Creon

ANF

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lovely to have found this site as one can feel very isolated. I have found that sitting for approx 20mins after eating a mainish meal helps control the urgency to some extent & obviously small amounts. I also avoid anything with added sugar. I seem to be able to manage my weight if I eat what I do & keep my steps at around 10000, I manage to stay at around 7st 6lbs. Family & friends are very supportive as are various eateries in the area, giving me small portions & letting me know if there is any/much added sugar. I have got very good at ignoring any lingering smell if I am out shopping although my husband sometimes gets glared at. Doesn't happen as much now as in the early years.

S

Shar67

Ailypase is a lipase replacement suppliment, similar to what you buy from the likes of Holland & Barrett, other than finding that out, the only other thing I found out is, it is the preferred treatment for cats and dogs with lancing issues.

I was told there was inferior to Creon replacement enzymes but Creon has been proved to be the best.
As Creon is made from pig pancreas, there are some people who for religious or other may have reservations about taking it. It is the only pig product that both Islamic and Jewish leaders allow to be prescribed as really there is no better alternative.

Goodwife

Hi am new to the forum. I've joined to educate myself more to help my husband who had the Whipple in October last year (had head of pancreas removed gall bladder and duodenum.due to kidney tumour spread) . After a difficult recovery which was expected he seems to manage creons quite well compared with posts here. He takes 2x25000 with each meal and one or two with a snack. This seems to suit him. Our pancreatic nurse said it's like putting dishwasher tablet in machine an does the job! So he takes with a good drink of water before meal. He also takes lansoprazole. His diabetes is the difficulty now. Readings up and down. Great reading everyone's experiences think this an old thread though

S

Shar67

@Goodwife, I am a lapsing vegetarian, I found going veggie was better for me rather than take Creon (I take it with fats and protein meals). I take pantaprazole as I found lansoprazole made me vomit.

ballabob

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I don't think that I'm classified as a 3c, but I do share similarities with your condition.
My pancreas was removed a while back, which is the reason why I'm diabetic and have to take Creon to process the food I eat.

I'm sure many of you have to take Creon as well.

I would just like to know how much Creon (or similar) do you approximately need? I take 1 25000 lipase unit capsule for 4g of fat I eat, and it seems to work for me if I eat relatively low fat food. High fat foods (chocolate etc.) don't get digested at all in larger (more than 40g) quantities.

Also, how many capsules do you end up eating per day on average? I rarely go below 25...
I take 5 x 25000 creon just before each meal, following a partial removal of my pancreas, to treat the T2 I take apprx 14 units of Novarapid....... I have never heard of type 3c diabetes what are the symptoms compared to T2 ?

ballabob

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Creon is so individual. No one is the same and you'll find that you'll change over years or in fact with different types of food etc. You'll get bad days/good days when you need more or less.
I find I need way more than usual with a rich pasta dish. Not so much with chips. It's all very individual. Don't compare yourself to anyone else..after a couple of months you'll know how everything effects you.

I honestly though wouldn't restrict yourself to using 25,000. There are 10,000 and 40,000 strengths on the market. 10s are good for snacks etc. 40s are great for rich meals/a set course meal.
Also there are other brands of enzymes you can try if creon doesn't seem to be doing the trick.,

You should never take creon after a meal otherwise it's just chasing your food. Either all before if you don't want a lot of hassle or some before and some mid way. The latter usually works for me as I'm a fussy eater and sometimes don't eat all my food!
Cant get 40,000 any more so now I take 5 x 25000 before each meal

SunnyDuck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Because in some cases eg some people who have CF it is sometimes suggested that the capsule is opened and sprinkled on their food and in other conditions its recommended that you don't do it due to the short life of the enzymes. So it would depend on the individuals circumstances. Saying that I'm told they taste disgusting!!:)

That's usually only suggested for small children who can't swallow the tablets yet. They are recommended to sprinkle it over apple purée etc rather than their actual food. It's seen as better than no enzymes at all. They're encouraged to swallow whole as soon as they can. You'll be able to see how quickly the enzymes "dizzolves" if you sprinkle it over mash potato.

SunnyDuck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cant get 40,000 any more so now I take 5 x 25000 before each meal

I was hoping this situation would change! Still keeping my fingers crossed! I was lucky that as I have been on them 20+ years that my pharmacy had a good batch which kept me going a while!

SunnyDuck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ailypase is a lipase replacement suppliment, similar to what you buy from the likes of Holland & Barrett, other than finding that out, the only other thing I found out is, it is the preferred treatment for cats and dogs with lancing issues.

I was told there was inferior to Creon replacement enzymes but Creon has been proved to be the best.
As Creon is made from pig pancreas, there are some people who for religious or other may have reservations about taking it. It is the only pig product that both Islamic and Jewish leaders allow to be prescribed as really there is no better alternative.

There are several others on the market which are also made from pigs. Different ones are preferred for different reasons. Most people are usually on creon as I believe it is one of the cheaper options.

