DAFNE course

Phoebe13

Quick question for everyone that's done a DAFNE course - how long did you have to wait to get on one?

I've been on the waiting list for a year now, and just been sent a letter to say I can do the course in October 2013.

A girl at work was diagnosed 6 weeks ago and is going on DAFNE (at the same hospital) on 22nd April.

How was this worked out?! I'm really cross! Been trying to get my Hba1c down for a while, the latest result was 8.4 but my doctor agrees that until I've done DAFNE it probably won't get much lower.

What were your experiences of waiting times for DAFNE like?

riodad

Dislikes
bigots
Sorry if i am not allowed to post on here but i have been type 2 for 13 years using insulin for last ten years .My blood sugers have been very poorly controled . A week ago i was but on DAFNE carb counting and told how to ajust insulin levels. Its early days yet but for the first time in 13 years i feel incontrol . My bg readings are near perfect , i dont feel tired all the time, and my moods are good . Just hoping to keep improving

sophiebowness1

I have just completed the DAFNE course in last week, before hand my bloods were out of control and i didnt even both sorting them out, now a week later my bloods are all within range i'm eating like a normal 18 year old, i truly believe if anyone is offered to go on the DAFNE course then do it because you meet the most wonderful people with different stories, and the help you to adjust everything, and allow you to control your diabetes than the other way round

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Places seem to be pretty sought after here, in Cambridgeshire.

I'm newly diagnosed type 1 at 39 yo and want to get on a pump ASAP, but there's no way I can get onto a DAFNE course earlier than December at the moment adn that is seen as a requirement for the pump here.

In one way that just gives me an opportunity to do more research about dose adjustments, pumps etc. For me, the carb counting is not that complex as I've always had a good handle on my diet as a competetive runner and cyclist; it's just the specifics of estimation, weighing foods and looking at the doses that's new to me.

Currently going through a lot of trial and error and keeping detailed logs.

SewK8

I did DAFNE a few yrs ago and it took about 6 months to come through at addenbrookes. I was speaking to my DSN today who said the list is now 3 yrs ! But when I spoke to Medtronic about pumps, they said Huntington has approx 2 month wait for pumps so maybe DAFNE is faster too?

Hope you get sorted soon as its really helpful,

Kat

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had a chat to my dietician today, very helpful for lots of things, really helping me with getting the strategy sorted for sports, but she also confirmed that I'm on a DAFNE course in December. Can't wait.

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
regarding DAFNE Course , my diabetic nurse at my G.PS mensioned it on my last visit. can someone tell me more,is that course like being at school,do there quiz you and ask you questions, writen exham ?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
spaceman said:
regarding DAFNE Course , my diabetic nurse at my G.PS mensioned it on my last visit. can someone tell me more,is that course like being at school,do there quiz you and ask you questions, writen exham ?

No there's no written exam :)

The groups for DAFNE are quite small, no more that 8 or 9 people at a time. It's a five day course (mon-fri) and starts around 9am and finishes around 4.30pm, the day starts with discussing everyone's previous day bg readings and the changes they made to insulin doses etc, there's a lot to cram and on the Thursday there's a Q & A session with the Consultant, Dietitian and DSN where you can ask any question you like.

On our last day we all went out for a meal to put our carb counting skills to the test, a very worthwhile course to take as you can see by the posts in this thread.

SimonClifford

It's not the only course out there, but it's pretty good. Tends to get things all structured and ordered for you. Also means that tackling insulin sensitivity & carbohydrate sensitivity can be done on your own as you understand all about them and can tinker to your heart's content. (Must admit I'm coming from an Accu-chek Aviva point of view though).
I can't recommend DAFNE (and similar) courses highly enough - EVERY thinking type-1 should go for it!

Reactions: RoughcutAU

SimonClifford

I've been type 1 since I was 4, 39 years ago. I did DAFNE year before last at QEH, Birmingham. I thought I was a "dab hand" at diabetes on MDI, I learnt ALOT of really useful new stuff. The "rules of thumb" are really handy and it spurred me on to get a pump all the more. (Quite frankly, a pump WITHOUT a DAFNE(like) course would be a waste of time.
2 years later, I've got the pump, HbA1cs now 7 & below. (Yep, you'll EAT testing strips after DAFNE, but the retinopathy has slowed, the kidneys are working better and my weight's down which means the Liver-man is happy too.)
For me, as an "old timer" diabetic DAFNE has done me a great deal of good. {bless ya Manyee! ;}

Reactions: 2 people

courty13

i had the hospital on Friday and they suggested the dafne course for me aswel but I have also been told there is a waiting list and it could be a couple of months before I get on it but ive heard different things about it some people say its good and some say it didn't help them

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I been thinking about it, parents think it's a good idea but I think its a little late now since it's been 2 years. However I still have regular times having high blood sugar, and the higher it's been the more lazy I am to do injections. I don't like the sound of using a pump but the way I am going in comparison to other diabetics, I should have been on pump a year ago, my HBA1c is still at an average of 10%.

SimonClifford

NMR91,
I thought that when I went on a DAFNE course, "yeah, 37 years type 1, there's ****** all they can teach me. I was doing dose-adjustment 20 years ago before anyone thought it was possible"
BUT I must admit, I really did learn some stuff. Mainly working out correction doses accurately & ratios.

However, these things ARE available in books & online discussion, it's kinda handy having 'em all packaged in a week's course. (I'm lazy like that ;-)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Josmall

I'm on my penultimate day of my dafne course and I can't praise it highly enough. I'm 45 and have had diabetes for 3years now. At last I feel I understand it and know how to take control of it. Can't recommend it highly enough.

Reactions: 5 people

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
Hi Phoebe13,
Do all you can to push getting on the program. The recently released NICE guidelines for type 1 diabetics mentioned this course a few times so I'd say the demand will increase.
Cheers
David

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I personally didn't get on with the DAFne regime as it's hard work, too many injections and no improvement on blood sugar results. It caused me alot of depression just being on it when I could have had the same result with using a mixed insulin pen and injecting twice a day. If you can I recommend the insulin pump as it's the best option for any diabetic and I'll be getting one this month from the hospital so very pleased.

Niamh1

Certainly true Natalie and most would say the same thing that they wished they'd been on the course earlier. I personally think anyone newly diagnosed with type 1 should be offered a place within 12 months.

Hi

I am have been diagnosed with type 1 last June and I am going to attend a daphnia course this June. I can't wait as I feel it will help me to deal with my diabetes a lot easier

Reactions: RoughcutAU