DD 2 week keto diet challenge - 1st week results & review

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
right I've finished the first week of the challenge and thought I would post my results and a review - it may get long so here goes lol :)

First of all I dropped my gliclizide completely from day one and only took my metformin and ramipril - I did fasting tests, before and 2 hours after meals and before bed.

Highest fasting test was early in the week at 6.2 all the rest were between 5.5 and 5.3 except one at 4.9!! Never had that! :)

All my before meals were between 5.2 - 5.5 - all my 2hr after eating were between 5.3 and 6 - bed times were all between 5.2 and 5.7

My conclusion from this is that I have a fairly smooth curve without big peaks :)

Weight loss 6lb HURRAY! :)

The diet: I enjoyed it on the most part and didn't miss the things I was eating with moderate low carb 70g per day - e.g. Lower carb bread, a small amount of new pots etc. However I always ate a lot of above ground veg and I found it lacking in this and missed it - also got a bit bunged up and as I have diverticular disease I had to take a laxative. I also found it a bit to "eggy" and too many salads (6 in a row for lunch and dinner) this made me a tiny bit nauseous, which has always been the case. I didn't feel hungry but still needed to eat all the meals. I didn't eat anything between 5pm - 6 am - which is New for me as I always had a low carb snack at 9pm

Now for week 2 which has a lot less salad and egg and a lot more veg - really looking forward to it, I will still continue to test intensively as from past experience on >20g carb I tried to drop the gliclizide before and after a month my blood began to rise again to unacceptable levels - hopefully this won't be the case this time :)

Thank you if you have read all this - and I hope it didn't bore you :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Very good to hear how you have got on.
And delighted to hear it went so well (egg and salad notwithstanding!).

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
6lb weight loss - well done! That's BRILLIANT.

They must have changed the menu because when we did it - @Brunneria @maglil55 and me - the biggest issue was the HUGE amount of cabbage... and eggs... and rather a lot of cream. :wacky:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

They must have changed the menu because when we did it - @Brunneria @maglil55 and me - the biggest issue was the HUGE amount of cabbage... and eggs... and rather a lot of cream. :wacky:
There's a lot of cabbage this week, and I'm a day behind so my Sunday is today - which is the Asian crack slaw - just pre prepped the cabbage and I agree it looks soooo much lol - have also made a 6 egg frittata for my next 3 brekkies as dont do well with scrambled egg on its own :yuck: - I looked at the one you did yesterday and it is slightly different

I'm going to keep doing it but when I do week one again I'm going to replace some of the salad with hot dishes - I prefer hot food even in summer

Reactions: maglil55

Boo1979

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Looks like some things have changed, but others remain the same - particularly the amount / calorie density of the food
I had a quick tot up of the nutrition data given on the DD site forvthe plan - 11 out of the 14 days have over 2,000 cals ( top being 2533 lowest 1714) carbs vary between 20 & 10 daily.
I know for me when I have eaten that level of calories following low carb ( around 25-30g carbs) I gain weight. I personlly found the DD keto challenge impossible to follow for more than a couple of days due to the sheer amount of food
Im glad its working for you and keep at it xas with most things dietwise, what work for some wont work for others

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

They have changed it. The eggs are still there and the cabbage but it only appears twice - an Asian crack slaw and an Italian one. Nowhere near the scale we experienced though.
The whole site has changed beyond all recognition to be honest. About the only thing we could do was delete the odd recipe. Now there are loads of meal plans and you can delete, substitute, create your own plans, adapt for intermittent fasting or whatever system you are following. It's a lot more user friendly. One of my favourite Salmon recipes which was in our 2 week challenge vanished but I made it so often I know it by heart. So they've removed recipes too.
Took me a while to look at a cabbage again though but as @Brunneria says the moral of the story was certainly check your portions.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There's a lot of cabbage this week, and I'm a day behind so my Sunday is today - which is the Asian crack slaw - just pre prepped the cabbage and I agree it looks soooo much lol - have also made a 6 egg frittata for my next 3 brekkies as dont do well with scrambled egg on its own :yuck: - I looked at the one you did yesterday and it is slightly different

I'm going to keep doing it but when I do week one again I'm going to replace some of the salad with hot dishes - I prefer hot food even in summer
Well done on the BGs and the weight loss. I'm a member of Diet Doctor. Not sure what the situation is but do you have to be a member to access all the meal plans and recipes?
Must admit I've never regretted joining. Its $9 pm so it varies with the value of the £ - last month it was £7.39 but it give you access to loads of information , recipes and meal plans. Now you can adjust the meal plans to suit it's made a huge difference.
Stick with it - it works.

