Crunching noise in lower back

M

mist

So I do a lot of abdominal exercises and when I lay flat on my back and do leg lifts, crunches, sit-ups..etc I hear an audible "pop" noise and feel something at the base of my spine, not pain, in fact it actually feels quite good, like when you crack your knuckles.

Has anyone else experienced this or know what it might be?

M

ME_Valentijn

Has anyone else experienced this or know what it might be?
Yes, that's cracking the joints in your back :) Latest research says it's harmless (or even beneficial for pain/stiffness) and isn't going to make your spine dissolve or anything.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks for the info ;)

My wallet wouldn't make any noise, it's always empty..:joyful:

It's the echoing popping noise that gave it away, it always creaks when opening like a rusty gate!;)

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never had an empty wallet - there have always been a couple of moths left over when the cash has gone....they just crawl to the edge & fall off - I suppose it's because they have never had the chance to learn how to fly.....

M

mist

I've never had an empty wallet - there have always been a couple of moths left over when the cash has gone....they just crawl to the edge & fall off - I suppose it's because they have never had the chance to learn how to fly.....

Bwahahaha..nice!

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
The wife has said I'm not to discuss my personal monetary transactions! (Ha!)
In other words, let her worry how to spend, I just keep making it!

I know my place!

Sounds like you speak from experience..;)

Correct!

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your spine should move up in a fairly straight line when doing abdominal exercises. The pop is probably harmless but you could still be using a less than perfect form.

When you lay flat on your back tilt you pelvis until the gap in the lower back area is completely gone ... that's a completely flat back. Doing crunches like the picture below is better for your back in the long run and pretty challenging. Just try to touch your knees with your elbows by lifting your entire upper body. Also when doing leg lifts pushing your back flat against the surface increases tension, you also need to contract your gluts to do so and slightly tilt your pelvis. Not saying you're not doing so already but i found this to be way more challenging and effective.

crunchtime2.jpg

M

mist

Your spine should move up in a fairly straight line when doing abdominal exercises. The pop is probably harmless but you could still be using a less than perfect form.

When you lay flat on your back tilt you pelvis until the gap in the lower back area is completely gone ... that's a completely flat back. Doing crunches like the picture below is better for your back in the long run and pretty challenging. Just try to touch your knees with your elbows by lifting your entire upper body. Also when doing leg lifts pushing your back flat against the surface increases tension, you also need to contract your gluts to do so and slightly tilt your pelvis. Not saying you're not doing so already but i found this to be way more challenging and effective.

crunchtime2.jpg

Hey that's great information! Thanks a lot, I will put those techniques into practice today and see if the mystery pop noise persists or lessens. Like I say it's not painful or anything, in fact it feels good, but I think you're correct, there is something wrong with my form but hopefully now I can get it right.

Knowledge is power

Reactions: zand