cruise ship chefs

sunshine11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
american football
That was a great artical on Aurtralia and I applaud the decision to recommend cutting down on sugar consumption.
Can someone now educate cruise ship chefs on the same subject and also introduce them to the glycemic index, so that we don't have to put up with endless meals of potatoes and white rice and sugary sauces and desserts

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I totally agree but it's largely due to cost, a bit of ignorance and customer demand. It's why the supermarkets are full of 'junk' food. Sugar in particular is cheap and so, relatively is white flour, rice and potatoes. Our last two cruises were on Celebrity and if you are prepared to pay more for their Aqua class you get to use the healthy Blu restaurant.; may be other cruise lines offer similar (sadly, Cunard doesn't)

EllisB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's not just cruise ships.

Many holiday hotels make it difficult to eat healthily, and not just hotels - the restaurants up the mountain in ski resorts seem to only do junk food!

Neicy0412

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been on cruises and also many " normal" holidays, I have always found a good variety of food, lots of salad and fruit, fish, chicken and cheeses. At breakfast loads of choice from cereals to full English, bread, cheese, cold meats and goodness only knows what else, I am always surprised when people complain about the food choices it makes me wonder what on earth they eat at home.

Trunin

Dislikes
Arrogance, lies, and flees
I am pre-diabetic but I watch my carbs very closely. My doctor said there was no need to order a diabetic diet for my next transatlantic cruise this month, there is plenty of healthy foods and it's up to me to make the right decisions. I was on a cruise back in November 2012 and I was unaware of my condition at that time, so I had a great time enjoying ALL the food! I'll be more careful this time. I cruise with Royal Caribbean. My sister, who has had full blown diabetes for 10 years, was also on that cruise and she didn't have a problem with the regular food that was offered. She was careful not to eat all the carbs in her plate, and she did just fine.