Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hope you have a fab birthday.

Here's my 2 pennies worth lol.. I only drink spirits with diet mixers and red wine now, beer, cider, champagne all send me sky rocket, so I avoid, I only take insulin for the carbs I eat and not what I drink and lastly I don't go OTT, people are normally too drunk to notice me drinking slowly so I pace myself and only have a few, always finished off with a packet of chips at the end of the night and a correction dose if required, I also down water too to help the liver clean up. Next morning a hearty breakfast and throughout all proceedings, regular checks.

I love going out, each time i'm with my partner or mates is cause for a celebration, and I also like to celebrate that I can control my diabetes and manage good blood sugars whilst still having fun, life is too short not to enjoy life with or without diabetes.

richardinglis

EmmRoseTat said:
However I forgot to ask about cider? Whats the affects of that?!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

I usually find it gives me AIDS (Alcohol induced dizzy spells) :lol:
As cider is made from apples (or pears if you like the pear ones), naturally high in sugar, one or two wont hurt but I would bear on the side of caution :thumbup:

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I used to drink westons vintage but at 8.2 % Couple of them and you see pixies.

1505helen

Well she's gone out! All I can do is wait for her to get home. She's out with really sensible friends one who has a type 1 dad, so I know they will look after her. My main worry is that she doesn't know how she'll react to the alcohol and she's had quite low levels for the last couple of days. At least she's had lots of good advice from you all thanks :)

Mr Happy

Bless her!

Also worth remembering a lot of hypo signs are similar to inebriated signs; confusion, slurred speech etc.

If sugar are 12-16 on return i wouldn't particularly try to correct, remember the old holsten pils ad - sugar turns to alcohol. If she is under 10 i would consider a bit of toast to see her through. Oh and tons of water.

On the plus side, diabetic hangovers hurt. A lot! Might be a while before she gets on that horse!

Try not to worry!

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
From an experienced diabetic drinker, I'd agree with Mr Happy! Good advice. As a rule, never correct if smashed.

sheil19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Drink away and have fun just do it in moderation....the drink that is!!! It can be tricky but testing is key. Also always remember to let your close friends know you're type 1 and what to do in case of an emergency. People can easily mistake you for getting drunk and take no notice but you may be having a hypo so make sure a close friend know this. Go out and enjoy yourself.....diabetes shouldn't hold you back from living a normal life.....to a certain extent!!

1505helen

She was a good girl! Her wonderful friends looked after her, they told the bouncers who said they wouldn't get thrown out if they looked a bit D&D. Her one friend was nominated driver so didn't drink and bought her home. She woke me up ( I went a bit OTT with a giant sized note on her pillow to remind her, just in case she failed to read the text I'd also sent!) her levels were 9.7 so I made her a snack toast and banana and a big glass of water.

She drank in moderation so no worshiping the porcelain gods! She did drink a jaeger bomb?? And had a bit of a headache before bed, but apart from needing a hearty breakfast she was fine. I can now officially stop stressing (well for a bit anyway :) )

Helen x

Deanna_Griff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
• Minging hypos
• Uncontrollable highs
• People who think I can’t eat doughnuts.. haha
Heya, i only got diagnosed in Feb this year!:) im type 1, i was on novo rapid but i've recently changed to the humalog :) but still on lantus, anyways so im a typical teenager who likes to have fun and drink with friends on the weekends, so i spoke to my dietitian & i asked if vodka and lemonade is okay and she said its fine :) so that's what i drink now, my sugars do go a bit high but then they come down :D I've had a jager bomb and my sugars were okay, i expected them to go high but they were fine, i avoid wkd, cider, lager though! a shot of sourz is maybe! I make sure i eat something like a sandwich after i come home or whatever but don't inject before, it reduces the chance of early morning hypo :) seems to work! oh yea just in case its a good idea to let your friends know the signs of hypo