Cycle to work raising sugars

jackvdbuk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Guys,.

I have a libre and have noticed my sugars are rising after a cycle to work (10KM)

I Woke up at 7am - checked and was 5.6, i cycle to work and tested at 8.15 and was 9.9!

this seems to be a constant trend when cycling to work if i wake up at a good level, i eat breakfast at work and try to wait until it lowers but its really frustrating!

any ideas on how to curb the rise in sugar wile cycling in the mornings?

TallGiraffe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Apparently sugars rising from exercise isn't abnormal, the release of adrenaline stimulates the liver to released glucose or cortisol which makes you more resistant to insulin.

manrug13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Do u see a simular pattern in the morning if you dont exercise? This may be worth looking at incase there is a pattern you have at that time. Although as tallgiraffe mentioned, it is common that sugars can rise during exercise especially if you have been fasting beforehand like in the mornings. Maybe increase the basal during the ride and reduce it afterwards.

hynes48

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had a post on this a couple of days back.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/temp-basal-rates.115170/

@Snapsy provided a really helpful repsonse.

I now reduce Temp Basal by 50% for 30mins before cycle. I then do a temp basal of 150% for an hour afterwards. This morning i started at 8.3 and it is now 7.5. The cycling is causing me night time lows which is a work in progress.

Check out the above post. It's working for me although still needs some tweeking.

Best of luck.

Link added.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jackvdbuk

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition
I used to get a 2mmol rise after exercise but 6 or 7 almonds stopped it.

Last edited:

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Before you started cycling did you use to have breakfast at work too? (and didn't notice a rise?)

As mentioned it could just be the exercise causing the rise or it could be your liver doing a sugar dump because you're not eating until later - or a combination of both.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
this seems to be a constant trend when cycling to work if i wake up at a good level, i eat breakfast at work and try to wait until it lowers but its really frustrating!

Try having your breakfast when you wake up to see if it makes a difference @jackvdbuk (with exercising soon after you'll likely have to reduce your bolus dose).

Even without exercising, if I don't eat breakfast soon after waking my bg levels can be in double figures within a couple of hours, by eating breakfast it shuts of the liver dump and makes bg control more manageable.

alhubb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Adrenalin can cause your BG to raise. Maybe, look for trends, if its going up every single time, consider injecting before you start cycling. Henry Slade (Rugby player) injects before a match as his BG rises.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@jackvdbuk I have the same issue. If I'm exercising first thing, before breakfast, I have 0.5u before I exercise, otherwise I climb and climb. I'm on a pump.

If I'm exercising after breakfast, say, at parkrun, I find my breakfast insulin on board is enough to not spike me too high when I'm just getting going. Curveball: I always reduce my basal to 50% for the duration of my run or my bike ride, so as to avoid a hypo, BUT I have to switch it up to 150% for an hour as soon as I stop exercising, otherwise I end up in the teens.

Trial, error and testing. And I'm still working on the maths....

jackvdbuk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thanks all,

Game plan is now to see if it rises when i train to work, i will also try the 7 almonds tip and see if i have similar results or it keeps it stable then go from there! great advice as always

Reactions: Snapsy

psignathus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
NICE guidelines in reference to nutrition
Might be a stupid question but how do the almonds help manage your sugar levels? Sorry for my ignorance!

I'm unsure to be honest however a fair guess would be that it stimulates a small insulin response that drives down the sugar that is elevated by cortisol. cortisol is released during exercise. either way it definitely works for me and many others. By the way it does not necessarily have to be almonds but they are low carb friendly.