DAFNE course

Lucypieee

Dislikes
Diabetes
Browns81 said:
Hi guys,

I just done the Dafne course in August. I was wondering why my BG still rises after only eating meat? Please help

Thanks
Candice

Hi Candice,

It really depends on the time of day and if you use long-acting insulin and what times. When my BG used to rise it tended to be mid-afternoon / early evening and it turns out the Lantus I was using at the time wasn't that effective, so I switched onto 2 injections of Levemir as well as my fast-acting Novarapid.

Your long acting insulin could be at the point of running out at certain times of the day, whilst Lantus should last 24 hours, it's not the case in everyone. Same with Levemir lasting for 16 hours. If you're having no carbs, then it's more likely to be due to any long acting insulin you take.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Browns81 said:
Hi guys,

I just done the Dafne course in August. I was wondering why my BG still rises after only eating meat? Please help

Thanks
Candice

Protein in the absence of carbs converts to glucose by around 60%........hence why the delayed postprandial rise.

I know from my own experience my bg can be fine up to 2-3 hours after eating then I'll see a gradual rise in my bg.

Browns81

Thank you, both for your replies. I have been on two injections of levermir. One at night and one in the morning. I think I do need to check the times I take it cause it maybe running out.

Thanks for your advice much appreciated. :)

jopar

If you have split your levimer into two injections you have 24 hour cover, it's not running out. However you need to check that each injection is the correct amount for the time period..

And the only way of seeing if your background is correct is by fasting testing..

peter2007

I was diagnosed as LADA today by my doctor and she mentioned the DAFNE course. From what i have read it sounds well worth attending so thanks for feedback which will help me make a decision. :)

Roberto

Hoping to get on the course soon...Hoping it helps me understand carbs a bit better

Trying to get in touch with them is proving difficult though. Phone keeps ringing out! :x

I've been type 1 for 20 years and am also a health professional and really didn't think I'd learn much more doing the week Dafne course. When I did it a year ago I was amazed how helpful it was and at the end of the week felt more in control than ever. Going back to work the week after and it wasn't quite so easy as when the diabetes was the only thing I had to think about all day, but at least I had all the skills I needed to give it my best. Have since trialled a pod pump and realised that Dafne will work much more consistently with that, as I think my absorption of penned insulin is now a bit inconsistent.

josielou

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My husband went on the DAFNE course, and we didnt find it helpful really. We didn't agree with some of the things they were saying, and when we asked for information, they refused to answer us fully. They told us that he was going to perfectly safe to dry with a BS of 4!! I told them that if i knew that he was 4 and going to drive, i would hide his keys!! They told me i was over reacting and that he was perfectly fine to do this!!! They didnt belive he had woken up naturely with a BS lower than 1 as well!! I have been with my husband for nearly 10 years, and we have been through many ups and downs with his diabetes and I know by looking at him what is safe and not. The course does make you think, but i would just say keep an open mind.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
josielou said:
My husband went on the DAFNE course, and we didnt find it helpful really. We didn't agree with some of the things they were saying, and when we asked for information, they refused to answer us fully. They told us that he was going to perfectly safe to dry with a BS of 4!! I told them that if i knew that he was 4 and going to drive, i would hide his keys!! They told me i was over reacting and that he was perfectly fine to do this!!! They didnt belive he had woken up naturely with a BS lower than 1 as well!! I have been with my husband for nearly 10 years, and we have been through many ups and downs with his diabetes and I know by looking at him what is safe and not. The course does make you think, but i would just say keep an open mind.

Could you elaborate on this as i thought 4 was okay?
Ive had a 4.7 and felt okay

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
from DIABINFfrom DVLA
http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/medical/aag/ ... ABINF.ashx
• In each case if your blood glucose is 5.0mmol/l or less, take a snack. If lt is less than 4.0mmol/l or you feel hypoglycaemic, do not drive.
so at 4.x you may be "OK", but not to drive!
as a former insulin user but now on (low carb) diet & exercise I find that my BG sits at 4.8-4.3 , (sometimes dipping to 3.9 and liver dumping back up) but in the driving seat I try to stay @ 5.5+, always above 5.1 :thumbup:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As Fergus says bg should be 5 or above, even around 5mmol I would still eat a snack if it was within a few hours of my previous injection, always better to be safe than sorry as it's not only our own lives we are putting at risk.

MCMLXXIII

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well thankyou for that useful info!

Sent from my KFTT using DCUK Forum mobile app

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
josielou said:
Josielou,
sounds like those DAFNE (mis)educators are a danger to public safety.
I know that I'm a bit of a stirrer but if it were me, I would be formally complaining about those educators to the PCT (who paid for it) and DAFNE (whose name is being brought into ill repute) http://www.dafne.uk.com/contact-I456.html

Snodger

FergusCrawford said:
sounds like those DAFNE (mis)educators are a danger to public safety.
I know that I'm a bit of a stirrer but if it were me, I would be formally complaining about those educators to the PCT (who paid for it) and DAFNE (whose name is being brought into ill repute) http://www.dafne.uk.com/contact-I456.html
Agreed. It is not part of DAFNE to be saying that 4 is ok to drive, or to be doubting people's experiences as you describe. Definitely tell DAFNE uk about it.

superdom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being told I can't have this and that
Is DAFNE the same as ICE (Insulin Carbohydrate Excellence)?

Snodger

ICE stands for Insulin Carbohydrate Education as far as I know - ? If you mean that one, it's run along similar principles to DAFNE with the same core behaviours/principles being taught.
There are over 80 different courses like this for T1 in various local areas. DAFNE is the only national/international one, and it's the one that's had the most studies done on it. It's also audited for consistency/quality - only DAFNE and BERTIE are externally audited in this way. But ICE has been studied and shown to meet NICE criteria and deliver the same core principles.

superdom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thanks for clearing that up Snodger.
I thought I was going to have to go on another course

Snodger

Did you go on ICE? Did you like it? It's meant to be a bit more flexible than DAFNE in terms of fitting with people's lifestyles. (which is probably a good thing) - wondered what you thought of it.

superdom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Snodger said:
Did you go on ICE? Did you like it? It's meant to be a bit more flexible than DAFNE in terms of fitting with people's lifestyles. (which is probably a good thing) - wondered what you thought of it.

I went on it 2 years ago.
Did 4 consecutive Thursday mornings at my local diabetes centre.
I attended having been invited by a random letter. Am under the care of the nurse at my GP and hadn't visited my diabestes centre for about 10 years.
I got a lot out of it. I had understood what carb counting was, etc. but the intricacies leaned on the course was useful.
I have to admit I have forgotten a lot of what I leaned.
There were 15 of us on the course. All range of ages. I would say 12 of the 15 (not including me) were at the course in preparation to go on the insulin pump