S

Shar67

There are several others on the market which are also made from pigs. Different ones are preferred for different reasons. Most people are usually on creon as I believe it is one of the cheaper options.[/QUOTE
Creon®, Nutrizym®, Pancrease® and Pancrex®
Cost depends on strength Creon works out the most expensive, Pancrex comes in powder form and is used by vets to treat dogs and cats. For people with no pancreatic function the only option is to take ones made from pigs, hence the chief Rabbi amd Imam have ok'd it for use when all other medical options have been discounted

SunnyDuck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Creon 25,000 (contains pancreatin *Pork*) 100 caps = £28.25
Nytrizym 22 (contains pancreatin *Pork*) 100 caps = £33.33
Pancrease HL (contains pancreatin *Pork*) 100 caps = £40.38

Those are all similar dosage to the 25 creon. Pancrease HL is also a 25,000 dosage (albeit protase and amylase is slightly higher) and nutrizym is manufactured as a 22 rather than 25 (they chose dosage of 11..22..etc). Creon micro and pancrex are granule versions whereas pancrex V is a slightly lower strength to creon 10,000. Of course they go up in price on strength but I've given you the cost of the three in the same category. I've tried them all, there's not a huge amount of difference as you would expect as they all do the same thing. Others i know find different ones work better but obviously that happens with other drugs too, some people are just better to suited to one opposed to the other.
Just wanted to say I didn't reply to start a back and forth disagreement, after 20 odd years of being on this drug and knowing more than 200 people also on it I'm well aware that creon is advertised as "the only one" or "the best" many don't know others exist or get the chance to try them. Whereas in fact everyone's personal need is different and some preparations can work superiorly on certain people. Just putting the other options out there.

sean1964

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I take 5 x 25000 creon just before each meal, following a partial removal of my pancreas, to treat the T2 I take apprx 14 units of Novarapid....... I have never heard of type 3c diabetes what are the symptoms compared to T2 ?

Hello Ballabob!

It's not different symptoms as such. But there are characteristics.
There are more definitions etc. in this forum. Please take a look / make a post.

One difference will hopefully be the way the diabetes is treated. e.g malabsorption may play a role.
Also often an assumption is made in the (non) taking of insulin for type 2's.

Do you class yourself as type 2? Do you fit the criteria? Isnt type 2, resistance to your own insulin? Or underproduction by a complete pancreas?

Sean

Pammy_50

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

I don't think that I'm classified as a 3c, but I do share similarities with your condition.
My pancreas was removed a while back, which is the reason why I'm diabetic and have to take Creon to process the food I eat.

I'm sure many of you have to take Creon as well.

I would just like to know how much Creon (or similar) do you approximately need? I take 1 25000 lipase unit capsule for 4g of fat I eat, and it seems to work for me if I eat relatively low fat food. High fat foods (chocolate etc.) don't get digested at all in larger (more than 40g) quantities.

Also, how many capsules do you end up eating per day on average? I rarely go below 25...
I was diagnosed with pancreatic tumour march 2016 surgeons removed pancreas spleen Dudeonal gland and part of the stomach plus gallbladder.
5mnts later I am diagnosed with type 1 diabetes insulin dependent I am taking creon 12 tablets per meal I am currently feeling very low due to the weight gain has due to the pancreatic tumour I lost alot of weight.
Please can someone advise me I cannot understand this diabetes at all

Pammy_50

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I have just found this site .. I am currently really struggling with my diabetes control .. But like you I have had my pancreas removed I had a full whipples operation a long time ago and they also removed gall bladder / duodenum .. Consequently I take creon / insulin and really struggle sometimes .. I take creon usually 4 with meal / 2 with snack but recently just tend to graze on low fat snacks bit his just makes my sugars stack up !!! I also suffer with really bad reflux some days ! I am finding this thread so interesting and hoping to pick up some tips :) thanks .. I used to fake nutrizym but found the creon easier to break down .. Thanks :)

sean1964

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed with pancreatic tumour march 2016 surgeons removed pancreas spleen Dudeonal gland and part of the stomach plus gallbladder.
5mnts later I am diagnosed with type 1 diabetes insulin dependent I am taking creon 12 tablets per meal I am currently feeling very low due to the weight gain has due to the pancreatic tumour I lost alot of weight.
Please can someone advise me I cannot understand this diabetes at all

Hiya Pammy

How do you mean about the diabetes?
Do you mean you are having real difficulty with the control?
Are you on basal / bolus insulin regime?

Sean

Approx 5* creon 40,000 per meal. Was 8* 25,000 (same ofc) but adjust with size and fat / protein content.

Pammy_50

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hiya Pammy

How do you mean about the diabetes?
Do you mean you are having real difficulty with the control?
Are you on basal / bolus insulin regime?

Sean

Approx 5* creon 40,000 per meal. Was 8* 25,000 (same ofc) but adjust with size and fat / protein content.
Hi Sean
Diabetes is a struggle to understand I am unsure what my insulin comes under I take 18 units twice daily novo mix 30 long acting?
Blood glucose levels are between 5 and 10 daily unless I go into hypo mode dropping to 2 . something.
I monitor carbs daily still weight is increasing I cannot excerise due to internal surgery and ongoing pain walking any distance brings on steathorrea and pain do what I can.
I went to bed Saturday night reading 7.4 I totally forgot to take my insulin only to get up next morning to a reading of 9.4 I cannot understand why.
Appreciate any support I can get thanks Sean