Daughter diagnosed 3 weeks ago Type 1 diabetes.

Tina.Phil

Hi All 3 weeks ago my daughter was diagnosed withn type 1 diabetes. Aislin is 8 years old, and seems to be coping with it :) She is also doing her own injections, which she has 4 times a day. Aislin has been back at school for just over a week now, and has had two hypo's at school, which they handled very well and it was good that we had a care plan in place. It was a very scary time when she was diagnosed. And I don't know how we missed all the signs! I felt very bad at the time and still do, even know I know it not my fault that Aislin is now a diabetic. We are all slowly getting use to it all. We have our first meeting tomorrow with the doctors, since Aislin was diagnosed.
Tina

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hello tina and phil , also Aislin too.
A warm welcome to us all here.
You must not feel guilty about missing the signs etc... Its common to be a diabetic and never even know.
It does take time for things to settle and then slot into place gradually establishing an everyday routine for Aislin and yourselves.
Its a complex condition also, so much to learn and understand, it can and does leave you feeling a bit overwhelmed .
Since Aislin was diagnosed 3 weeks ago, you have travelled far with her doing her own injections whilst at school. [you must be so proud of her]
Yes care plans must always be in place and staff and pupils awareness is fantastic .
As its all new to you all, might I suggest we also do have a youth thread for the younger members and their parents. This will be a great place to vist and you will get support,ideas,advice from the other childrens parents too. Even Aislin could pop her own post on if she would like to.
Write any questions down you may have before vists to the HCP's as they do see this as proactive and usually respond positively to this.
We are here not just for diabetics but their families too, as you all share the same journey.
Any help, suppport, suggestions just ask, there is always someone who will come along to help you all.
Anna.x :D

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Tina.Phil said:
Hi All 3 weeks ago my daughter was diagnosed withn type 1 diabetes. Aislin is 8 years old, and seems to be coping with it :) She is also doing her own injections, which she has 4 times a day. Aislin has been back at school for just over a week now, and has had two hypo's at school, which they handled very well and it was good that we had a care plan in place. It was a very scary time when she was diagnosed. And I don't know how we missed all the signs! I felt very bad at the time and still do, even know I know it not my fault that Aislin is now a diabetic. We are all slowly getting use to it all. We have our first meeting tomorrow with the doctors, since Aislin was diagnosed.
Tina

Hi,

Aislin sounds like a very brave little but big girl, doing her own injections after 3 weeks at eight years old! bless her heart!

Don't feel bad, so many parents feel the exact same way, diabetes sort of creeps up on you! i thought i had the flu for 3 weeks before i was diagnosed! what matters is that she's been diagnosed and getting excellent support at home and school.

Excellent that she is back at school and the school have been great with a care plan and handling hypo's. Nowadays its common to have at least one child with diabetes so schools are usually quite good.

Hope your appointment goes well. Always good if you note down any questions you would like to ask the DR. Too easy to forget when your in there! also encourage Aislin to ask her own questions, especially as she is being so pro-active in her own diabetes care already!

I also think Aislin is a beaufitul name :)

all the best!

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
I still remember that time of diagnosis very well. As time goes by you build up a huge amount of knowledge to get through many situations.

It doesn't change the outcome even if you do see the signs. My son was really thirsty one day and seemed ill even though he was eating, drinking, didn't have a fever. I actually said to my sister on the phone that "he better not have diabetes". 30 hours later we were in a plane going to the Paediatric Intensive Care Unit.