Creeping fasting sugars - experience needed!

El_em

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I’m type 1 and 18 weeks pregnant - I noticed at 16 weeks my fasting sugars were starting to jump up, from 4.7 to 6.1 over a couple of days. I was taking 7 units of insulatard slow acting insulin at night at 15 weeks, and at 18 weeks I’m already creeping up again on 10 units (I adjust by 1 unit every 3 days if fasting numbers read above 5.3). Is this to be expected and I’ll just keep increasing my dose from this point? I thought they wouldn’t go up for a few more weeks but I’m prepared to deal if it started already!

I don’t see my nurse or consultant again for a few weeks, but assuming that one or two higher than usual fasting results are ok as long as I react appropriately (correct when I as them at 8 hours and my day time numbers are good). I also eat cheese and 2 crackers before bed to try and avoid any glucose being pumped out overnight by my body but don’t tend to bolus for it. Maybe if it’s too long after dinner this could be causing my sugar to go up as well overnight?

Any advice or experience to share would be lovely, I’m new to diabetes being diagnosed type 1 at 6 weeks into my first pregnancy so I’m winging it to say the least :)

El_em

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is my cgm data from last night - I ate two crackers with cheese (about 5g carbs) just before I went to bed at midnight, and injected 10 units of insulatard just afterwards. I usually raise a low glucose reading with 5g carbs so wasn’t concerned I was already a bit low, but this is why I didn’t bolus any extra knowing my dinner time insulin would have worn off).

Attachments

• 804634EE-B98E-4D9F-BA52-9BA5BC663E7F.png
    804634EE-B98E-4D9F-BA52-9BA5BC663E7F.png
    216.8 KB · Views: 353