1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Dawn rise phenomenon

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Eveytoz, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Eveytoz

Eveytoz · Member

Hi I have recently had my second child, being a type one diabetic had very tight control during pregnancy but since have struggled to get under control and suffering now from dawn rise phenomenon so I can go to bed on 8/9 and wake up 20+ anyone have any advice?

2. kitedoc

kitedoc Type 1 · Well-Known Member

HI @Eveytoz, Have you discussed things with your DSN and/or doctor re diet, insulin doses etc??
    And could stress be playing a part?
    And have you looked up DP on Home page , typing Dawn Phenomenon in the question box, right upper screen ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Juicyj

Juicyj Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi @Eveytoz

How are you monitoring your BG levels ? So do you have a Libre and can see what time your levels start to rise ?

The reason I ask is that there are a few other things that would affect our waking bg level other than the DP.

4. Eveytoz

Eveytoz · Member

Yes have spoken to my doctor have an app in couple of weeks but I’m mean time I have lots of highs which I have never ever had in 25 years!
    I use the libre so yes I can see when it starts to rise, nurse has suggested an insulin pump which I wasn’t keen in wondered if anyone had had any experience with it or whether it would change I had baby four weeks ago now.

5. mytype1.life

mytype1.life Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I’ve found my insulin pump really helpful in responding to those patterns, i.e if I’m climbing at 3am I can increase my basal rate 1-2 hours before the climb starts to help combat it.

6. Eveytoz

Eveytoz · Member

Really? I know it might be the best solution does it interfere with clothing/sports activities?
    Is dawn rise a permanent thing or
    Can it go?

7. mytype1.life

mytype1.life Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I think it comes and goes based on hormones. The pump I use, Omnipod, is really discreet. I always used to wear it on my stomach and nobody has ever noticed it. I was able to carry on with all sports/exercise as normal. Mine is now on my arm due to my bump being in the way! Omnipod is one the right below, Libre sensor and Miao Miao transmitter on the left. 4DFA01EC-C36B-4854-B33F-72BD78A365A7.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook