Day 2 and struggling. Help!

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I've failed to low carb several times now but this time I planned for days, shopped well and identified my danger points. The problem is that I forgot this weird one: I lose the will to eat! I look at all my options and can't be bothered. Some make me feel sick even thinking of them (especially cheese or eggs). And it's not really that I crave carbs as I'm surrounded by them because my daughter lives with me and eats normally. Does anyone know why I feel like this and what I could do?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there anything you love, really love, on your list of ok foods?

Me, I love smoked salmon. So that on scrambled eggs, or blended with horseradish and double cream... My mouth is watering at the thought.

What are your luxurious low carb temptations?

You MUST have some.

Reactions: 2 people

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Sadly even chocolate has lost it's appeal! I've just whipped up some instant icecream but left some as it felt oily. But I thought perhaps I needed to eat in order to feel like eating if you know what I mean.

Weird but it has made me feel all hot now! Or is that a hot flush?! ;)

I'll muse on what I might really like. I usually love Smoked salmon too but I think it might seem slimy. There is a pattern here.... I do't want fatty foods. Not great when on a LCHF diet!

Maybe salad would be nice?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not great on lots of fat either, so although I reduced my carbs to around 100g a day, I couldn't sustain the full cream, mega cheese fest. In the end, when I was hungry or plain old just needed to eat more, I added nuts (which I only just tolerate), as a simple way of dosing in some calories. I also slightly upped my protein, although it metabolises to some sugar, so is cautionary, and with a larger plate full, I could take a little more fat.

It's all trial and error, and perhaps switching from your "old" diet to LCHF could be moderated a little, or even done in stages, to give your system a change to adjust to the different things it's having to digest.

What sort of carb levels were you eating before, and what are you targeting now?

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've spent a lifetime not eating full fat products( combination of upbringing and tastebuds) so even though I am low carbing, I haven't really gone over to the cream with everything brigade. What I have been enjoying though is a salad with a homemade proper olive oil dressing rather than those low cal toxic dressings served with some protein such as tuna or ham and a boiled egg. If the thought of everything is making you feel urgh, several smaller meals a day , even just a handful of nuts as Andbreathe suggests might help to tempt you back to food. I've found not craving food a positive about LCHF diet.

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I don't know about before. Lots and lots I'd say. Now I'm aiming for 50g max. I thought I might risk gaining weight if I didn't go low enough.

BTW my daughter just suggested I get the oily feeling out of my mouth by "chewing up some bread and then spitting it out". I'd like her do the same with chocolate!

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I've spent a lifetime not eating full fat products( combination of upbringing and tastebuds) so even though I am low carbing, I haven't really gone over to the cream with everything brigade. What I have been enjoying though is a salad with a homemade proper olive oil dressing rather than those low cal toxic dressings served with some protein such as tuna or ham and a boiled egg. If the thought of everything is making you feel urgh, several smaller meals a day , even just a handful of nuts as Andbreathe suggests might help to tempt you back to food. I've found not craving food a positive about LCHF diet.
I think the nuts idea might be worth a try. I too have led a fairly low fat life. For me cream is great as a treat but horrible as a regular thing = awful in coffee.

Reactions: 4 people

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type

Are you an Alice Cooper fan?

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My appetite is definitely reduced, but I see that as a bonus. However it took me a couple of weeks of low carbing, I didn't hit that problem on day 2. I suppose low appetite is not really a problem unless you then end up eating some carbs later when you get hungry.

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Update - I'm back on track. Really good olive oil is the fat for me!

Another question though; my morning BG was 6.5 but shot up to about 10.5 about two hours after breakfast. I only had 10 g carb at breakfast - greek yoghurt and nuts. Shouldn't the BG have been lower?

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
What about plain natural yoghurt and berries for brekkie, tapas for lunch and fish or steak or chicken with salad or green veggies. Have nuts as snacks. I have a couple of squares of dark choccie every night and a glass of wine twice a week. If you check out Scandis recipes, there are some recipes which might appeal. Here's a choc orange pud
50g butter, melted in the microwave
3tbsp ground almonds
1 1/5 tbsp sweetner
1/4 tsp vanilla
Pinch of salt
1 egg
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 baking powder
2 squares 70% dark flavoured with orange chocolate
Or
1 square 90% chocolate, chopped
2 tbsp pecans

Melt the butter in a bowl, add remaining ingredients and divide into 2 mugs and nuke for 1 minute per mug.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah.

Well what you really need for breakfast is BACON!!!

No?

Actually, yoghurt has a tendency to spike my BG quite high. Very disappointing. I have to stick to ridiculously small portions. I do better with cream. :rolleyes:
I seem to do better with protein breakfasts.

Good news about the olive oil

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find a protein breakfast better both for BS and staving off hunger. Poached egg, tomato and mushrooms. Bacon. Gluten free high meat content sausages. Quorn sausages. Kippers if you like them.

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I shall try them all. I had poached eggs ans spinach on monday and my BG was fine so protein is probably the way to go. I did think later this evening that my morning double espresso probably doesn't help. I think i should move from the continental lifestyle to good old English - cooked breakfast and tea!

Thanks for all the advice. It really helps.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find it fascinating the way coffee seems to spike some people's BG but has no effect on other people's. I wonder if anybody has ever done a study on it? I'd love to know why - wonder if it's a genetic thing?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try the yogurt without the coffee. Try just coffee only, it spikes some
Some can't have carb for breakfast, just with lunch and dinner

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I tried it but forgot to check after! Tomorrow I'll get it right....

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find it fascinating the way coffee seems to spike some people's BG but has no effect on other people's. I wonder if anybody has ever done a study on it? I'd love to know why - wonder if it's a genetic thing?

Have a read of this.
http://www.bulletproofexec.com/one-ugly-mug-the-science-behind-just-one-mold-toxin-in-your-coffee/
According to it most of the problems people have with coffee is due to the way coffee is dried/processed.

Basically, all the big commercial coffee suppliers have mould growing on the coffee beans which then gets incorporated into the finished coffee mouldy toxins and all. And it is these toxins that cause people's problems, not the coffee itself.

Mr Bulletproof suggests buying from small high quality single estate suppliers instead, where the quantities are small enough that mould isn't a factor.

While I don't know if this is the case (never wandered through a coffee warehouse and seen the mouldy bits), I have always had a shaky reaction to most coffee, caff or decaf, both give me the same reaction. So I bought some really posh coffee (Grumpy Mule) and made some bulletproof coffee and waited with bated breath... No problem. No jitters, no shakes, no hollow spacey feeling, no food cravings, loss of concentration or hunger.

Brill I thought. And now I enjoy it regularly.

The only downside is that it will still keep me awake if I drink it after midday. But that is a small price to pay! :happy: