Dark urine

James1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
For the past couple of days I have noticed that my urine has become a lot darker.
I do drink plenty of water to the point that I am up through the night to the loo

Is this normal?

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope so because mines the same. Bowel movements less frequent too. I just put it down to diet change and didn't think to ask.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
kidney stones and gall stones can cause the urine to become darker like almost brown... it is important to see a dctor

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I put it down to the fact that I'm not urinating anywhere near as much now I have tighter BG control. About 5 times a day instead of hourly at least.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I put it down to the fact that I'm not urinating anywhere near as much now I have tighter BG control. About 5 times a day instead of hourly at least.
That does not make any difference. Whether you're urinating less or more, the overall colour does not change due to the frequency that you get rid of it, moreover it changes colour depending on its concentration or other external factors

The colour of urine is not determined by how much you pee, but by how concentrated it is. If it's too dark, you're dehydrated or have another issue entirely.

Reactions: Freema

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That does not make any difference. Whether you're urinating less or more, the overall colour does not change due to the frequency that you get rid of it, moreover it changes colour depending on its concentration or other external factors

The colour of urine is not determined by how much you pee, but by how concentrated it is. If it's too dark, you're dehydrated or have another issue entirely.
Can't say I'd disagree. It's not so dark that it is causing me concern though. It's just not as light as when I was going 20 times a day. Back then it was mostly clear, now it's yellow, sometimes lighter and sometimes darker. If I've taken solgar vm75 it can be green for a few hours or pink if I've been drinking beetroot.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Can't say I'd disagree. It's not so dark that it is causing me concern though. It's just not as light as when I was going 20 times a day. Back then it was mostly clear, now it's yellow, sometimes lighter and sometimes darker. If I've taken solgar vm75 it can be green for a few hours or pink if I've been drinking beetroot.
If you were going 20 odd times a day then your urine would probably be clearer, but that we had kindly be due to you taking on more fluids as a result of poor BG control symptoms, rather than emptying your bladder more than normal.

There's nothing wrong with slightly yellow pee, but dark is another issue entirely.

Yeah green pee, I get that from B12 in my multivitamins I think - was very "worrying" at first:)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Blue pee was very disconcerting when I had some dye injected. It lasted a few days. Thank goodness I was warned about it first!

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Statins give orange like urine. Check with side affects.
Dehydration is most common reason but not only reason.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I am mid way through my second course of cyanocobalamin (Oral vit B12) and cant say that I noticed any change of colour in my urine, just saying.

S

Shar67

High triglyceride levels in liver can darken urine, having diabetes can cause fatty deposits in liver which in turn raises triglyceride levels.
Drink plenty of water avoid saturated fats, limit alcohol but most importantly get checked by GP