Dawn phenomenon and gluconeogenesis

garyb888

Does anyone know what happens when the liver is depleted of glycogen (or is very low on glycogen) and the dawn phenomenon kicks in during sleep? Does gluconeogenesis start converting fat to glucose to increase BG levels? In other words, does your body start shedding fat to feed the dawn phenomenon? Or does the dawn phenomenon become less active? Or does this vary from person to person?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
As far as I'm aware, dawn phenomenon is a natural part of your liver's function to prepare you for the day ahead.
Glucogenesis is your body's reaction to low glucose levels, due to many reasons such as exercise. It triggers glucagon if your brain is low on the glucose necessary for good brain function. This is of course, if the body is healthy and has not got a hormonal imbalance.
And of course it is individual to each one of us!

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone know what happens when the liver is depleted of glycogen (or is very low on glycogen) and the dawn phenomenon kicks in during sleep? Does gluconeogenesis start converting fat to glucose to increase BG levels? In other words, does your body start shedding fat to feed the dawn phenomenon? Or does the dawn phenomenon become less active? Or does this vary from person to person?
I don't know the answer, but my guess would be that the liver's glycogen store is kept fully charged whenever possible, by gluconeogenesis, if no glucose is available. There would be plenty of time for this to happen overnight, so there would be glycogen available for the dawn phenomenon.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
As far as I'm aware, dawn phenomenon is a natural part of your liver's function to prepare you for the day ahead.
Glucogenesis is your body's reaction to low glucose levels, due to many reasons such as exercise. It triggers glucagon if your brain is low on the glucose necessary for good brain function. This is of course, if the body is healthy and has not got a hormonal imbalance.
And of course it is individual to each one of us!

It is my understanding that glucagon is an insulin agonist. Low bg triggers gng which in turn triggers an insulin response. Glucagon then clears the insulin once the glucose has been 'shunted' into the cells/tissues.
Dawn phenomenon is just another name for liver dump and is no different except that it happens around the time of waking.

Reactions: Shas3 and Lamont D

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The liver can become depleted due to extended exertion which causes liver dump, not necesssarily at dawn, Once depleted then any further demand for energy must be met by other means, which is when (a) ketone adaption takes place so that the muscles and the nervous system become adapted to burning the basic acetyl compounds that go to direclty power the cells, such as CoA.

The body is adapted to survive this condition but it must raid other stores in the body. Firstly it takes the stored lipids held in the adipose tissue and rips them apart for the basic acetyls, and can normally do this for some time since these are the long term energy stores. But if demand continues then bgl gets very low and the brain gets foggy (hypo). In order to keep the essential services running, the body starts to shut down the peripheral muscle activity, in order to prioritize the glucose for the brain and vital organs. This is when gluconeogenesis begins, but it is an inefficient process and slow to supply new glucose from fats. It also scavenges proteins from other parts of the body such as muscle tissue. Now this is an extreme condition since the fat stores are normally kept fairly full with glucose and lipids. So we are talking true starvation conditions here where the body burns the books in the library to keep warm. This is why hypos are dangerous since coma can follow as the body shuts down,

One thing our body does well is run on fat instead of glucose, which is where the keto diet comes in and this allows us to survive for a while without food, It is also why the LCHF diet recommends a higher than normal fat intake so as to provide plenty of lipids to use up instead of scavenging muscle tissue. Its like having a dual fuel burner or a hybrid car,

So yes in answer to your question we do burn fat if there is low glucose and mother hubbards cupboard is bare. But gluconeogenesis is not a major player.