Cycling & pumping, also extreme conditions and doing BMs!

silvarbullet1

Does anyone have any recommended reading on exercise and pumps? E.g. cycling, walking? The last few times I have been out on a bike ride on MDI I have noticed my levels drop rapidly within 15 mins of setting out, so much so that I pretty much need to eat some pure glucose (2 tabs) as soon as I start riding.

As soon as I get under control and the basics done with the pump I want to get out on my bike and see if I can make it work (as well as working out where to leave the pump) so any tips gratefully received!

Also, I like to go walking and camping, and was recently thinking about doing blood tests on the move.
There are a few things I have considered:
1) Stopping to take off a heavy rucksack is not always preferable.
2) Sitting is often not possible (not without very wet bum) and no tables are around.
3) Weather = tricky. Wind & Rain can hinder doing a BM.
4) Carry cases should be designed with such things in mind....

I am wondering what the case for my new Accu-Chek BM device will be like, because I am sort of planning to make my own...
My idea is that to do a blood test quickly, whilst standing, without taking off a rucksack or needing 3 arms, I will need an ingenious new case design. The case would have either a belt attachment or its own strap to fix around you, then it could rotate (like a climbers chalk bag) to be at the back or side whilst walking and move to the front to do a test. The case would open away from you, so that half the case would stay against your torso (attached to the belt) and half would flap down. The flap would need to be semi-stiff and have a sort of stop so that when it reached 90degrees (perpendicular to the ground) it would stop and function as a table and maybe weather protection. At least, if you faced away from the oncoming storm your body would protect the BM setup as it would be tight against you.
The BM device would be strapped in so that it didn't need removing, as would the test strips and everything else. The whole BM could then be done by only:
1) Moving the case to the front of the torso on the belt strap thing.
2) Opening the case.
3) Removing the lancing device.
4) Perform BM.

The other option is to have the BM device on a sort of bungy cord so that if you wanted to remove it, it wouldn't roll off the side of a cliff if you dropped it!
Anyone have any more ideas to add? I love inventing things, so if I make this case I want it to be the best ;)

Cheryl

Re: Cycling & pumping, also extreme conditions and doing BMs

For help on exercise try www.Runsweet.com or www.diabetesnet.com

The former has some useful info, but unfortunately is poorly laid out, so you have to click every link to eventually find the bits that you want.

The latter is a US site, but has a very useful section on exercise; calculating carb use & replacing carbs/reducing insulin intake during exercise. You may need a mmol/l & ml/dl converter to understand some of it, but I've found it quite helpful.

Good luck.

josie38

Hi,

When you have a pump you can reduce the amout of basal by the hour when exercising. This helps with hypos and stuff. It depends which pump you have as to where you can wear it. Some people wear their pumps on the arm. I have a Accu-chek combo which can be worn on a belt strap or round the neck but when you have an idea of what the different pouches look like you may be able to make (or improve) one yourself. The BM for the combo is the same size as an average BM so you could design something yourself.

Happy inventing :D :D :D :D

Josie

DiabetesTom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Probably not much use but i have a similar concept. Its a camera case with 2 Belt loops on the back to hold it without it rotating and non springy/stretchy string to limit door opening. tester sits on the fold out part strapped in with 2 tight stretchy bands. All sewn in. When testing you leave it strapped in stip hangs over side of case and you apply blood from there.

Now in your case...extreme temps
Well take note that operating temp for the combo is 5C–40C.
Waterproof case.
Insulation is a must.
Means of warmth is also possibly helpfull.

jamesstout

without unecessarily self-promoting i've been a professional cyclist for a couple of years on a pump (omnipod) - you can see a lot of what i get up to on www.insulinandembrocation.com - some of it might help and i think you can search for "basal" etc