Criteria

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
[QUOTEthat is a="Sweethear66, post: 1238470, member: 119231"]They suggested setting my alarm for 4 or 5 am and injecting a few units of novorapid but that doesnt seem to be a long term solution. Since being told I did'nt fit the criteria I suppose thats what I will start doing from tomorrow[/QUOTE]
They suggested setting my alarm for 4 or 5 am and injecting a few units of novorapid but that doesnt seem to be a long term solution. Since being told I did'nt fit the criteria I suppose thats what I will start doing from tomorrow
that is a fabulous long term solution ( NOT )
it might work for a bit but will disrupt your whole work / Life balance

i genuinely wish you all the best in your trying to get a pump.
do keep trying

all the best
xx

Reactions: 2 people

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
that is a fabulous long term solution ( NOT )
it might work for a bit but will disrupt your whole work / Life balance

i genuinely wish you all the best in your trying to get a pump.
do keep trying

all the best
xx

I agree, I'm in the same boat right now and am finding having to wake up just before dawn for some cheeky Novorapid a real pain in the rear end as are the extra mid-morning shots of Novorapid as I have both DP and WP and the WP goes on and on (clearly my liver thinks I spend all morning running away from Sabre-toothed tigers).

Gonna try one more concerted effort with my consultant in November then ask for referral to a different clinic. A call to Input is definitely on the cards before November.

At least I've now reached the stage where I just wake up at 4am without needing an alarm that wakes up my other half...sigh.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hey @1abRat
it is good you have this short term solution -- so well done you for persevering to find it !!
but it can't be ideal waking every morning for a cheeky "wake up dose"
hope you can get to a pump yourself !!!

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
They suggested setting my alarm for 4 or 5 am and injecting a few units of novorapid but that doesnt seem to be a long term solution. Since being told I did'nt fit the criteria I suppose thats what I will start doing from tomorrow

What about Novorapid immediately on waking?

Reactions: 4 people

1abRat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @1abRat
it is good you have this short term solution -- so well done you for persevering to find it !!
but it can't be ideal waking every morning for a cheeky "wake up dose"
hope you can get to a pump yourself !!!

Thanks! Me too; after all this sleep deprivation I'll be able to star in the next season of The Walking Dead!

Reactions: 4 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
What about Novorapid immediately on waking?
that was my routine for years -- but does not prevent the overnight rise from about 4AM ( for me anyway )

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Over the top political correctness
Thats alright for them to suggest that isn't it! After a period of time your going to be shattered, not only that you would probably have to inject much earlier than that for the insulin to work and another question i would have is how do they know when the dawn phenomenon kicks in for you?

Throw something else into the works and ask for a CGM so that you can find out when the Dawn Phenomenon kicks in for you.

Maybe I've missed read your post but was it your GP practice that decided your not eligible? If so in my opinion your speaking to the wrong people, speak directly to your Diabetes Clinic.

Good luck

Martin

Last edited by a moderator:

richyb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Cold weather
the DP could be a loss of basal insulin. I used to take Levimer twice a day which was not too bad. I am now on one ijection of Toujeo and find the DP. hardly noticable. Only problem with very long acting basal is it takes 3 or 4 day's to adjust and see the results

Sweetheart66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
No it was hospital clinic that wont even put in an application for a pump. They dont have any cgm to offer but tried to get me to buy one but I have had to cut back days working due to health (I have RA as well) so cant afford a libre. I did my own blood tests over night and my DP starts around 4 to 4:30am. Im now injecting a couple of units at 5am then 5 units at 8am then a ratio of 1 to 3 for breakfast and will probably need more because my DP doesnt stop until midday!

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Something wrong here me thinks.

As for CGM I'm afraid my wage packet can't support it, an excellent tool to have though.

Regards

Martin

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Sweethear66 it might be worth having a look at your basal, just to see if there's anything that could be changed with that to help with the DP. What is your basal? Do you take a split dose? Would hypos be a concern if you increased evening dose?

I think you can try and play about with timings of split dose so that you get an "overlap" right at the tricky dawn period.

It might not work, but worth looking into for a lie in, maybe?

