DANG dairy

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been completely enjoying my melted Brie with butter roasted pecans but I’m all achy. Over did cheese yesterday. Brie, cheese omelet and a Colby jack stick. I want my dairy!!

Anyone else get achy with dairy? Sometimes it’s worth it but not today.

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Achey and sneezy are my reactions
Interestingly Ive been avoiding dairy for a couple of months and noticed my finger prick BS’s were much flatter once I stopped dairy. Ive been using a libre over the past few weeks and can see patterns more easily - when I reintroduced yogurt for a few days my hips started to ache, my sugars became more variable and my nose more sneezy until I cut it out again. Shame I really do miss thick Greek yogurt and cheese :-( still at least butter seems to be ok

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Achey and sneezy are my reactions
Interestingly Ive been avoiding dairy for a couple of months and noticed my finger prick BS’s were much flatter once I stopped dairy. Ive been using a libre over the past few weeks and can see patterns more easily - when I reintroduced yogurt for a few days my hips started to ache, my sugars became more variable and my nose more sneezy until I cut it out again. Shame I really do miss thick Greek yogurt and cheese :-( still at least butter seems to be ok
Interesting. I do ok with butter and ghee as well. I drink ghee in broth in the morning and afternoon. I use butter where I need it. Yes, cheese is very insulinognoec and it does seem to raise me a bit and keep me higher. I only usually eat it in small amounts but went a little gang buster yesterday. Still achy. I can’t ever do HWC or soft cheese like cottage. Stomach rumble.

Can I ask what dairy you were eating and how much?

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to eat cheese ( mainly goat cheese) - maybe 1 ball a week, milk in tea ( mainly lacto free) usuually 1 carton a fortnight I experimented with cream in coffee but never took to. Id get through 1 large pot of Greek yogurt a week and 1 250g block of butter every couple of weeks.
Before I was diagnosed lactose intolerant 35 years or so ago, I virtually lived on cheese and milk

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @Boo1979
I just remembered I had some nightshades in red pepper sauce last two nights. Nightshades make me achy too. Guess I’ll ditch both for now. I know my bg is better without cheese anyway. But melted Brie is so yummy !