DAFNE Graduates

Paperbooy

Hey guys I wanted to start a post for DAFNE course grads
I went in the course in April 2017 and it works for me like a dream. It's hard work to be focused but gets easier as time goes on as you get to know the amounts of carbs you consume and the units to take. It would be nice to have some discussion about what helps, works and what best practices are. I was diagnosed in 2012 and was initially misdiagnosed as a type 2 on Glixlazide and after a 18 months when that stopped working was told I'm type 1.

Reactions: Dearbhla

xxgeorgiexx

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey guys I wanted to start a post for DAFNE course grads
I went in the course in April 2017 and it works for me like a dream. It's hard work to be focused but gets easier as time goes on as you get to know the amounts of carbs you consume and the units to take. It would be nice to have some discussion about what helps, works and what best practices are. I was diagnosed in 2012 and was initially misdiagnosed as a type 2 on Glixlazide and after a 18 months when that stopped working was told I'm type 1.

Hi

I went on one just last November and can honestly say it has helped me immensely but one of the best things i took from it was actually meeting other type 1’s as until then i hadnt spoken to another sole who had this. Am the same as you, originally diagnosed in oct 2018 with type 2 but rediagnosed with type 1.5 (lada) in july 2018 but after reading other lada’s stories, i was diagnosed relatively quickly

Reactions: Dearbhla

Dearbhla

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Paperboy and xxgeorgiexx, I've done a dafne course as a type 1. It saved my sanity! Still find it hard to get a nice balance for more than a few days...
When I need to do 'control days' I tend to eat weighed breakfast cereal and weighed fruit.
Been on Tuojeo, a background insulin, doesn't work for me, going to try Levemir.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I did it back in 2008 and still apply it to my diabetes, even though I eat very few carbs I still have to count them accurately and dose for them!

I did a course 2013 after having a stillbirth due to diabetic complications and not a lot of knowledge of all the risks involved with being type 1 and pregnant the course worked wonders I really learnt a lot and now have a happy health two year old

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I'm enrolled on one in August, so thanks for posting your experiences. I will get to meet other type 1's as I haven't met anyone else with this diagnosis in person. I'm not sure what could possibly take up the time - 5 days from 9 until 5, but am keeping an open mind.

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
I did it back in 2008 and still apply it to my diabetes, even though I eat very few carbs I still have to count them accurately and dose for them!
Hi Mel, As you're low carb, do you insulin dose for protein as well? I imagine this won't be covered on the course.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm enrolled on one in August, so thanks for posting your experiences. I will get to meet other type 1's as I haven't met anyone else with this diagnosis in person. I'm not sure what could possibly take up the time - 5 days from 9 until 5, but am keeping an open mind.

Most people signing up think that. You will be surprised. For me it passed by all too quickly. There is so much more to it than carb counting.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi Mel, As you're low carb, do you insulin dose for protein as well? I imagine this won't be covered on the course.
I do, at half the carbs dose. For example, for dinner my doses are 1u:10g carb and 1u:20g protein, but I spread the protein dose over 2-4 hours, depending on what the protein source is. I have to insulinate for white fish and shellfish like prawns etc, but not oily fish like salmon or mackerel. I don’t dose for eggs or plant protein (except pea protein powder) - I don’t eat other animal protein due to allergies, but people seem to need different ratio for different animals, and sometimes even different cuts. That’s a case of experimentation, I’m afraid!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The time does fly by. It’s very structured but also very easy going and relaxed. Coffee breaks and dinner breaks are par for the course:). We organised a meal out on day 4 to practice our new found skills.
Diabetes is 24/7 so it means the 9 to 5 is only a small amount of time in the grand scheme of things.;)