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Just a thought, have you ever done a DAFNE course? If not get your name on the waiting list. You may well be up to speed regarding type 1 diabetes, carb counting etc but after the ciurse there are follow up checkups to see how the course has impacted on your control. Its not going to solve your Dawn Phenomenon but these follow ups will certainly see your problem and doing the course will also show your willingness to improve your control.

Ok you may well be seeing the same people but it will certainly prove that you are serious in trying to improve your control and hopefully make your case stronger.

Regards

Martin

Hirstygirl

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya, just a bit of advice from my own experience. I would at least try anything your dsn suggests, as they have to try all other avenues before pumping, understandable as the Nhs is struggling. Even if as you say testing injecting during the night is not a long term solution, you have to prove that is isn't right for you. Then you have evidence to help your application along.

If that makes any sense?
Kind regards and don't give up

Sweetheart66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have done the carb counting course and have had follow up sessions. They changed me from glargine to levemir and I have tinkered with the basal but either end up with a hypo in the middle of the night or one in the afternoon about 4 pm when I am still at work. I will obviously keep adjusting my doses because I want to get good control but its frustrating when the effort does not produce the results.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
I have done the carb counting course and have had follow up sessions. They changed me from glargine to levemir and I have tinkered with the basal but either end up with a hypo in the middle of the night or one in the afternoon about 4 pm when I am still at work. I will obviously keep adjusting my doses because I want to get good control but its frustrating when the effort does not produce the results.

What time do you take your basal in the evening? Just wondered if you had tried injecting it an hour later. Or perhaps try one of the Isophanes, at least that has a peak in it so should knock the DP on it's head, no idea what it will do to the rest of your control though.

From reading your account of your pump request if it were me I would write to the consultant and ask him to put in writing to you his/hers reasons for pump refusal.

Do make a list of all the things you have tried to alleviate your DP, so you can then show the new consultant what you have done and also the result.
The idea about you having to set an alarm to wake up in the early hours for extra insulin is not an option as it interferes with your quality of life.
It's all very well a consultant (how did s/he qualify) telling you to do this but s/he can go home at the end of the day and forget all about diabetes because he doesn't have it or have to live with it 24/7 365 days a year.

Sweetheart66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes after I typed up the previous comment I wondered if giving the Levemir later might make a difference. I will give it an hour later for a few days and see what happens. Since doing the carb counting it has involved alot more injections. I have the added ones for DP and for correction doses and sometimes I realise Ive miss calculated and then have to inject twice! I am very nervous of hypos especially when working so have all the added blood testing. Considering I work as a nurse I find others I work with very ignorant and unsupportive! Its refreshing when a patient comes in thats diabetic and I get to discuss a common problem.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Sent you a PM..i live around your area by the sounds of it...

Gemma2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Age is nothing to do with it. I got a Pump aged 74 and Type 1 for 53 years. I love it.

iHs

@Sweethere65

Do you inject equal amounts of Levemir in morning and evening or do you adjust it and give more in morning and less in evening. If injecting more basal at night to deal with DP, could you offset the hypo in the early hours by eating a snack? That would probably do away with the need to get up at 5 am to do a bolus which is only ok in the short term but not longterm as we all need our sleep. My consultant would be upset and shocked if she found out that diabetics were doing what yr dsn has advised but you should be able to make this a good case to get a pump and I think you should try to get GP to do a referal to another hospital.

rockape37

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Prior to going on the pump i would take my Basal (Humulin i) at 2300 hrs just before bed and at the same time when on night shift. I didn't have a problem with DP whilst on nights and i believe that may have been something to do with my meals and any corrections taken with them infact if anything i would more likely to be a bit on the low side and have to snack to ensure my BG was legal for my drive home.

My basal in the mornings were generally taken at 0700 on non work days but on work days usually about 0630 so not much variation.

Fortunately for me DP didn't rear its ugly head till early this year and as i have already mentioned I'm now using a pump and my basal has dropped by 50% with no DP.

My Bolus dosages has also dropped considerably.
I don't know if anything i have just said is going to help you but i thought it might help. Looking at it another way if we were speaking face to face all of this would have been spoken of but typed up on a forum it can look a little insignificant or off topic.

Again good luck and I wish you well.

Martin