Reactions: Chook and Brunneria

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
They have changed it. The eggs are still there and the cabbage but it only appears twice - an Asian crack slaw and an Italian one. Nowhere near the scale we experienced though.
The whole site has changed beyond all recognition to be honest. About the only thing we could do was delete the odd recipe. Now there are loads of meal plans and you can delete, substitute, create your own plans, adapt for intermittent fasting or whatever system you are following. It's a lot more user friendly. One of my favourite Salmon recipes which was in our 2 week challenge vanished but I made it so often I know it by heart. So they've removed recipes too.
Took me a while to look at a cabbage again though but as @Brunneria says the moral of the story was certainly check your portions.

Yes, it took me a long white to look at cabbage again, apart from red cabbage and spring greens I've only eaten cabbage once in the last year.

I use the DD recipes quite often.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just looked back at our long thread on the DD low carb challenge and am sitting laughing. I was laughing at Mr Chook's discussion with the neighbour that you'd gone onto a Swedish eggs and cabbage diet, the Blazing Saddles campfire discussion due to our fridges being overloaded with lots of greenery and the slowly dawning realisation that we were not allowing for 2 dinners + 1 lunch but 4 dinners + 2 lunches! No wonder there were so many eggs and cabbage packed fridge. It was funny though.

johnme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, it took me a long white to look at cabbage again, apart from red cabbage and spring greens I've only eaten cabbage once in the last year.

I use the DD recipes quite often.

I love the cabbage. My wife hates it. Oh dear.

Reactions: Chook

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looks like some things have changed, but others remain the same - particularly the amount / calorie density of the food
I had a quick tot up of the nutrition data given on the DD site forvthe plan - 11 out of the 14 days have over 2,000 cals ( top being 2533 lowest 1714) carbs vary between 20 & 10 daily.
I know for me when I have eaten that level of calories following low carb ( around 25-30g carbs) I gain weight. I personlly found the DD keto challenge impossible to follow for more than a couple of days due to the sheer amount of food
Im glad its working for you and keep at it xas with most things dietwise, what work for some wont work for others
Yes we are all different - I lost most of my weight on counting calories 1200 a day but have been stuck for about 6 months - I worried about the amount of calories but I've been proved wrong lol - I don't eat all the fat they use I don't weigh it just do it by eye - I'm pretty good at "weighing by sight" it's something you become expert in when you are an experienced chef. I sometimes weigh my "guess" and 9 times out of 10 I'm spot on.

Just edited to add that you don't have to eat everything- you just eat until your full - I've just had the Asian cabbage stir fry and only eaten 3/4 of it so have halved the one prepared for lunch tomorrow and have frozen the spare for lunch on Saturday:)

Last edited:

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on the BGs and the weight loss. I'm a member of Diet Doctor. Not sure what the situation is but do you have to be a member to access all the meal plans and recipes?
Must admit I've never regretted joining. Its $9 pm so it varies with the value of the £ - last month it was £7.39 but it give you access to loads of information , recipes and meal plans. Now you can adjust the meal plans to suit it's made a huge difference.
Stick with it - it works.
Yes you have to be a member to access all of it but there are a lot of free recipes you can still access - I may consider membership in the future if I feel I need to :)

seanj67

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did the old 2 week challenge and liked it a lot, but for me the cream based dishes were way to rich and I got to the point that I avoided them. What I did do though was print off all my favourite recipes and put them in a folder which I still use. That crackslaw is so good, as is the tex-mex mince.

Also if you Google, a lot of the recipes turn up on food sites for free. I really like the site and for the small amount each month it's worth it for the information.

Reactions: lovinglife