1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Crumble for apple crumble.

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by Rosemaryx, Jun 1, 2014.

1. AnnieC

AnnieC · Guest

I always thought almond flour and ground almonds were the same thing this recipe says to use both

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

There is a difference Annie, this link explains it :)

http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2013/02/low-carb-basics-baking-with-almond-flour.html

I make a crumble topping occasionally using 200g of ground almond 50g of butter chopped in, I chop it in until it's fine breadcrumbs rather than rub it in because this releases too much oil from the almonds, sweetener to taste and a handful of chopped mixed nuts for texture

3. Patsy B

Patsy B Type 2 · Member

Must admit I have made an apple crumble a few times and omitted the sugar by using the sweetner candarel I used plain flour and it was delicious... but will have to try this recipe as it also sounds delicious <3

4. AnnieC

AnnieC · Guest

Can you actually buy almond flour in this country ...that liink was a US one so obviously obtainable there...When I asked about almond flour when I first joined here I was told it was just ground almonds

5. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You can get on line Annie never seen it in shops, personally I don't buy it as I only bake a couple of times a year, christmas and Easter usually, in my opinion if ground almonds are working for you then just stick to them, have found a link for some if you are interested

http://www.realfoodstore.co.uk/organic-ultra-fine-high-protein-almond-flour/

To add a little note to my recipe above for crumble, I always have a bit of the mix left as it makes just a bit too much for my crumble dish, add a little milk them squeeze it together to form a dough, roll into balls and flatten them bake in the oven for about 10 mins makes a lovely crunchy crumbly biscuit. I use these biscuits crushed for a low carb cheese cake rather than just mixing almonds with butter for the base

6. Scouser58

Scouser58 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hello all crumble fans out there, what did I start, well never mind everybody has given me more ideas to work on, especially using up the extra bits into biscuits, wonder if apple juice would work to squeeze them into the little balls? thank you lovinglife, and you mention cheese cake, another fav, being a diabetic is such a challenge to find nice things that are not too naughty. My carer is a more crumble than apple fan, so will work on these ones for him to try, lol.
    To all crumbel fans, what can we come up with next to droole about?? till than keep well and keep posting, ttfn

7. Patsy B

Patsy B Type 2 · Member

I used ground almonds yesterday and was pleasantly surprised ...it was delicious and thank you for that tip about extra mix i did think there was too much crumble or maybe not enough apple laughs so will do that next time and make some nice biscuits as well, thank
    you

8. RFSMarch

RFSMarch Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Thank you for these suggestions!!! I think I am going to try almond flour as my general solution to white flour ... now I just need it to stop tipping down so I can venture into town

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook