curve ball?

red

I wonder if anyone could help me shed some light on my Bg readings today which (to me) seemed very bizzare. I have been low carb for about 2-3 months lost one and half stone, and got readings down from early 20's to 7-10 with diet and exercise. Here's the thing today although I intended to go lower carb than the 80 I have been doing to try to break through the 4-7. Unfortunately been a bit stressed lately so today I comfort eat a lot more than I have been eating: have been having about 1800 cals a day and about 80 carbs a day ( and readings of between 7-10 bg during day)
today I had 7.30am bg 9.3 (usually starts at 8ish bg)
ate breakfast at 8am
8.27am 10.2 bg
at 10.30 (fell off wagon and had a quarter pounder with cheese from a van
11.55am BG level 5.7!!!! lowest in 3 months (did it again to check it)
then I had 2 peices of cod rod in batter from a chip shop about an hours later and
my BG an hour after eating this was 5.8 bg (again this is the lowest ive ever had)!!
Then about 2 hrs later i had a fried egg and bacon sandwich from a cafe and an hour after eating this my bg was an amazing (for me) 5.8!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I also had a friend round for dinner and right now at 9.45pm my bg is about 9 which is not unusual for me for this time in the evening. My question is this today I have eaten the most, and the most unnhealthiest I have for the past 3 months and have had the best blood glucose readings I have ever had, can any one shed any light on this for me. out of tiredness and also from feeling worn down by continuously trying so hard to get the bg down with diet (being a comfort eater it is very hard) and I am trying to perhaps learn something?? from today??? at first i thought meter wrong, or fluke but checked a lot all day and clearly had my best bg ever. does anyone understand this. would be very grateful if anyone has any ideas. thanks

e

increasingly cynical

Hi,

I don't understand it, but I get a similar sort of scenario and it would be intersting to knwo how many other people experience this... are you on any medication? I am currently not taking any meds and have 'LADA' (adult type I but with some insulin production basically..) .. my theory for the weirdo readings is that when I take on more carbs/sugar than normal I somehow 'kick start' my pancreas and it chucks out what insulin it can.. not something it can probably do very often or for very much longer..

:?

dipsticky

Dislikes
Hypocrites and two faced people.
Sounds great to me, I'm with deadwood on this. Just off to the local cafe for bacon rolls.

D.

red

Hi
Im not sure if dave and dipsticky were joking with their replies? but thanks anyway I hope I havent encouraged anyone to throw caution to wind, although Im very new to this I am sure that this is not a good idea, in fact today to follow up on yesterdays post, its all gone a a bit wrong for me. I could never have continued eating high fat and very often even with good bg readings as I have quiet a bit of weight to loose, but today has pretty much underlined this fact, after yesterday's little out of control binge, I feel absolutely pants, bloated and very tired, I also have had readings of beteen 9bg and 14bg!!!! which is worrying and worst of all I have all the cravings to eat and eat and eat that I had before I started to low carb. I can only think that the post from increasingly cynical as above was along the right lines (thanks for that) so its all gone pear shaped very quickely. back to square one!!!!!!!!!! is it best to just not eat until my bg drops, or revert back to healthy eating 3 times a day? any advice welcome

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi red.

Well, that was a bit of a let down, wasn't it ? :D

If my Bg happens to go high I tend to just drink plenty of fluids and skip a meal until it all gets back to normal numbers. Then it's back to the old three small meals a day routine. Seems to work OK ?

Ken.