Dealing with a Summer Cold

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hello there,
I normally don't catch colds and haven't had the flu in years but this week I got hit with one hell of a cold. I started noticing something was going on last Sunday at the movies - half way in to the new Star Trek movie I started coughing a bit and thought maybe it was just a reaction to the air conditioner - but on Monday at work that cough started to transform in to a congestion type thing and on Tuesday I woke up with Pink Eye - I went in to work again, probably shouldn't have done that. I bought anti-bacterial eye drops and have been treating my eyes 4 times a day - the pink eye seems to be gone but I'm going to continue treatment for the next couple of days. Wednesday and today I didn't bother going in to work as at times my cough has become somewhat of a hack. Yesterday was bad, today is much better and I hope to get a good sleep tonight.
Anyway - having Type 1 I've been keeping close tabs on my Blood Glucose Levels keeping them between 6 - 10, I've cut back on my insulin dosages as when I'm sick I seem to burn more energy which translates to low BGs. I hit 3.3 yesterday morning so I cut my Lantus back by 3 units last night and this morning my BG was at 8 which is fine in my books, fighting off a cold. I've been drinking lots of water and have only been eating fruit mixed with Greek Yogurt as it's been very humid with temperatures hovering around 30 Celsius so my appetite is a bit off . Here's my issue - I'm going to a 3 day music festival tomorrow on the mainland and unless my cold takes a turn for the worse ... I'm going.
My question - how do other people with diabetes treat those annoying colds? Does it have a significant affect on your condition? Anything you do to assist your immune system in attacking those irritating cold viruses?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@fletchweb to be honest there's not a fat deal you can do once a cold takes hold, I drink lots of fluids to help flush it through, I also find a very hot curry works well too, but other than that lots of testing and correction doses where necessary, hope it passes before your festival ;)

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Curry, I didn't think of that. After reading your reply I ran downstairs and made some mushroom soup with extra hot curry. It loosened everything up! Great idea :)

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I swear by Echinacea.