Cycling on type. 2

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, we are designed like that.
Feast and famine used to be part of everyday life.

I think the big thing is that going without food for a day or two (depending on how your body works) can be no big problem. However it usually takes more than that to become fully fat adapted.

If I understand it correctly you start out by creating and using ketones (going into ketosis) but this is a temporary thing and full fat adaptation can take 2 or 3 weeks.

Emergency measures compared to a lifestyle change.

I think I'll just have to take your word for it, 'cos I still have no idea of the difference, or how a few too many carbs can bring someone straight out, even when fully adapted.

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
Not really. Just reduce carbs and increase fats. It isn't rocket science. I don't count carbs or anything, but have managed to get my 2TD under control by 'seat of the pants' guestimates of what I'm consuming. I've biked 60 miles over the past three days with no lack of energy problem and I'm a septuagenarian with PVD as well as T2D.
Congratulations!!!

blanc71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Before I go out I have 4 Jacobs crackers loaded with peanut butter.Absolute rocket fuel.

Ross.Walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
sprouts, evil things
Hi

Great to hear you want to do long cycles, that's fantastic.

I have tried all sorts of things for endurance sports from a single yogurt thinking I would burn fat, it didn't end well as I finished the race on 3.1mmol/l, I tried eating a jelly bean per 2 miles, bit more old school but works, to a full fry up before setting off, whilst yummy I failed to burn off the extra lard I had added. I can only conclude one thing, it all depends on you and how your body reacts to food, be ready to eat if you get fatigued and pack new foods each time until you find the perfect one for you.

but mostly keep cycling, it is so good at helping to manage your health

Rockman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Nothing to be honest
You can have energy bar before the ride

Roseanne01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
'isms'. Not being able to eat potatoes.
Well, I'm not hot on tables, (unless it's a weighbridge lol) but looking at your tables, the biggest fat number in bacon or eggs is eggs chicken yolk boiled, so I guess that's the fat to go for?
Ignore the bacon, crack on for boiled egg yolks for the ride, you recommend?
Geez. I'm not too sure Low carb high fat should include bacon regularly. It’s highly processed, full of salt and nitrites. Info from my endocrinologist said no, and to focus on healthy fats. Avocados, cheeses like cottage cheese, fish, eggs. I guess it depends how healthy you are otherwise? That said lchf made me very ill. The low carb flu just wouldn’t go away? I appear to be not able to process fat that way, or it’s just my other issues.