Bluemarine Josephine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning my beautiful friends, I hope that you are all exceptionally well!
Please, could you remind me the DAFNE rules regarding pasta, rice and pulses/legumes because I cannot remember.

Do we weight them cooked or uncooked in order to estimate our Novorapid?

I asked a couple of type 1 friends with whom we attended the DAFNE course together but, I am getting mixed information… One said to weight pasta and rice cooked but pulses/legumes uncooked. The other said to weight everything dry as after cooking they contain lot of water which will add to the weight and will put my Novorapid too high.

Regarding packages, some give the carbohydrate content basis dry product whereas other packages give the carbohydrate content basis 100 grams of cooked product. (But, finding the carbs content, cooked or dry isn't a problem for me as I have the carbs&cals app or can google it... my problem is which of the two should I consider...)

So, what do I do?

Thank you very much in advance.
Regards
Josephine

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Bluemarine Josephine It depends what your carb amount app/book/list says. I weigh pasta uncooked, pulses uncooked, potatoes uncooked, and measure rice by cooked tablespoons, but as long as you know the correct carb amounts for cooked/raw, you can do whatever you want.

Edited to add that I personally think weighing raw/uncooked is best for things like potatoes as I've found it gives better results.

Reactions: becca59

Bluemarine Josephine

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It depends what your carb amount app/book/list says. I weigh pasta uncooked, pulses uncooked, potatoes uncooked, and measure rice by cooked tablespoons, but as long as you know the correct carb amounts for cooked/raw, you can do whatever you want.

Hello and thank you for your answer. So, it doesn't really matter if it is cooked or dry, regardless if it is cooked or dry I just have to match the carbs content with my Novo ratio. Is my understanding correct?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello and thank you for your answer. So, it doesn't really matter if it is cooked or dry, regardless if it is cooked or dry I just have to match the carbs content with my Novo ratio. Is my understanding correct?

Yes, the important thing is to ensure you have the right carb amount. So double check the carb counter/packet info you're using coincides with your preference of cooked or dry weight, then use the carb amount with your ratio.

Experience will show you which foods work best with cooked or raw weight, and which method is easiest in your daily life.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For convenience I would generally weigh the pasta before it was cooked, as a lot of my pasta dishes would have all the other stuff thrown in as I cooked them, so it was impossible to weigh accurately just the cooked pasta when I'd finished.

But my calculation would have been 50g uncooked pasta @ 74g CHO per 100g = 37g CHO.
If I were just serving out some cooked spaghetti with nothing on it my calculation would be 150g cooked spaghetti @ 22g per 100g = 33g CHO.

As long as you're aware of the two different figures representing the CHO by weight of both cooked and uncooked versions of the same foods, it should make no difference.

But it does of course depend on how long you cook the pasta for, so it might be worth you calculating how much 100g pasta cooked the way YOU cook it weighs after cooking, and work out its CHO value per 100g on that basis. Al dente weighs less than soggy!

;)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@azure re potatoes I think you're right with the raw vs cooked thing - that's been the case in my experience, too.

And very often of course we do only have access to what we're eating when it's already cooked!

Reactions: azure

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Re your pasta comments above @Snapsy thats what I did originally :) I weighed my pasta uncooked, then weighed that same pasta after it had been cooked. That allows me to be flexible as I know what cooked weight of pasta represents my chosen raw weight. It also means I can cook a load of pasta for the family and just weigh out my cooked portion as I know the carbs.