Cycling competitively but can't stop hypos

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been getting more and more into cycling - not competitive mind you, but I still go out in full kit and do 25-50km every now and again.

If you have stopped your lantus 'the day of' then perhaps you still have it in your system. Lantus lasts 24hrs. so you have to adjust the day before your go out, which is a pain if you decide you cant cycle..

Beyond that there is nothing you can do but eat more. If you have stopped all insulin the day you cycle, you will have to adjust long acting insulin the day before you cycle (to ensure that 24hrs later its out of your system and where you want it to be) beyond that you just need to keep eating.

Thats the hardest part, taking in enough carbs fast enough. Try gatorade, sugary drinks, have a pre-ride meal thats light but high in carbs about 1-2 hours prior to cycling.

I find that protein (especially peanut butter) keeps my sugars up and stable for 6-8 hours. When i say peanut butter i don't mean the good natural stuff, I mean Kraft Original lol that sugary kind. Gorge on that and in 2 hours your sugars will slowly have climbed to the 10s and stay there for 6-8 hours

Reactions: 2 people

BrianInMidlands

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Andrew,
I can't comment on your specific situation as my cycling is over a shorter distance (at the moment a maximum of 15 miles before lunch) also I am T1 on Glargine/Novorapid.
I don't adjust insulin for the ride as I'm never 100% sure that I will get out (due to work/weather etc) buut will carb load with a peanut butter sandwich (1 slice of bread) plus 2 or 3 biscuits. That is usually enough to see me through the ride and end up with 5mmol at the end of it.
Have you tried the sports gels which have a mixture of fast and slow carbs? Can't recommend any personally but that might be the problem ?

Cheers, Brian

andrewkerr91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Brian, yes similar to me I can't always bank on being out on the bike. Yes been looking into the gels, only thing putting me off is the price. Thanks for the advice mate.

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
TeamBG are going to be doing a ride around Box Hill on the 18th July (@Brightside has just posted it up). Well worth coming along if you want to chat with others about BG management with cycling (there will be some of the Diabetes Grand Tour folk there who have loads of experience with managing BGs with exercise)
@andrewkerr91 I can bring some Torq gels along for the ride if you want to try some out.
For anyone who wants a bit of a challenge, why not join TeamBG on one of it's cycle tours - we generally try to get everyone CGM'd up for the ride which means that you get a much clearer picture of what's going on.:)

andrewkerr91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds really good mate. Where can I find some more details on times etc ? Would love to come along, think it will be great to speak to others in the same position

Brightside

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Andrew we are meeting at Dorking Main Station at 09h30 on the Saturday....two routes the "Bolus Bimble" 30k and the "steel needles" 80k and 1700m climb

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm just checking out whether I have a relative from New Zealand coming that day and if not I will almost certainly be up for that as well. I am hoping to do the steel needles as I know this area quite well. Sounds great. Any ideas on numbers just yet?

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Hi Guys,

I've searched on the forum there is loads of advice etc and I know myself how to control my sugar levels excerise and I manage to do so fine with every other activities apart from cycling.

I can't seem to get the sugar in the quick enough I stop all my insulin all together and eat a good meal before a long ride/ race but then constantly during the cycle I can't seem to keep my sugars levels about 4-5 constantly on the low side and always dipping below that also.

For instance I can go through a pack of jelly babies and 5-6 bottles of still lucozade.

Just wondering if anyone has any issues like this before and could give me some pointers ?

Thanks

Andrew
Hmm,when i was a cyclist, i used to fuel up on spaghetti , which gave me long term slow release energy, not sure if this would spike you or not?

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great, looks like I should be able to make it. I'm assuming it's just a turn up and ride type thing?

Brightside

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm just checking out whether I have a relative from New Zealand coming that day and if not I will almost certainly be up for that as well. I am hoping to do the steel needles as I know this area quite well. Sounds great. Any ideas on numbers just yet?

Hey Auckland Canary....obviously its early days yet, but last year we got about 30 people together...were hoping for a few more....why dont you bring your Kiwi friend along... :)

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Auckland Canary....obviously its early days yet, but last year we got about 30 people together...were hoping for a few more....why dont you bring your Kiwi friend along... :)
That sounds good, my Kiwi friend is my wife's cousin and er...no I won't be bringing him. Jet lagged with no bike or cycling experience and a birthday to celebrate. I think Leith Hill would actually kill him.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I find that protein (especially peanut butter) keeps my sugars up and stable for 6-8 hours. When i say peanut butter i don't mean the good natural stuff, I mean Kraft Original lol that sugary kind. Gorge on that and in 2 hours your sugars will slowly have climbed to the 10s and stay there for 6-8 hours

I don't understand, why on earth would you want your sugars to be in the 10's and for them to stay there for 6-8 hours? If I was at this level I would be so lethargic I wouldn't be able to pedal 10 meters:)

I get by cycling long distances (80 km for me is long) in the mornings, I still suffer from the dawn phenomenon until 11 am ish so never hypo. I take dextrose tablets in event I should , they are pretty quick acting.

Diamattic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't understand, why on earth would you want your sugars to be in the 10's and for them to stay there for 6-8 hours? If I was at this level I would be so lethargic I wouldn't be able to pedal 10 meters:)

I get by cycling long distances (80 km for me is long) in the mornings, I still suffer from the dawn phenomenon until 11 am ish so never hypo. I take dextrose tablets in event I should , they are pretty quick acting.

I never said i WANTED my sugars in the 10s lol Sometimes it just happens by accident. I was using it more as a "this is what can happen" but I am sure if your cycling for hours they wont stay at 10.

andrewkerr91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Eveyone is different for me in the 10s is good. I burn the sugar off so quickly I have to try and keep it a little higher. Any of you guys on Strava ?

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Eveyone is different for me in the 10s is good. I burn the sugar off so quickly I have to try and keep it a little higher. Any of you guys on Strava ?
No I'm not, I tend to try and stay away from Strava as I generally like to be in my own little world when cycling. I'm not really competitive and do it for the enjoyment.

Brightside

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
I am on Strava, and find it great to see what my cycling friends are getting up to....for instance one of the guys I cycled with last year did a 19h50 ride from London to Paris recently....thats 445km which to me is "like wow".... I also love the flyby site....great to see who crossed your route....http://labs.strava.com/flyby/viewer...UfGRBFIyCQRQ0lEEUeD5CFLNEQhS3ZUIUegxGFDOrRhQ=

I am only on the free service....the premium gives added benefits like the "suffer score" etc but I know when I have suffered...:)

andrewkerr91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Brightside your on the same page as me for sure. Yes fly by is a great feature I find. Message me your username if that's okay and I will follow you.

Reactions: 3 people