1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Curcumin to lower blood sugar?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by kumera, Mar 10, 2017.

1. kumera

kumera Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Has anyone had any success with using spices to lower blood sugar? After going thru lots of information I've started on Curcumin tablets (Turmeric). I'm not really a person that usually believes in these things, but after being diagnosed with pre-diabetes I really would like to reverse it. I'm also on a low carb diet and have lost weight, and are adding High intensity training as soon as it gets a bit cooler here.

2. Kristin251

Kristin251 LADA · Expert

Turmeric did nothing for my bs but it did thin my blood. Too much. It was like water but it's a great anti I flammotory. None of them helped me. Jus flow carb did

• Like Like x 1
  3. Freema

Freema Type 2 · Expert

Just read that turmeric is bad for People that have had a kidney transplant ... wonder why that would be and if turmeric is bad for People with kidney problems as well

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. HelenHak

HelenHak Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have golden turmeric paste, garlic capsules, cider vinegar and ginger tea all in the hope of reducing my cholesterol. No idea if any of it has any effect on anything really but willing to try!

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Redrav

Redrav Type 2 · Active Member

I eat cooked karela and I find that my sugar levels drop. If you can tolerate the taste, I suggest u try juicing the karela and drinking it.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Redrav

Redrav Type 2 · Active Member

Karela is 'bitter gourd '

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

Too right it is, and whose Gord.?

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. kumera

Try low carb :) Side-effect of lowering your blood sugar with a low carb diet. My blood pressure's never been better before as well.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. kumera

I don't think I can drink that. Tried it in stir-fry once. Terribly bitter..but thanks for the info :)

10. kumera

I've heard of golden paste. Supposed to be good for a lot of things. Let us know if you think it works. Just be aware that ginger also thins your blood, I think?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. HelenHak

I do lowish low carb as well. My bgs are mainly in the 5s so I am doing well. The doc cancelled my second 3 month check. Said I didn't need it because my Hba1c had gone from 97 to 41 and I have lost 3 stone and to have it after 6 months instead.

• Winner Winner x 3
  12. HelenHak

I think it has improved my digestion.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen Other · Master

The last time I cooked up a meal I through in just about every spice we had in and if the wife hadn't stopped me the spice rack would of gone in as well I do tend to get carried away with things at times. Not sure if they actually help but the taste is good.

I do use fenugreek a lot as it is supposed to be beneficial for BS.

"Diabetes. Some research shows that consuming fenugreek seed, mixed with food during a meal, lowers blood sugar levels after the meal in people with type 2 diabetes. However, while taking 5-50 grams of fenugreek seed once or twice daily seems to work, lower doses of 2.5 grams don't seem to work. In people with type 1 diabetes, taking 50 grams of fenugreek seed powder twice daily seems to reduce the amount of sugar in the urine.

Painful menstrual periods (dysmenorrhea). Taking 1800-2700 mg of fenugreek seed powder three times daily for the first 3 days of a menstrual period followed by 900 mg three times daily for the remainder of two menstrual cycles reduces pain in women with painful menstrual periods. The need for painkillers was also reduced."

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-733-fenugreek.aspx?activeingredientid=733&

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. bobrobert

bobrobert Type 2 · Well-Known Member

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Angelofthemarches

Angelofthemarches Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You can get bitter melon tablets.

16. An experiment conducted by Newcastle Uni suggests that consuming turmeric when it is cooked with fat is more beneficial than taking tablets. I have golden milk most mornings for breakfast.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/art...s-turmeric-really-help-protect-us-from-cancer

17. HelenHak

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I got an email from Healthspan recently pushing their version.

Rubbished the BBC because you need a lot of powdered Turmeric to absorb enough.
    Rubbished versions with black pepper in because. allegedly, it can interact with other medications (although it is difficult to find any evidence online).
    Praised their liquid in a capsule version.

I still haven't worked out how much (mixed with fat) you have to consume a day to have a noticeable effect.

19. Judlepip

Judlepip Don't have diabetes · Active Member

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook