Creatine monohydrate

bkr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Im type 2 so cant 100% comment on what will be best for yourself, although the rule on protein is that excess in the body turns to glucose (I'd mailed Jason Fung & asked this one) which we dont need. I dont have a problem with creatine & its no effect on me, yet my hba1c has come down since cutting daily protein shakes (the only thing I have changed since my last check)
I'd steer to protein through natural food sources, chicken breast etc.. which is what Ill be doing more of anyhow.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@tim2000s

You're right there is some research that I've found too that included Type 2 diabetics.
An MD I know recommended that I take some creatine as it helps with GLUT-4 and absorption of glucose the control group had their HbA1c lowered by what looks like a full point! See info below

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20881878

RESULTS: Twenty-five subjects were analyzed (CR: n=13; PL: n=12). HbA1c was significantly reduced in the creatine group when compared with the placebo group (CR: PRE=7.4 ± 0.7, POST=6.4 ± 0.4; PL: PRE=7.5 ± 0.6, POST=7.6 ± 0.7; P=0.004; difference=-1.1%, 95% confidence interval=-1.9% to -0.4%).
I have to do some more research on how it helps..

JM
Reading the full test of this article in PubMed, I came across another:

"Creatine supplementation and glycemic control: a systematic review.
Pinto CL1, Botelho PB1, Pimentel GD1, Campos-Ferraz PL2,3, Mota JF4.

Abstract
The focus of this review is the effects of creatine supplementation with or without exercise on glucose metabolism. A comprehensive examination of the past 16 years of study within the field provided a distillation of key data. Both in animal and human studies, creatine supplementation together with exercise training demonstrated greater beneficial effects on glucose metabolism; creatine supplementation itself demonstrated positive results in only a few of the studies. In the animal studies, the effects of creatine supplementation on glucose metabolism were even more distinct, and caution is needed in extrapolating these data to different species, especially to humans. Regarding human studies, considering the samples characteristics, the findings cannot be extrapolated to patients who have poorer glycemic control, are older, are on a different pharmacological treatment (e.g., exogenous insulin therapy) or are physically inactive. Thus, creatine supplementation is a possible nutritional therapy adjuvant with hypoglycemic effects, particularly when used in conjunction with exercise."

So, if I have understood correctly, creatine probably won't help to lower your bg if you don't also exercise. Creatine may help to lower your bg if you do exercise, but it's not guaranteed. And maybe we can add, from the study quoted above, exercise without creatine likely won't lower bg as much as exercise with. But that's only one study of 25 subjects, as against a meta analysis of many studies.

Reactions: bkr

zuckerhonig

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I tend to drink at least a gallon of water a day without even thinking about it, but I sweat a ton (I lost 4 lbs running on the treadmill this morning for an hour).

As far as the amount you're taking, there's a law of diminishing returns when it comes to creating intake. Some people say that it builds up in your system faster if you take it in larger doses (more then 1g), but realistically almost all of that is going to go right through you.
Hi,

I am also considering taking a creatine supplement.

Having done a bit of research, I'd have to opt for the most studied, and the most cost effective variety - monohydrate - as the other 'more advanced' iterations don't appear to have any research to back up the inflated claims and prices.

Like so many of these supplements, additional or, at least sufficient water intake is always recommended. However, a gallon does seem like a big ask. I mean, it is probably easy to drink that much when you're exercising vigorously - I'm thinking HIIT or weight training - but in a cool climate like the UK, I doubt you'd get through that much naturally even on a half marathon!

Bigkt1981

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Any one know the best protein shake for a type 1 diabetic i was using cyclone maxi muscle before i was a diabetic so would like to start that again