carbs in rice.
I think the best thing to do is to test a lot until you get the hang of exactly how you absorb cars after a curry, keeping in mind that it might be in two "waves", it is for me at least.

Concorde

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Basmati rice sends my bg levels sky high too. I only eat it if I am going to exercise soon afterwards.

derekemery

You can use the internet to find the Glycaemic Index (GI) for various foods. There are loads of links.The higher the GI the higher it will raise your blood sugar. Diabetics do better if they avoid high GI foods. The form matters as mashed potato is much worse than new potato as the mashing makes the food more quickly digestible. Steamed white rice has one of the highest GIs see http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/di ... tables.htm

derekemery

some foods have a high Glycaemic Index (GI) and should be avoided. Steamed white rice has one of the highest so will raise you blood sugar much more than some other foods. Check for the GI of foods on the web and choose low GI foods

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

You were high 2 hours after eating. This indicates quick release of carbs as if it was slow you would of been alot lower at 2 hours and increasing at the 3~4 hour mark.
Also you suggested to insulate after your meal meaning you would of been even higher at the 2 hour mark.
You had a normal reading much later indicating correct insulin dose.
Solution would be to inject 15~20 mins before meal giving the insulin a head start and peaking at the 2 hour mark as to reduce the high reading to a normal level, so insulin is peaking same time as carbs.
Apologies if I have misunderstood things.