Dark chocolate query

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
@Scandichic how are you feeling now?
Very dizzy. Work colleague turned up to collect kids bike at 7:00. We hadn't eaten. Thought would wait till gone. Huge mistake ad felt like wanting to fall off sofa. Left at 9:20 bs in low 4s. Ate meal (salmon avocado olives and feta) took an hour to get to mid 4s. Ate 2 fondant choccies as full of sugar. Now 5.5. Banging headache and teaching all day so still haven't had results. Feel like total numpty.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
19 minutes later 9.1. Going to drink water.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very dizzy. Work colleague turned up to collect kids bike at 7:00. We hadn't eaten. Thought would wait till gone. Huge mistake ad felt like wanting to fall off sofa. Left at 9:20 bs in low 4s. Ate meal (salmon avocado olives and feta) took an hour to get to mid 4s. Ate 2 fondant choccies as full of sugar. Now 5.5. Banging headache and teaching all day so still haven't had results. Feel like total numpty.

Scandi - you seem to be having a bit of a rough time of it at the moment. Are you saying here, you had a hypo at low 4s? I'm not challenging in any way, just trying to clarify my understanding.

I appreciate the circumstances in which you found yourself in the other day; they sort of creep up on us, but maybe sensible to work out a gentle safety net strategy for yourself which could prevent the need for the bouncing bomb effect of fondant chocolates or the like?

Some time ago I got really caught out by a circumstantial meal-missing incident and felt a bit rough. At the time I couldn't test, so have no idea what number I might have scored, but I felt rough. Having been there once, I'd rather avoid it in future, thanks! From then on, I have a bit of a strategy for dealing with the odd low feeling (which for me is low 3s). I have a cup of tea with milk, which just seems to support my levels/takes off the hunger, if that's what I'm really feeling, or whatever. If I needed to deal with it in a big rush, I might just have a small amount of milk; say quarter or half a cup, which could be quite discreet.

I hope you're feeling better by now.

Reactions: 2 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Scandi - you seem to be having a bit of a rough time of it at the moment. Are you saying here, you had a hypo at low 4s? I'm not challenging in any way, just trying to clarify my understanding.

I appreciate the circumstances in which you found yourself in the other day; they sort of creep up on us, but maybe sensible to work out a gentle safety net strategy for yourself which could prevent the need for the bouncing bomb effect of fondant chocolates or the like?

Some time ago I got really caught out by a circumstantial meal-missing incident and felt a bit rough. At the time I couldn't test, so have no idea what number I might have scored, but I felt rough. Having been there once, I'd rather avoid it in future, thanks! From then on, I have a bit of a strategy for dealing with the odd low feeling (which for me is low 3s). I have a cup of tea with milk, which just seems to support my levels/takes off the hunger, if that's what I'm really feeling, or whatever. If I needed to deal with it in a big rush, I might just have a small amount of milk; say quarter or half a cup, which could be quite discreet.

I hope you're feeling better by now.
It felt like a hypo but wasn't as was above 4 and the definition is anything below 4. My norm is 5.5 - 6.0 , 6-6.8 fasting and 7.5 absolute max after a meal. If I go to 8 or above I feel rubbish. Was worried that it might turn I to hypo so ate choc fondant. Next time. I will just eat but as she was collecting a bike I thought she'd be gone by 8. I don't think she intended staying later. Like the tea idea but don't drink milk. Sometimes feel dizzy if not enough liquid. Pee test came back fine so no idea what's been going on with bs. Have been quite stressed. Thank you for your kind wordsxxx

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It felt like a hypo but wasn't as was above 4 and the definition is anything below 4. My norm is 5.5 - 6.0 , 6-6.8 fasting and 7.5 absolute max after a meal. If I go to 8 or above I feel rubbish. Was worried that it might turn I to hypo so ate choc fondant. Next time. I will just eat but as she was collecting a bike I thought she'd be gone by 8. I don't think she intended staying later. Like the tea idea but don't drink milk. Sometimes feel dizzy if not enough liquid. Pee test came back fine so no idea what's been going on with bs. Have been quite stressed. Thank you for your kind wordsxxx
The milk suggestion was just a readily accessible source of a modest number of carbs, that could be consumed in moments (sort of popping out the the kitchen moments). I'm sure there would be many other options. I know I would hate that roller coaster of going very high, from a low point.

I do understand it's not always possible to eat, as planned, or to govern how long unexpected delays might last.

Edit: @Scandichic - just to add, you may have had a mild hypo, the your liver dump pulled you above the threshold, without the feel-good factors?

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The milk suggestion was just a readily accessible source of a modest number of carbs, that could be consumed in moments (sort of popping out the the kitchen moments). I'm sure there would be many other options. I know I would hate that roller coaster of going very high, from a low point.

I do understand it's not always possible to eat, as planned, or to govern how long unexpected delays might last.

Edit: @Scandichic - just to add, you may have had a mild hypo, the your liver dump pulled you above the threshold, without the feel-good factors?
I'm always interested in what you post. Are you scientific by any chance? I'm hopeless - when I get stuck I either come on here or ask one of the science department at school!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm always interested in what you post. Are you scientific by any chance? I'm hopeless - when I get stuck I either come on here or ask one of the science department at school!

