Dapagliflozin or Sitagliptin?

Dipti86

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum / new to diabetes, was recently informed by my GP that my h1abc level is 51, so not too high but over the pre-diabetes threshold.

I have been given two options to help reduce my blood glucose levels: Dapagliflozin or Sitagliptin... but I am not familiar with either of these, and am worried about short term and long term side effects. Any help or advice that can be offered please?

Thank you. Wishing you all well.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I'd try changing what you eat before embarking on any medication.
Many of us have managed to reverse our T2 by dietary changes alone.. this has often been accompanied by weight loss and recovery from multiple previous health conditions.
With your fairly low HbA1c (mine was 87 on diagnosis) you stand a great chance of putting it into remission drug free.

Cut your carbohydrate consumption to a minimum and eat lots of single ingredient fresh cooked meals based around meat, fish , above ground veg, eggs and dairy.

Dipti86

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
what you eat before embarking on any medication.
Many of us have managed to reverse our T2 by dietary changes alone.. this has often been accompanied by weight los

Thank you for your response bulkbiker.

I have been cutting back on carbs, switched to drinking green tea in the mornings and have limited my intake of sugary drinks to 2 a month, but I am a vegetarian and I am fairly an active person, so cutting back on the above has resulted in me losing weight (more than I should). I went from 52kg to 48kg, which then started to cause hormonal imbalance related issues for me, as I became underweight. So I had to start eating more carbs again to regulate my hormones (which I have now thankfully) and feel stuck because I don't know what step to take next to lower the HbA1c reading.

I took steroids over 10 years ago to manage ulcerative colitis, so I may have steroid-induced-diabetes (side effect from the steroids), which is hard to treat with food, as the steroids may be the main cause of diabetes for me rather than diet or exercise (I currently weigh 52kg). So perhaps medicine for a short period of time is my only answer?