Crying all night.

P

paula.nolan42

I am exhausted this morning. Such a bad night. I cried myself into a terrible state. My emotions all weekend have been up and down like a yoyo but I managed to get a lot done around the house. When I went to bed last night, fully intending to get up early for a morning walk, my head went into melt down. It's like every bad decision I've ever made came back to haunt me. I was (am) overwhelmed by my feelings of inadequacy. Right now I am very tired, I feel like I've been beaten up. I've emailed my boss to take a personal day, which I don't like to do because it backs up the feeling that I can't cope.

ktbubble

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning. Sorry to hear your having such a tough time. Try and summons the energy to go for a walk. It will definitely help. Try not to beat yourself up. You're human and some days are better than others. Try and be your own best friend. When I feel overwhelmed i try and write my thoughts and feelings down to get them out of my head and focus on one thing at a time. Then I ring my bestie to off load.

Take care

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
First reaction from me? Too much effort directed to goals whatever they might be ... so cut back, do what you must and then what you can. It comes through that you're trying a little too hard and letting it affect you. Small targets first

Wishing you well

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Big hug...sorry you're feeling so down...I've been there before too and it's a miserable feeling. Try to focus on the good things in your life...you've made some excellent progress recently...surely that's a positive. Someone once said some wise words to me which are something I revisit on these occasions...'don't stress over what you can't change...what's done is done...focus on what you can change'. Be kind to yourself today...take yourself for a nice walk...I often find that settles the mind.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@paula.nolan42 . Be kind to yourself. If you are tired rest but if you don't feel you will fall asleep then get dressed and go out for a walk and then see if you can sleep. We all make mistakes but we need to draw a line in the sand and move on leaving them behind. You are a very intelligent lady who is very warm and friendly. Try praising your strengths rather than highlighting errors.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Night time is the worst for brooding over things @paula.nolan42 I know how frustrating it is to be trying to sleep and have your head full of stuff. The only tip I have is to actively not think about whatever's bothering you during the evening. If you need to think about it, process it, or just have a good cry, then do that in the morning then try to put it aside.

Hopefully, you'll find coping strategies - a book, thinking about good things before you go to sleep, or maybe even some kind of relaxation exercises before bed.

Be kind to yourself X

Reactions: 2 people

Rosbif

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I'm sorry you're having a tough time, hopefully a good cry has done you some good. I'm prone to awful anxiety in the very early morning, imagining disaster scenarios in every area of my life while husband snores softly next to me! It's horrible. The best thing is to get up and read a book/tablet or something in another room. Be kind to yourself and take it slow. Things are always darkest before the dawn.
x

Reactions: 6 people
P

paula.nolan42

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your support. I think just being able to say it 'out-loud' even if only virtually was very helpful. My anxiety doesn't kick in as much as it used to and it takes me by surprise when it does. On Saturday I had seen a man in a mobility scooter (a very jazzed up scooter) but I noticed that he was an amputee. The running monologue in my head said that'll be because of diabetes. I seem to do that now, attribute diabetes to every person I see in a scooter or on crutches. I am making this leap and imagining things to be worse than they are. 1+1=58,973,651½ Usually I can keep on the bright side with humour and generally I know I am still learning and still coming to terms with it all. But last night it all just got so much and there was no escape from it. Now, that I've had some sleep, it all looks so much better and I don't know why I couldn't control my thoughts...

Reactions: 11 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your support. I think just being able to say it 'out-loud' even if only virtually was very helpful. My anxiety doesn't kick in as much as it used to and it takes me by surprise when it does. On Saturday I had seen a man in a mobility scooter (a very jazzed up scooter) but I noticed that he was an amputee. The running monologue in my head said that'll be because of diabetes. I seem to do that now, attribute diabetes to every person I see in a scooter or on crutches. I am making this leap and imagining things to be worse than they are. 1+1=58,973,651½ Usually I can keep on the bright side with humour and generally I know I am still learning and still coming to terms with it all. But last night it all just got so much and there was no escape from it. Now, that I've had some sleep, it all looks so much better and I don't know why I couldn't control my thoughts...

Paula - When you look at some of the things you have done since you were diagnosed (meaning your smoking amongst others), you have achieved a lot. Rome wasn't built in a day, but bricks were laid.

This thing has no quick fix, and the only thing I might suggest is you revisit your goals. From what I recall, you have rather a lot of them. Too many goals are likely to make each less achievable, so one or maximum two at any given time makes sense.

Maybe a quick look at this link might put a few things into perspective too:

http://finding-marbles.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/7_stages_emotion_change1.png

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@paula.nolan42 - sending you a HUG and hope you are feeling better today.:cat:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@paula.nolan42 have a chat with your diabetes nurse and tell her your worries. She needs to give you true perspective.
Myself I've come to understand. I can only do my best. Healthy, calm and intelligent best.
Because I'm doing my best it should (fingers crossed) prevent further complications. That's all I can do.
Ultimately I was born premature and have nearly died twice so any time I have is a bonus.
I suppose diabetes makes me live a healthier life than my siblings, friends and close acquaintances.
We'll just have to wait and see what encourages my demise but I'm working hard so it isn't my diabetes.
Please stop worrying about yours and keep it where it belongs. Controlled. -:)

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
I hope you are feeling better.
At times its good to have a cry.
Hug x

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
I'm sorry you're having a tough time, hopefully a good cry has done you some good. I'm prone to awful anxiety in the very early morning, imagining disaster scenarios in every area of my life while husband snores softly next to me! It's horrible. The best thing is to get up and read a book/tablet or something in another room. Be kind to yourself and take it slow. Things are always darkest before the dawn.
x
I tend to wake up feeling anxious,churning stomach and tight chest,it improves when I get up and start doing things,but it would be nice to have a lie in somtimes.

P

paula.nolan42

I want to say a sincere thank you to you all. Seriously, you've all helped me so much today. Thank you. xxx hugs to all

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
It is hard when we feel like this hugzzz and hope you are feeling better now :)