Waaaaaaaaay back, a long time ago, I was in a scientific/medical field, and largely where my qualifications are based.

These days, I just about manage to keep myself out of too much mischief. :)

Edit: take out a bit of superfluous info, that could have been interpreted as showing off. :oops:

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Kat100

Stay well scandichic
When I go low I really know about it .....and grab what what ever I think will work at the time to get better...because it is scary ....
Not so bad now, but I did go through a strange time when my numbers were dropping ( I am not a regular tester anymore)
At 3,and 4 I was awful ....
My average hba1c is now 5.7 or 39 ..which has been a big drop for me ....
I have kept going lower for the past year .....I think trying to stay stable is not so easy, just keep on with the balancing act ....
Hope you feel,so much better soon .....take care ....Kat x

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry if I am stating the obvious Scandichic, and I do hope you are starting to feel better now, but would it be so dreadful for you to have explained to the work colleague that you needed to eat? Perhaps develop a strategy whereby you put your needs first as far as timing your meals. Your health is important, and no matter how 'bad mannered' it may have seemed to tell the colleague to scram, surely that would be preferable to having her deal with you slumping in a heap at her/his feet.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Waaaaaaaaay back, a long time ago, I was in a scientific/medical field, and largely where my qualifications are based. Latterly, I have headed up divisions in large companies, including financial services companies. Most recently, I managed a shed load of IT guys. Although not an IT person myself, I found a way of doing that pretty successfully.

These days, I just about manage to keep myself out of too much mischief. :)
Wow! Even more impressive. I am just a humble languages teacher!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sorry if I am stating the obvious Scandichic, and I do hope you are starting to feel better now, but would it be so dreadful for you to have explained to the work colleague that you needed to eat? Perhaps develop a strategy whereby you put your needs first as far as timing your meals. Your health is important, and no matter how 'bad mannered' it may have seemed to tell the colleague to scram, surely that would be preferable to having her deal with you slumping in a heap at her/his feet.
I just thought she'd go before she did and she didn't! Then it was getting a bit late! Next time I'll be speaking up!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Stay well scandichic
When I go low I really know about it .....and grab what what ever I think will work at the time to get better...because it is scary ....
Not so bad now, but I did go through a strange time when my numbers were dropping ( I am not a regular tester anymore)
At 3,and 4 I was awful ....
My average hba1c is now 5.7 or 39 ..which has been a big drop for me ....
I have kept going lower for the past year .....I think trying to stay stable is not so easy, just keep on with the balancing act ....
Hope you feel,so much better soon .....take care ....Kat x
Good to hear from you! Weird that had 4 days of high bs at fasting! Just eaten small bowl of home made raspberry ice cream. Yum!

Reactions: 4 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just thought she'd go before she did and she didn't! Then it was getting a bit late! Next time I'll be speaking up!
You have to. I used to leave it ages between meals if something distracted me. It often did when I was taking sick relatives to appointments at hospital, that were delayed, so my food would be hours late. It made my BGs go absolutely haywire, and I felt so ill. You can't look after other people if you don't look after yourself first.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good to hear from you! Weird that had 4 days of high bs at fasting! Just eaten small bowl of home made raspberry ice cream. Yum!
Yay for the ice cream. What is it about this time of night? Last night I was craving cheese! Think I'll just have a drink of milk and go to sleep.

K

Kat100

That raspberry ice cream sounds like to was meant for me..... :)
This db is a mystery puzzle, keep on feeling better :)
Take care love Kat x

K

Kat100

You have to. I used to leave it ages between meals if something distracted me. It often did when I was taking sick relatives to appointments at hospital, that were delayed, so my food would be hours late. It made my BGs go absolutely haywire, and I felt so ill. You can't look after other people if you don't look after yourself first.
Yes I agree here Pipp.need my meals and often the odd snack ....need to keep that better balance , especially as numbers are now lower x

visayas79

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Treats. I get my dark chocolate from Tesco, their own Dominican mint 85% is only 3 grams for 2 squares. Weight watchers berry fruit layered fromage frais is only 5.2 grams. If you feel guilty go for a 30 minute - 60 minute walk first or after.

I also eat almonds when I need a snack ( meant to be good for you) also drink too much coffee but cant be good all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Concorde

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Proper chocolate on its own doesn't contain that much sugar. That's why its not recommended for hypos.

Tigerkitty1950

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The ones

I enjoy are
Lindt
Green and blacks
Moser Roth (Aldis)
And tescos own
There are others, but I am a creature of chocolate habit ;)

Apparently the only dark chocolate worth eating according to some experts is a Tesco brand of dark chocolate, they did a lab test on all the others and none had any beneficial effect on the heart except this one

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apparently the only dark chocolate worth eating according to some experts is a Tesco brand of dark chocolate, they did a lab test on all the others and none had any beneficial effect on the heart except this one

Interesting... Thanks.