Dangerous advice??

peppiB

ally5555 said:
tbh - I was thinking about this in work and why was the podaitrist talking to you about diet?

I dont advice on cutting toe nails - all part of the problem of other HCP thinking they are multiple experts! I dont even think they cover diet during their degree but will find out!

We were talking about about developments in my neuropathy - I was told to expect more pain as my BS levels fell. I told him they were falling nicely thanks to my following a low carb diet. This is when I thought he was going to explode and he started firmly lecturing me on how as a diabetic I should be on a high carb diet, all the 'professional' advice was for me to follow high carbs and that information gained from the internet telling me otherwise was dangerous.

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
peppiB said:
ally5555 said:
tbh - I was thinking about this in work and why was the podaitrist talking to you about diet?

I dont advice on cutting toe nails - all part of the problem of other HCP thinking they are multiple experts! I dont even think they cover diet during their degree but will find out!

We were talking about about developments in my neuropathy - I was told to expect more pain as my BS levels fell. I told him they were falling nicely thanks to my following a low carb diet. This is when I thought he was going to explode and he started firmly lecturing me on how as a diabetic I should be on a high carb diet, all the 'professional' advice was for me to follow high carbs and that information gained from the internet telling me otherwise was dangerous.
Well I reckon that's just plain wrong, I wonder which reality he trained in?! I've never been given the high carb lecture, and my Dad (ex-GP) actively reduced the family intake of carbs when I was first diagnosed. Just shows you though, some of the muppets who are still out there!

Chanah

peppiB said:

Actually, you may have more pain initially - at least if what I've read of other people's experience with neuropathy is correct. What appears to happen is that as the nerves begin to heal because they aren't being assaulted with glucose all the time, you get back more sensation, and the early sensation is likely to be pain. But it's a sign your feet are able to feel again, and it does go away. Jenny Ruhl has an article about it over at her Blood Sugar 101 or Low Carb site - can't remember which, but it shouldn't be too difficult to find.