Dark chocolate query

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Just a quick question.....
At 10.45 I ate 2 squares of 70% chocolate. Before eating it was 6.6
30 mins later: 5.5
1 hour later 6.5
Why?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
variation of reading within the error rate of your strips and meter or just a crook strip?
if you get one that's out of what's expected, try again.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
1 hour 30 it's 5.6!
Don't want to stay up till 12:45!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
variation of reading within the error rate of your strips and meter or just a crook strip?
if you get one that's out of what's expected, try again.
Didn't think of that. Makes sense as now 5.6 after 1 hour 30 mins! Just had high fasting bs (for me) of between 7-8.1 for past 4 days. Wanted to know if choccie. Usually have 2squares of Lindt size squares per day. Hypod twice on Tuesday then ill but out of strips Wednesday and went to docs. Locum so got meter and strips for free hurrah! He made me do pee test - thought could have infection (slight intermittent pain in kidneys. Felt very dizzy. Bs like a yoyo. Supposed to ring for results on Friday but manic day at work then locked self out of house and didn't get in till hubbie came home at 6:45.

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't see a problem with you going to bed..it could be just the bodies natural insulin adjustment being a bit course and not as fine as required for a small amount of carbs

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you really shouldn't be throwing hypos. there are a host of other reasons besides diabetes why you can hypo...see your dr and ask..if it's not from diabetes what can it be from and look for any symptoms to something else

Anie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Didn't think of that. Makes sense as now 5.6 after 1 hour 30 mins! Just had high fasting bs (for me) of between 7-8.1 for past 4 days. Wanted to know if choccie. Usually have 2squares of Lindt size squares per day. Hypod twice on Tuesday then ill but out of strips Wednesday and went to docs. Locum so got meter and strips for free hurrah! He made me do pee test - thought could have infection (slight intermittent pain in kidneys. Felt very dizzy. Bs like a yoyo. Supposed to ring for results on Friday but manic day at work then locked self out of house and didn't get in till hubbie came home at 6:45.
I've had an infection this week, didn't get antibiotics until Friday and was told to test at least 4 times a day and if it went over 20 to ring the out of hours service for advice. Thank goodness they gave me a meter a couple of months ago. My bg has bee anywhere between 17 and 8.7! Since I seem to be improving I'm hoping my bags get better.

Just shows what infections can do !

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
you really shouldn't be throwing hypos. there are a host of other reasons besides diabetes why you can hypo...see your dr and ask..if it's not from diabetes what can it be from and look for any symptoms to something else
That was why I went to the docs on Wednesday and I managed to get a meter. He thinks I might have pee infection. Not convinced as pee very pale. Had heard weather and stress can impact. Will be ringing for results today. Weird that then high fasting bloods for 4 days after hypos. I thought I might need to give up last met tablet but who knows. Bs back to normal for me range at 6.7 this morning. Hurrah!

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Had 2 colds in about 5 weeks and a sore throat all the way through. Bloods fine start monthlies 2 days ago bs through my roof 6s and a couple of 7s and to top it off just back from my hba1c and full bloods for yearly check. At least l have printed proofs of all my bloods so will be in a way a false high from last couple of days :(

See dr in 2 weeks to explain why l want B12 checked ***...hello on metformin remember!!!
They refused to add it into the 20ml l just had done so another blood trip on the 25th for blood...pig ignorant dr's lot l shall be kicking off big style. They cause their own problems lab time for extra test and 2x extra trips one to demand b12 and 1x results,..... spare me they are so busy they make their own problems.

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find that a couple of squares of the dark chocolate does'nt move my numbers at all, and I've checked lots of times. It's hard to understand though.

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dark chocolate doesn't contain much sugar. Whole 100g bar about 30g so two squares about 5g. There is lots of fat too so it slows down the carbohydrates release. I would expect some rise after
2-3h but not much anyway

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What brands of dark chocolate are we talking about - i suspect you don't mean Cadbury's Bourneville?

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Lidl do an 81 % which is very good and not as expensive as other types Pioneers watch pennies;)
CAROL

K

Kat100

Hi scandichic , hope you feel,much better very soon , look after yourself ......best wishes ....Kat x

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What brands of dark chocolate are we talking about - i suspect you don't mean Cadbury's Bourneville?

I mean real dark chocolate, 70% or over

bonus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Asda were doing 3 for 1pound on a small dark 80%. Cant remember name sorry

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The ones
I enjoy are
Lindt
Green and blacks
Moser Roth (Aldis)
And tescos own
There are others, but I am a creature of chocolate habit ;)