1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Cycling on type. 2

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by lt1v14, Feb 25, 2018.

1. lt1v14

lt1v14 Type 2 · Member

Any advice for me when I go on 45 mike bike rides. What should I eat before to give me energy?

• Like Like x 1
  2. jcbman

jcbman I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

What do you eat now?
    If it works, why change it is my motto?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. jcbman

Oh, the answer is going to be fat.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. lt1v14

lt1v14 Type 2 · Member

Tried porridge but feel starving after it and bloods shoot up. Should I care about high bloods if I am exercising? Tried bread and bacon and that was ok but thought I was supposed to avoid carbs?

5. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

It depends whether you are fat adapted, if you are then you can safely eat a high fat meal.

Edited to add.
    By safely I mean that it will provide enough energy for the long haul. If you are not yet fat adapted I'm not sure of how you should prepare.

• Creative Creative x 1
  6. miahara

miahara Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Fats. Cut the bread with your bacon and add eggs.
    This BBC Food Programme (broadcast today) might be worth listening to as Prof Tim Noakes expounds on why he's reversed his views about carbs for energy and has adopted a LCHF diet and gets energy from fats.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09smnhd#play

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. jcbman

So, he used to be a high carb advocate?
    When was that?
    Been lurking on here a while, I never knew that.

Are eggs fat?
    Or do you mean fried?

8. miahara

He was seriously into running and on high carbs, but he changed to LC about 10 years ago and found LCHF made a massive difference. You really should spend 30 minutes listening to the broadcast as it's very interesting.
    As far as eggs go here's the data -
    upload_2018-2-25_20-39-15.png

9. jcbman

Well, no idea now, you said go for fats, and suggested eggs?
    Boiled egg yolks the thing you recommend then?

10. Dexterdobe

Dexterdobe Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I caught part of a really interesting radio 4 item on diets for runners today. A respected doctor who had written acclaimed books on the value of a high carbohydrate diet for long distance runners has now realised he was wrong. He now advocates a low carb, high-fat diet for runners. He has found that 'the wall' that so runners hit is most likely caused by the body running out of energy from carbs and crashing, whereas a high-fat diet sustains the body for far longer. He has been lampooned by many of his medical colleagues for suggesting something so outrageous, but he maintains that there is evidence to support his theory. It seems that a low carb, high-fat diet, eaten over a prolonged period may well be the best preparation for a long run or cycle. But we all knew that already didn't we. Did anyone else hear the who item? I missed some of it.

11. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

This would be Prof. Tim Noakes. I havn't listened to the piece yet but I will later.
    He is a leading expert in Sports Science and has proved the efficacy of LCHF in a court room exonerating it and himself of spurious charges made by the SA Health Authorities. He is one of my heroes.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. miahara

I didn't suggest eggs as fats, you asked if eggs are fats and I've put up the data. Sorry if I confused you. I suggested you cut out the bread from your breakfast as it is high carb and that a suitable replacement might be eggs which are virtually zero carb. You could of course up the amount of bacon or choose bacon with more fat. Here's the data on bacon -
    upload_2018-2-25_20-56-31.png

• Like Like x 1
  13. jcbman

Complicated this diet isn't it?

14. lt1v14

lt1v14 Type 2 · Member

That wasn’t me. But thank you for your advice

15. lindijanice

lindijanice Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hey It1v14, Good for you for taking such a ride! I would add a few slices of avocado to your bacon and eggs. Also if you have a ***** pack or some such "tote", could you put a chunk of cheese and some nuts in it so that if you start feeling the need for something along the way you would be giving yourself something helpful?

I am assuming you drink water on these treks, but would you have room for another bottle that would have some protein shake in it with some coconut oil or nut butter added to it? Maybe you could get one of those hats that hold two cans of beer and you could put your shake on it and sip as you go!!:) Cheers/L

16. miahara

Not really. Just reduce carbs and increase fats. It isn't rocket science. I don't count carbs or anything, but have managed to get my 2TD under control by 'seat of the pants' guestimates of what I'm consuming. I've biked 60 miles over the past three days with no lack of energy problem and I'm a septuagenarian with PVD as well as T2D.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Master

Well done!

18. jcbman

The fat stuff I understand.
    Then you posted some numbers showing eggs?
    So are eggs fat, or not?

19. miahara

The data are in the tables I posted. But as a very rough comparison a poached egg is is about half the fat of streaky bacon. Eggs do have some fat, but just how much fat depends on how they are prepared.

20. jcbman

Well, I'm not hot on tables, (unless it's a weighbridge lol) but looking at your tables, the biggest fat number in bacon or eggs is eggs chicken yolk boiled, so I guess that's the fat to go for?
    Ignore the bacon, crack on for boiled egg yolks for the ride, you recommend?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook