Crunchy snacks

setto

Hey guys,

I thought i would just post this to find out how many packets/bags of crisps is ok for diabetics a day. I was told you could only have 1 bag of crisps a day with diabetes and i love my crisps so im a bit annoyed.

Please could someone correct this. (If it needs it)

Setto

ChocFish

I am probably a total spoil sport, but crisps arent the healthiest choice of food for anyone whether diabetic or not, they are usually high in fat and carbs and salt, I would say to have just the one bag of crisps if you are hooked on them but snack on something a bit healther throughout the day? For example nuts/nibble on cheese/vegetable crudites with some dip, yogurt, maybe? I tend to snack on cherry tomatoes, diced cucumber or berries and remember to do your testing, see how different snacks affect your bg.

I mean you can eat anything you like, but you should be thinking more along the lines of nutrients and health giving properties and of course everything in moderation.

I hope I didnt upset you too much here.

All the best

Karen

setto

Upset me?, noo.

I see what you mean about snacking on healthier foods but crisps aren't a terrible snack. I don't always eat crisps for a snack i normally do eat healthier. For snacks i have most of the time cucumber and maybe some pasta.

Pasta is a good carb i think.

Anyways, thanks for your post.

donnamum

If it has to be crisps then from experience with my daughter quavers or skips seem to be the best. I know everone is different but they are only 10g carbs. She had Walkers sensations once......only once her bg rocketed all day.

LesleyB

I very rarely eat crisps these days, and I used to love crisps, I guess you eventually get used to not having them.

Plus, the only time I really snack between meals is either when I have a hypo, or when I am drinking. I just don't feel the need to anymore.

It was difficult at first and I have had many discussions with other people about this, all of the people at my work eat crisps, chocolate, cake, etc and look at me and wonder how I sit here resisting temptation. i would rather have vaguely "normal" blood sugars than have a piece of cake or a bag of crisps.

At my first three monthly consult, the consultant looked at my food diary and could not believe how much I ate, I was putting on loads of weight and I was eating "healthy" snacks like nuts and yoghurt etc.

Cut ALL of the snacks out, gradually of course, and now, I eat 3 meals a day and no snacks! I find I am hungry when I have high blood sugar but ok when sugars are normal, so that's an incentive to get proper BGs for me!

whitemare

Type of diabetes
LADA
I do the snack thing, but it's usually carrots, apples or nuts.

I include the snacks in my calorie count and it seems to work. I eat about every 2 - 3 hours. You have to watch the portions, but it works.

When it really bites is after going to the gym. I really need a boost about an hour after pounding the cross trainer. I have a 70 calorie cereal bar with my isotonic lager. :D