Day 1 on low carb no sugar - amazing results!

swttbsy5

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
You are so lucky to have taken such a health-wise decision. Yet, I think you need to proceed gradually to allow your body time to re-adapt to the diet change. Depending on your diet (carnivore, vegetarian, Keto or LCHF) you need to be alert on your electrolyte balance, sufficient amount of vitamins, protein, dietary fiber, and fats. We have all gone through a process of trial and error, so you'll need to experiment with your menus to see what works well for you; our bodies react differently to macro-nutrients. Good luck.
Yeah what I am worried about is - can I actually be healthy long term on this extremely low carb diet? And how do I find out how to do the diet in a safe healthy way if no dieticians can help me? At the moment I'm just eating a lot of meat, cheese, nuts, low carb veggies, yoghurt, eggs...

Reactions: NéjiSaïdi

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't know about gluten. Not sure if I'm eating any or not at this point.
I thought that. Then I actually looked into it, and found that gluten hides in plain sight, a lot of the time.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yeah what I am worried about is - can I actually be healthy long term on this extremely low carb diet? And how do I find out how to do the diet in a safe healthy way if no dieticians can help me? At the moment I'm just eating a lot of meat, cheese, nuts, low carb veggies, yoghurt, eggs...

Yes, very low carb can be extremely healthy - especially when you realise that you are dropping all the nutrient-poor starchy foods and replacing them with nutrient-dense low carb foods.

It is, of course, possible to make ANY way of eating unhealthy if people try hard enough, but so long as we focus on real food (not processed), then meat, fish, eggs, dairy, and low carb fruit (in v small quantities such as a few berries) and low carb veg is likely to me more nutritious than any standard carb filled way of eating.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes! I can eat plain Greek yogurt with a few raspberries or blackberries with no change to BGL but if I eat 1 single strawberry there's a spike and then a crash. Also the reaction in the morning is different to later in the day. Strangely I am extremely sensitive in the morning to any carbs. Later in the day I can tolerate yoghurt with a few berries or a handful of cashews just fine but in the morning that same combination will produce a spike. A single egg with 1 piece of full fat cheese and 1/4 avocado in the morning and there's no issue. I'm slowly figuring it out. I can't have any milk. Although a small glass of milk does seem a good treatment for a hypo. Much better than jelly beans anyway!
Also, the cycle of spikes and crashes seems to build up slowly. The first spike after a few days of stability does not produce a massive crash but then it seems to set up a process where the lows creep down lower and lower until I eventually start to feel really bad. I also get symptoms sometimes when the BGL isn't even very low. When it hovers around 4.7 - 4.9 I'm fine but lower down towards 4.2 I'm starting to feel bad. In the morning it easily will go down to 3.1 and that's when the symptoms are really bad. When I did a glucose tolerance test it went down to 2.1, then I walked home. That was the worst hypo ever. Usually a morning hypo is much worse than later in the day but a morning hypo sets up a day of cycling up and down and feeling terrible.

You have to use the experience of what this period of trial and error shows you. The awareness of what is actually happening, to remember and recording the day to day results, will in time give you a healthy (for you) way forward.
Having a milk intolerance does not surprise me, I have been lactose intolerant all my life, cheese and butter have an almost immediate effect on the contents of my stomach, but low carb Greek yoghurt, I can stomach a small bowl with a bit of fruit usually berries, but I can eat fruit in small pieces through my day as long as I don't go mad. The surprise for me was spuds, my reaction to them because of the amount of starch in them is my worst, I can go from pre meal of 4 (ish) to anywhere up to high teens within half an hour from a medium sized baked spuds!

NéjiSaïdi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Fake knowledge
Mine is not expert opinion, but I am drawing from my personal experience and thousands of googling and YouTubing. All I can say is that as long as you are eating healthy food and in the right amounts, there is no need to worry. However, regular tests could provide valuable feedback on your health status: metabolic and inflammation markers. I am on a TMAD (2 meals a day) and really considering OMAD (1 meal a day). The experience is thrilling, just waiting for my check-up, due in a couple of weeks, to see tangible results in numbers.

swttbsy5

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm almost one month into the keto diet. My blood glucose levels have stabilised. I feel good. I'm enjoying eating this way. At first I wasn't low carb enough but through experimentation I'm realising that if I keep the net carbs under 30, I feel much better generally. Cashews cause a mild spike. Almonds are fine. I pretty much just eat cheese, eggs, meat, fish low carb veggies fried, baked and raw. I think I'm healthier than I've ever been. Increasing fat means I can go a lot longer without eating. Increasing carbs means I get hungry.

Reactions: Redshank

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm almost one month into the keto diet. My blood glucose levels have stabilised. I feel good. I'm enjoying eating this way. At first I wasn't low carb enough but through experimentation I'm realising that if I keep the net carbs under 30, I feel much better generally. Cashews cause a mild spike. Almonds are fine. I pretty much just eat cheese, eggs, meat, fish low carb veggies fried, baked and raw. I think I'm healthier than I've ever been. Increasing fat means I can go a lot longer without eating. Increasing carbs means I get hungry.
Wow! That is great!
It's really eye opening how your health improves just because of a choice of the right foods for you!
I now only eat, because I have to!
Don't forget there is no need to feast continually like we have been programmed to do.
You don't need much food at all! Just enough to live and be healthy!
Happy days!

Keep safe