Dealing With Hypos

Kellyx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The last few weeks I have been getting a lot of hypos! I'm currently 10 weeks into my pregnancy so it's still quite early!
I'm finding it very difficult to deal with them, thankfully I have always been able to feel when I'm getting a hypo which does help prevent it going too low at times but I'm getting nearly 3 hypos a day! Sometimes more.. I have spoken to a diabetic nurse who said to keep checking my blood and having frequent snacks, I check my blood unimaginable times during the day lol but i always seem to just miss it before i will hypo making it difficult to avoid them. It's like they come on very quick and they feel like they are taking longer to treat and like I need more dextrose or lucozade etc to get my sugars up! Apart from the pregnancy side of things they're making me feel run down and drained as I am also getting them at least once a night making it difficult for me to get back asleep afterwards, the hospital says its to be expected and that it won't last long and that it is because I was changed from lantus to insulatard.. Not sure what to think of that but I'm wondering does anyone have any other advice for me that might help prevent them?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hypos are extremely common in pregnancy, so yes, it's normal :) And yes, they are different - they can come on quickly, need more treatment and more top-up food, and it's not unusual to go low, treat, eat a snack, and still be low and need more treatment. They do start easing off around 18weeks or so (approx).

Sometimes I tested every 30 mins or even more often when I was going through lows in the morning. I also drank Lucozade, ate sweets and had snacks with no bolus with no effect on my BS! All normal.

Have you spoken to your DSN about a possible temporary reduction in your basal insulin? I'm on a pump so I can't make suggestions but I believe some ladies on MDI do have to,reduce their basal.

As for the nighttime low, I set my alarm every night, had Lucozade and ate a snack then.

My tips are to check about possible basal reduction, test as often as you need, keep hypo treatments everywhere, and have good, concentrated carby food top ups like flapjacks, cereal bars, bananas, etc.

You may also be able to reduce your meal ratios slightly but do check with your team first. Personally, I found it easier to just top up with snacks as needed.

Kellyx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hypos are extremely common in pregnancy, so yes, it's normal :) And yes, they are different - they can come on quickly, need more treatment and more top-up food, and it's not unusual to go low, treat, eat a snack, and still be low and need more treatment. They do start easing off around 18weeks or so (approx).

Sometimes I tested every 30 mins or even more often when I was going through lows in the morning. I also drank Lucozade, ate sweets and had snacks with no bolus with no effect on my BS! All normal.

Have you spoken to your DSN about a possible temporary reduction in your basal insulin? I'm on a pump so I can't make suggestions but I believe some ladies on MDI do have to,reduce their basal.

As for the nighttime low, I set my alarm every night, had Lucozade and ate a snack then.

My tips are to check about possible basal reduction, test as often as you need, keep hypo treatments everywhere, and have good, concentrated carby food top ups like flapjacks, cereal bars, bananas, etc.

You may also be able to reduce your meal ratios slightly but do check with your team first. Personally, I found it easier to just top up with snacks as needed.

Thank you very much! Yes I'm definitely going to have to set one or two alarms during the night! Have a appointment with my diabetic team in a few days so I'll definitely ask them about the insulin adjusting!

Reactions: 2 people

Mrsass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Kellyx do you feel like you are starting to look like a bottle of lucozade? (Or whatever your hypo treatment is!) I did at your stage lol changing my basal - especially through the night) seemed to help calm them down but through the day at one point when I was barely on any insulin they were still happening, I couldn't even take my dog on a 10 minute walk without needing a load of sweets in my pocket! Lol so yes speaking to your team about reductions would be my advice too, and making sure you are always carrying something :)

Kellyx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Kellyx do you feel like you are starting to look like a bottle of lucozade? (Or whatever your hypo treatment is!) I did at your stage lol changing my basal - especially through the night) seemed to help calm them down but through the day at one point when I was barely on any insulin they were still happening, I couldn't even take my dog on a 10 minute walk without needing a load of sweets in my pocket! Lol so yes speaking to your team about reductions would be my advice too, and making sure you are always carrying something :)
That sounds exactly like me!! I'm sick of looking at lucozade and Gluco tabs I never want to see them or have them again! Lol! At least it's not just me X

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That sounds exactly like me!! I'm sick of looking at lucozade and Gluco tabs I never want to see them or have them again! Lol! At least it's not just me X

The sad thing is you'll still need the Lucozade after delivery : D Most people have hypos then too, and for a while after birth.

So no escape from the Lucozade! I've drunk gallons of the stuff in the last year or two :D

Reactions: 2 people

Kellyx

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The sad thing is you'll still need the Lucozade after delivery : D Most people have hypos then too, and for a while after birth.

So no escape from the Lucozade! I've drunk gallons of the stuff in the last year or two :D
Oh no! Haha it really is a life saver though