Type 1 dental extraction and blood sugars

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hello all!
yesterday I had 22 teeth pulled, yes it’s as painful as it sounds.. unfortunately bad genetics and bad controlled blood sugar as a teenager forced me to get dentures fitted.

I was put under general anaesthetic for the surgery and since then I have only been able to drink a strawberry milkshake drink, which I injected for. (I carb count using novorapid)

before bed, my blood sugar was 13.0, which surprised me somewhat. I administered a small correction dose and went to sleep as usual.
I woke up today to find my blood sugar was 16.0!!! I’m very confused. I haven’t eaten or drunk anything as I’m having to re-learn everything with my new dentures and somehow I’m struggling to keep my blood sugars down??

I am taking co-dydromal pain killers and have been given the antibiotics amoxicillin to take 3 times a day, i was expecting to be hypo as I can’t eat so I was not prepared for this!
does anyone have any solutions, is it the antibiotics or maybe just the pain I’ve been in elevating my BG?

thank you in advance for any help, I know it’s a lot to take in!

D

Deleted Account

I suspect it is the pain and stress of having teeth removed which is raising your BG.
You could increase your basal insulin but take care not to hypo or just correct as you are doing with your NovoRapid.

Reactions: samowen268

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Unfortunately when we are stressed our bodies release hormones - cortisol and adrenaline, which causes our blood glucose levels to become raised, keep doing regular testing and if you can get some gentle exercise so go for a walk.

I'm sure you've been told to take it easy, so rest up as much as you can and you should hopefully see your levels return to normal soon.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
I empathise, to an extent,

As a child I have 9 pulled under local anaesthetic and since then I have never trusted a dentist as things went horribly wrong.

I think, as others have said, your rise is probably due to stress. Your body has suffered a lot of trauma in the last day or so and it might take a little while to settle down again.

Take it easy.

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Unfortunately when we are stressed our bodies release hormones - cortisol and adrenaline, which causes our blood glucose levels to become raised, keep doing regular testing and if you can get some gentle exercise so go for a walk.

I'm sure you've been told to take it easy, so rest up as much as you can and you should hopefully see your levels return to normal soon.

I suspected as much, thank you!

samowen268

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I empathise, to an extent,

As a child I have 9 pulled under local anaesthetic and since then I have never trusted a dentist as things went horribly wrong.

I think, as others have said, your rise is probably due to stress. Your body has suffered a lot of trauma in the last day or so and it might take a little while to settle down again.

Take it easy.

Oh goodness, I had to be asleep, no way could I do it under local anaesthetic! I thought this too, thank you for the response.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I would say its the pain and stress. When I go to the dentist my BGs rise very quickly and that is before I am sot on the dentist chair! Hate the dentist lol