Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Giverny said:
cupcakes tend to be one of those treats that we all think we have to totally cut out because of the high sugar and carbohydrate levels. Well, that's simply not the case.

How is that 'simply not the case?' - possibly if you are not a diabetic? But I would suggest that the only diabetic who should eat a normal cup cake is a hypoing Type 1 and really they should probably just use glucose tablets to avoid a glucose bounce.

'Eat a normal diet' is the worst advice you can give a diabetic in my humble, but correct, opinion.

Dillinger

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
This is not a dig at anyone and only an observation and everyone should have their choice whether or not to eat cupcakes BUT I am concerned about the newly diagnosed,many who may not know what a carb even is or what is ok to eat and may also be running very high BG's too so the statement "well that's simply not the case" Re cupcakes and carbs and sugar on a diabetes forum maybe wasn't the best choice of words.

Best

Paul

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
paul-1976 said:
This is not a dig at anyone and only an observation and everyone should have their choice whether or not to eat cupcakes BUT I am concerned about the newly diagnosed,many who may not know what a carb even is or what is ok to eat and may also be running very high BG's too so the statement "well that's simply not the case" Re cupcakes and carbs and sugar on a diabetes forum maybe wasn't the best choice of words.

Best

Paul
Changed the wording slightly - can see how that would be confusing for newly diagnosed people. My mistake!

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Giverny said:
paul-1976 said:

Best

Paul
Changed the wording slightly - can see how that would be confusing for newly diagnosed people. My mistake!

Thanks. :wink:

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
Thanks Giverny - that's much clearer!

Whitby Jet, as ever, is where it's at for low-carb recipes...

Dillinger

Unbeliever

After a while it becomes easy to make certain assumptions . I am sure we all do it at times and don't even notice.

I wish others would follow Giverney's lead and be prepared to clarify their statements when it is pointed out to them
that the newly diagnosed could be confused., instead of getting into arguments about it. Most newly diagnosed are confused enough - I know I was.

Thanks for the clarification Giverny. I was startled at first but later thought maybe you had misssed out something from your post.
Its quite true that we don't have to miss out because there are many lowcarb, low sugar alternatives.

Storm in a cupcake

WhitbyJet

Oh dear, well each to their own, but for those that want to have a non bs spiking lavender cupcake, here is a recipe for you, been tried and tested many times in my kitchen, always a success.

INGREDIENTS:
sweetener equiv to 150g sugar
100 g almond flour (or 50 g soy flour and 50 g almond flour)
100 g cream or soy milk
100g melted butter
2 eggs
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons dried and crushed lavender

recipe makes about 8 large cupcakes.

Beat the eggs and sweetener until fluffy
Sift the flour, baking powder and lavender into the bowl, add the rest of the ingredients, stir well.

Fill batter into muffin cases, about 1/3 full, then bake at 150 degrees for 45 minutes.

Frosting:
1 pkg cream cheese/philadelphia
sweetener equiv to 100g sugar
3 tbsp lemon juice
a little violet/purple food colouring

Mix all ingredients together, pipe on top of the cooled muffins.

You can see the photo here: http://lchfbydefault.com/2013/06/02/lch ... -cupcakes/

Good health to all x

Reactions: 3 people

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Fantastic stuff, WhitbyJet. Keep 'em coming!

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Whitby Jet,

With "normal" receipes can you swap standard flour for a low carb one gram for gram and add a raising agent (Bicarb/baking powder) and the sugar for xyitol? I've got some old favourites that I'd like to try and adapt to my new diet, or is it a case of bin them and start from scratch?

WhitbyJet

Re:

lessci said:
Hi Whitby Jet,

With "normal" receipes can you swap standard flour for a low carb one gram for gram and add a raising agent (Bicarb/baking powder) and the sugar for xyitol? I've got some old favourites that I'd like to try and adapt to my new diet, or is it a case of bin them and start from scratch?

Some recipes can be substituted at a 1:1 ratio, but because weight, fat content and absorption rates are so different from that of normal flours, it does not work out so well.
E.g. a wheat flour recipe might need more liquid than what can be reasonably absorbed by almond flour. So if you simply substitute 1 for 1, your finished product will likely be soggy and collapse.
You can, however, adjust the ingredient ratios to account for that and come out with almond flour baked goods that are almost indistinguishable from the old recipes that you know and love.
So you need to be adventurous and be prepared to experiment.
-
The same goes for coconut flour
Generally you want to substitute 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup coconut flour for 1 cup of normal flour. You will also need to add extra eggs and liquid, so really I think it is best to use tried and tested recipes instead of experimenting. you wont believe some of the disasters that I have managed to create in my kitchen LOL, even the dog (who normally scoffs just about anything) turned up his nose

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
sorry this is uncupcake but with my jelly addiction and you mentioning the dog, my dearly departed beagle who would happily eat a wrapper let alone any food he could find, wouldnt touch jelly, it was the only thing he wouldnt eat, weird, maybee thats why they say humans are more intelligent than animals, we eat jelly

ShellyC23

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I love to bake but since being diagnosed as diabetic I no longer make cake because I wouldn't dare eat more than a mouthful. I fail to understand how someone can give a recipe which contains so much sugar and claim they are suitable for diabetics. I'd be interested in trying some true diabetic cake recipes but they all seem a bit confusing. I've just learnt to accept I can't make my cake and eat it.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
oh no :( thats wrong, i never baked before dx but now love to, theres so much you can do, please have a look at the recipes thread or read through Whitbyjet posts (sorry whitby i hope you dont mind me saying that lol) or go to www.diabeticgoodbaking.com to name but a couple of places :)

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What about the newly diagnosed type 1s thinking they have to cut out an occasional sweet treat forever? Not the case with working out ratios/timings of insulin. Only saying.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
im sorry if you mean me?, i dont know if this is ok for type1, im not saying they should or not do anything, the whole insulin thing is a mystery to me :( sorry

Morganator

These recipes sound delish however I have a severe nut allergy, any suggestions as to what I could use instead of almond flour would be much appreciated. (I have to avoid coconut too)

WhitbyJet

Morganator said:
These recipes sound delish however I have a severe nut allergy, any suggestions as to what I could use instead of almond flour would be much appreciated. (I have to avoid coconut too)

Oh now that is cruel, I feel so sorry for you. Hmmm if you are low carbing that would only leave you with flaxseed or soy flour or you use that Carbalose stuff?

Cinnamon and Orange cup cakes

3 eggs
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup sugar free syrup, such as Da Vinci
2 tablespoons orange juice
1 tablespoon vanilla essence
1 cup ground flaxseeds
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
2 tablespoons cinnamon

Beat the eggs with a whisk, add in the oil, syrup, juice and vanilla. In a small bowl, combine the remaining dry ingredients, then stir into the egg mixture. Let stand 5 minutes.

Spoon into 12 well-greased muffin cases Bake at 350º 12-15 minutes, or until they are lightly browned and set to the touch. Remove from the tin at once to cooling rack. Store in the fridge. Top with your favourite frosting, eg cream cheese with orange zest