Daughter complaining of leg pain

SophieOrman

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
My daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes a month ago she is 2years old. Before this she would wake screaming of leg pain which we took her to the doctors for but was never picked up as it being related to diabetes. Now she is on insulin but she still wakes screaming in pain about her legs, sometimes she will refuse to walk because of it. Does anyone else have this? I asked the diabetes team and they said it could be related to high blood sugar but does it stop? Do I need to keep mentioning it? Sorry this is all very new to me and a complete shock! Just trying my best to crack on with it! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Does anyone else have this?
Hi, @SophieOrman Welcome to the Forum, I'm afraid I am not quite the same age as your daughter, but I have, over the last 10 or so years, had very painful feet, as a result of high blood pressure. I have found that if I miss my BP tablets, it comes, but goes shortly after restarting them again, and as a result, my memory for taking them has improved significantly!
For me, the aching is extremely rare now, so I am inclined to say it is certainly feasible in what they are saying, and that it is not necessarily something she is doomed to have to endure indefinitely. Hope this helps, Paul

SophieOrman

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey @paulliljeros thanks for the reply! That's really good to know that it can be controlled and I bet it is a good reminder for your medication! I'll mention it when I next go back in and see if they recommend some tablets or to see how it goes thank you, Sophie

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @SophieOrman

I know nothing about kids. But diabetes related? High blood sugars? I can feel it in the legs.. Not a pain as such. Just heavy like I'd run a marathon or cycled hard??
The waking in pain? Could be "cramps" I suppose? I went through a phase where I was waking every other night with leg cramp. (Though the air was more blue.) it took a while to rub & stretch the offending leg out... Diabetes related? I'm not sure.. I was doing some physical lifting work & on my feet for most of the day..!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
When my daughter was young she used to get extreme pains in her legs especially at night some times it would be necessary for us to rub her legs for most of the night to try and ease the pain. It was put down at the time as growing pains and the like she has suffered this most of her life. A while back she was diagnosed with Joint Hypermobility Syndrome and the consultant said that she would have had it since early child hood. She is not diabetic. It is possible that these awful pains your daughter is suffering are connected to her diabetes but there are other possible causes that may be involved.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Joint-hypermobility/Pages/Symptoms.aspx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had bad pains in my legs as a young child (age 4) They were diagnosed as 'growing pains'. This was before I got diabetes. So don't assume it's related. It may just be a coincidence.

I would push to get it checked out though, if only for your own peace of mind.