1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Criteria for pump

Discussion in 'Insulin Pump Forum' started by Fayesiec_, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Fayesiec_

Fayesiec_ Type 1 · Member

Hi
    I keep asking my team to at least try me on the pump and it’s no no no.
    Why I ask? Is there a specific criteria? Is it costs? Is it me?
    I have just started my return to practice course- back to nursing. Been out of it for 10yrs. I believe the pump will help frankly!!
    Am I missing something? Any thoughts would be gratefully appreciated. (I’ve had Type 1 for 13mths btw).

2. dancer

dancer Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Obviously cost is a reason for most decisions but if you don't meet the NICE guidelines, they won't consider the pump. Have you checked the guidelines?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Books1

Books1 LADA · Well-Known Member

Have a look at this website http://www.inputdiabetes.org.uk
    Gives guidelines and lots of other useful info.

I found there were quite a lot of hoops to jump through before finally getting a pump earlier this month including: dafne course (carb counting) & changing my basal insulin. Was also told 'no' by junior doctor altho nurse had said 'yes but I just kept asking and my new consultant (same hospital) finally said ok, funding came through 2 days before Christmas so it can happen.
    Good luck and do as much research as you can to prove you really really want it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ruby_jane26

ruby_jane26 Type 1 · Active Member

Have you had any luck yet?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook