Dario Smart Meter

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So my Dario arrived today and I must say it's possibly the best thing to date wrt my diabetes management.

Compact, easy to use and a well thought-out smartphone app. I'm hoping this will help me eventually get my HbA1c close to the non diabetic range.

The images on the website are non flatering as to the size of the meter. It's actually tiny. Thanks @tim2000s for the info on this product :)

£14.95 with lancets and x50 test strips, it's well worth a try!

For those who haven't heard about this meter, here is a link to the maker's site; and also a seller in the UK:

http://mydario.co.uk/smart-meter/

http://www.advancedtherapeuticsuk.com/dario-smart-glucose-meter

All the best,
Grant

r4_c9.png

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I saw someone talk about this just after I had bought another brand. Would have got the Dario if I had seen it first!

Let us know how you go?

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I saw someone talk about this just after I had bought another brand. Would have got the Dario if I had seen it first!

Let us know how you go?
I'll be sure to keep you posted.

Which meter did you buy?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll be sure to keep you posted.

Which meter did you buy?

The SD Codefree - price was everything. Just started testing as a T2, so was testing EVERYTHING and getting through 100s of strips - and paying for them, lol. No need for that as much now :) I have most foods mapped out.

Last edited by a moderator:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It looks quite compact compared to the Accu-Chek Mobile which is also an all-in-one bg meter, looks really smart too Grant :)

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah the strips are typically the stumbling block.

x50 strips for the Dario are a bit more than your ones but still £9.95 which is a good bit cheaper than most.

All the best,
Grant

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I got the Accu-chek free and although a cool meter; I found it pretty large and heavy.

I was asked to trial the Accu-Chek Mobile by one of their reps when it first came on the market, I also found it to be too large and cumbersome and it ended up in the bottom of my drawer, sure they have updated the model but not tried it since.

Keep us updated on your progress with the Dario :)

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello guys,

Dario has turned out to be an absolute game changer for me. As such, I've attached a photo of how little I have to carry in my pocket now :) Pictures seem to do the Dario no justice, but considering it's next to my Novonordisk pen; it'll give you an idea of just how compact it is. Slightly larger than a disposable cigarette lighter!

One question to you all though... I had a hypo today that resulted in a rebound high of 12.9mmol/L on my Glucomen LX+ meter, but only 9.6mmol/L on the Dario. As much as I appreciate results are different across ALL meters, this is too noticeable a difference... Most importantly, enough of a difference to give another hypo from an incorrect correction dose.

It's my understanding that the Dario is CE marked and this complies with the meter regulations wrt variances on BGL values. But what would your views be on accuracy? Basically, which one is right? It's a shame I can't find out EXACTLY what my BGL is so I can decide which reading to take as Gospel.

All the best team!
Grant

20160523_174144.jpg

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That picture really brings it home how neat and convenient it is.

Either of those readings could be right, and the other wrong - or it could be somewhere in the middle, and the meters were nudging their +/- 15%

I appreciate that isn't at all helpful to you, but without rigorous comparison testing, you will never know... and even then, any meter is going to throw out a rogue reading once in a while. Sorry, can't give you anything more concrete.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That picture really brings it home how neat and convenient it is.

Either of those readings could be right, and the other wrong - or it could be somewhere in the middle, and the meters were nudging their +/- 15%

I appreciate that isn't at all helpful to you, but without rigorous comparison testing, you will never know... and even then, any meter is going to throw out a rogue reading once in a while. Sorry, can't give you anything more concrete.
Thanks for your response! I guess I'll just commit my faith to the dario as it's more convenient and the Glucomen LX Plus also has its innate margin error.

I'd recommend this to everyone! £14.95 including x50 test strips. The best thing on the market to date imo!

Regards,
Grant

Scottishgal991

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Been using the Dario meter for about two weeks. Can't hype up this meter enough. Very small and compact and personally I find to be very accurate. When I first got the meter I tested it a number of times against all my other metres ( 2 accu checks and a glucomen LX) and was pretty much the same result across all metres.
Getting the gp to swap prescriptions to this meter was hastle free as the strips cost the same as the accu check ones.

One thing I will say is make sure you check with the diabetes team at your hospital to check they can work with the meter.
I was told just to prrint off the results ( emailed to myself in a PDF file).

Any questions about this meter, I would be happy to answer.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
X
Been using the Dario meter for about two weeks. Can't hype up this meter enough. Very small and compact and personally I find to be very accurate. When I first got the meter I tested it a number of times against all my other metres ( 2 accu checks and a glucomen LX) and was pretty much the same result across all metres.
Getting the gp to swap prescriptions to this meter was hastle free as the strips cost the same as the accu check ones.

One thing I will say is make sure you check with the diabetes team at your hospital to check they can work with the meter.
I was told just to prrint off the results ( emailed to myself in a PDF file).

Any questions about this meter, I would be happy to answer.

Couldn't agree more! The ability to print off/email the Diabetic team a .pdf file saves having to fill in one of them wee diaries! Something I just don't have time for in between injections and BGL testing!

For the strips prescription, what is the process? Do I just book an appointment with my GP and give him the empty box or is there a code or the like?

Cheers,
Grant

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just looked at the website. Is it right that you have to turn the headphones volume to full to do a test?
I just turned every volume down and did a test no problem.

Oh and you now owe me one test strip haha!

Grant

Scottishgal991

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
No don't have to turn headphones up. Pip code for strips is: 390-0602
Pip code for lancets: 390-0594.

I just made appt with gp and asked to switch. They cost the same as accu check strips so gp didn't mind switching them

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No don't have to turn headphones up. Pip code for strips is: 390-0602
Pip code for lancets: 390-0594.

I just made appt with gp and asked to switch. They cost the same as accu check strips so gp didn't mind switching them

Thank you very much for that information! I'm using Glucomen LX sensor test strips and I think they're fairly pricey so shouldn't be an issue, hopefully :)

Griffter15

I ended up ordering this and I've been using it for a couple of days now.

I have to say on the whole I think it's a top product. Really well designed. I haven't decided if I will continue to use it. I love how easy it is to carry around, but it's a bit fiddly and therefore a bit less discreet. I'm quite used to testing whilst on the go, walking somewhere and I can't imagine being able to do this.

If they could make the test strips a little easier to dispense it would help a great deal.

The app is great but also frustrating. I can't find a way to turn off notifications and there is no logic behind when it reminds you to do a check.

I also think it would be useful to be able to pick your own targets. The headline screen shows a % of tests within range. Since I've been using it my average b.g. is 6.9 which I'm happy with but only 45% in target is kind of disheartening.

I'm probably not picking here. Overall it's a genuinely brilliantly designed product